What was manumission like in the glory days?

I first went to Ibiza in '97 and everyone was buzzing about Manumission but my mate and I had booked a last minute deal and went with a tour company (which shall remain nameless) and in our naivety let the reps convince us to buy all their crap and so missed out. The next year we booked flight and hotel separately but then just before we were due to go my mate broke his leg in a motorbike accident and had to cry off so I went on my own determined to do Cream, Manumission and We Love (I did all 3... YAY!). It was the Manumission opening so I knew it would be crowded and got my ticket that morning. I was waiting in the queue talking to randoms as you do and as we got near the front I could see there was a young lady wearing an evening dress that she was spilling out of the top of and a huge guy who must have been 6' 6" tall dressed completely in bright pink fur with random holes cut into it. He beckoned me over and loomed right over me (I'm 5' 4") so that the pink fur of his suit was tickling my nose. I instinctively stepped back and he asked, "Are you on your own?", and I nodded. He then said "Press the button". I had all kinds of WTF's going through my head at that moment and was in no way feeling MASSIVELY uncomfortable or in any way intimidated. Honest. He then pointed to his belly button that was exposed and repeated his request. I nervously pressed his belly button and he said, "BZZZZZ!!!" and reached behind him before handing me a red apple (I dread to think where he might have had that stashed). I thanked him for the apple and turned to take my place back in the queue when he said "Press again!". "BZZZZZ!!! In you go!" and he ushered me in. It's the only time I've ever been allowed into an Ibiza nightclub for free without even trying and I still had my 9000 peseta ticket in my back pocket. Poo.

What I didn't know was that between my first visit to the island and this visit they had broadcast Ibiza Uncovered on SKY and so the night was unbelievably rammed. Even with my sketchy memory I reckon there must have been close to 15,000 people in there. People were fainting and looking ill all over the place and people suffering were being carried, dragged or ushered into the dome to cool off. I bought 4 bottles of water, stashing them in my pockets and offering drinks to those randoms I saw that looked like they were suffering. And then about 3-3:30 am the crowd suddenly thinned and everyone could breathe again. I really enjoyed what I saw of Fatboy Slim which is weird because I can't stand his music. I was able to explore and one highlight was a male and female dwarf dressed in bondage gear with the male wearing like a horse's bridal and bit sat on the floor in one of the side rooms casually playing pat-a-cake. Brilliant!

Last edited:
I first went to Ibiza in '97 and everyone was buzzing about Manumission but my mate and I had booked a last minute deal and went with a tour company (which shall remain nameless) and in our naivety let the reps convince us to buy all their crap and so missed out. The next year we booked flight and hotel separately but then just before we were due to go my mate broke his leg in a motorbike accident and had to cry off so I went on my own determined to do Cream, Manumission and We Love (I did all 3... YAY!). It was the Manumission opening so I knew it would be crowded and got my ticket that morning. I was waiting in the queue talking to randoms as you do and as we got near the front I could see there was a young lady wearing an evening dress that she was spilling out of the top of and a huge guy who must have been 6' 6" tall dressed completely in bright pink fur with random holes cut into it. He beckoned me over and loomed right over me (I'm 5' 4") so that the pink fur of his suit was tickling my nose. I instinctively stepped back and he asked, "Are you on your own?", and I nodded. He then said "Press the button". I had all kinds of WTF's going through my head at that moment and was in no way feeling MASSIVELY uncomfortable or in any way intimidated. Honest. He then pointed to his belly button that was exposed and repeated his request. I nervously pressed his belly button and he said, "BZZZZZ!!!" and reached behind him before handing me a red apple (I dread to think where he might have had that stashed). I thanked him for the apple and turned to take my place back in the queue when he said "Press again!". "BZZZZZ!!! In you go!" and he ushered me in. It's the only time I've ever been allowed into an Ibiza nightclub for free without even trying and I still had my 900 peseta ticket in my back pocket. Poo.

What I didn't know was that between my first visit to the island and this visit they had broadcast Ibiza Uncovered on SKY and so the night was unbelievably rammed. Even with my sketchy memory I reckon there must have been close to 15,000 people in there. People were fainting and looking ill all over the place and people suffering were being carried, dragged or ushered into the dome to cool off. I bought 4 bottles of water, stashing them in my pockets and offering drinks to those randoms I saw that looked like they were suffering. And then about 3-3:30 am the crowd suddenly thinned and everyone could breathe again. I really enjoyed what I saw of Fatboy Slim which is weird because I can't stand his music. I was able to explore and one highlight was a male and female dwarf dressed in bondage gear with the male wearing like a horse's bridal and bit sat on the floor in one of the side rooms casually playing pat-a-cake. Brilliant!
Great story!

Back