What was manumission like in the glory days?

Ended up getting involved with involved with the Manumission lot at the opening party in 97. We were in Bar M (for an unnecessary) and they were one short on the PR team and I thought why not might as well get involved. Got donned up as Elvis and going round San An with 20 or so other Elvis's, 7 dwarf Evlis's a couple of tranny's on stilt's and girls in go-go out fits. They were filming Manumisson the movie and Sky as I remember. Sang a great Love me tender and hound dog on a few bars round San An that night. Then when we go to privilege everyone else had a talent, dancer, magician , Juggler etc, and all did their bit I was given a load of strange questions to ask the crowd and sweets and alcohol to give out as prizes and had a toy gun which I became very attached to! Think I must have met half the club in the first hour and given away most of the freebees ment for the night. They kindly told me just to go off and have fun! I got lost and ended up in the room where Fat Boy Slim was chilling out in before he went on. Nice guy and was happy for me to chew his ear of & man could I talk toilet in them days. Wondered why everyone was crowded round the pool area looking at what I thought was a fountain (turned out to be where the sex show was). Eventually found my mates in the dome, at this point I was the bedraggeled Elvis and worse for ware. The seen the sunrise in that place through the dome & those massive windows WOW... Then Remember (kinda) arriving at carry on at space after manumission at privilege in 1997 still dressed as Elvis from the night before. Just on holiday but got involved with the manumission crew for one night only... Good times.... Ended up being on Ibiza Uncovered s1 ep3 I think although can only find the 1st part online & don't know if Manumission the movie ever came to anything (doubt I'd be in much if any of that though)

:oops: :eek: :oops:

... they were one short on the PR team and I thought why not might as well get involved. Got donned up as Elvis and going round San An with 20 or so other Elvis's, 7 dwarf Evlis's a couple of tranny's on stilt's and girls in go-go out fits ...

:rolleyes: :lol: :cool: :twisted:

Manumission was always about the show more than the music, still a teenager back then I thought it was immense, not so sure now.

I remember the drapings catching fire, possibly 97? People were that off their scone they thought it was part of the entertainment. Rumour at the time was there was 12000 (exaggerated I'm sure) in the club but only 6000 came back in after the alarm. They really were scenes...

Ended up getting involved with involved with the Manumission lot at the opening party in 97. We were in Bar M (for an unnecessary) and they were one short on the PR team and I thought why not might as well get involved. Got donned up as Elvis and going round San An with 20 or so other Elvis's, 7 dwarf Evlis's a couple of tranny's on stilt's and girls in go-go out fits. They were filming Manumisson the movie and Sky as I remember. Sang a great Love me tender and hound dog on a few bars round San An that night. Then when we go to privilege everyone else had a talent, dancer, magician , Juggler etc, and all did their bit I was given a load of strange questions to ask the crowd and sweets and alcohol to give out as prizes and had a toy gun which I became very attached to! Think I must have met half the club in the first hour and given away most of the freebees ment for the night. They kindly told me just to go off and have fun! I got lost and ended up in the room where Fat Boy Slim was chilling out in before he went on. Nice guy and was happy for me to chew his ear of & man could I talk toilet in them days. Wondered why everyone was crowded round the pool area looking at what I thought was a fountain (turned out to be where the sex show was). Eventually found my mates in the dome, at this point I was the bedraggeled Elvis and worse for ware. The seen the sunrise in that place through the dome & those massive windows WOW... Then Remember (kinda) arriving at carry on at space after manumission at privilege in 1997 still dressed as Elvis from the night before. Just on holiday but got involved with the manumission crew for one night only... Good times.... Ended up being on Ibiza Uncovered s1 ep3 I think although can only find the 1st part online & don't know if Manumission the movie ever came to anything (doubt I'd be in much if any of that though)

Love this. Manumission movie is out there, got in on VHS at home.

Disagree with Floyd that it was about the show rather than the music. It wasn't to start with, maybe became a bit like that later. The beauty was you never knew who was DJing until you turned up. Manumission Carry On... was just crazy and all about the music!

I only ever went to Manumission after 2002, I never thought it was that great, from what I heard it was at its best in the mid 90's.. by the 2000's it was losing its steam, the main thing was pushed hard at hotels and 18/30 type holidays as the place to go, therefore the crowd was very british, not necessarily into clubbing either, just getting drunk/pulling/standing around

It became a bit of a joke and a bit cringy, out of regular people that visited the island, its a place you would avoid, and why would you go when there was Cocoon over the road!

I only ever went to Manumission after 2002, I never thought it was that great, from what I heard it was at its best in the mid 90's.. by the 2000's it was losing its steam, the main thing was pushed hard at hotels and 18/30 type holidays as the place to go, therefore the crowd was very british, not necessarily into clubbing either, just getting drunk/pulling/standing around

It became a bit of a joke and a bit cringy, out of regular people that visited the island, its a place you would avoid, and why would you go when there was Cocoon over the road!

Agree. It did lose its appeal after those first few years.

Back