What was manumission like in the glory days?

Is it true about Coxy trying to get some sleep in the Motel, but semi-naked women kept kicking the door in?!?!

I was never at Manumission (massive regret) but i've 2 stories from mates...

One was so wrecked he ended up going through some tiny door that he thought was a toilet, and ended up in a dressing room full of dwarfs and transvestites...

The other stole a BMX from the side of the stage and managed to cycle across the stage, before being dragged out by security...

:lol::lol:

Attended a few times in early 00s including a closing party, it had toned down by then but still a pretty crazy party. Good times.

Mrs went to the tail end and maintains production wise it was the best party she has ever been to.

I only got to go when it moved to Amnesia :(

I went in 99/2000 and the only thing I recall from in there was these ant things on stilts with massive eyes looking down on me. Pretty sure there was a telephone box in the middle of the dance floor too. Proper bizarre.

Is it true about Coxy trying to get some sleep in the Motel, but semi-naked women kept kicking the door in?!?!

I was never at Manumission (massive regret) but i've 2 stories from mates...

One was so wrecked he ended up going through some tiny door that he thought was a toilet, and ended up in a dressing room full of dwarfs and transvestites...

The other stole a BMX from the side of the stage and managed to cycle across the stage, before being dragged out by security...

:lol::lol:
the once I went there was a half pipe with a guy doing tricks on it at the back of the main room, totally forgot about that!

First time we went in 97, was first visit to one of the big Ibiza clubs, I remember getting in and a spectacular tranny on stilts asking me my name and making me a name badge :)
Then getting a warm bottle of Carlsberg for my free drink :(- you used to get one with your ticket, that was pretty much the norm for the clubs in those days, along with free taxis for 4people.
quite easily lost everyone, it was last week of july so rammed , plus Ibiza uncovered had elevated the night to new heights of notoriety. After a bit of a dance on the bouncy dancefloor I remember the music changing , and the show starting on the stage. The looking overhead and seeing naked trapeze/acrobat girls flying over. I remember someone handing out free pills, I cant remember whether it was a manumission staff person or just a generous clubber.
Somehow ended up dancing on the platform above the pool, the DJ booth wasn't located there back in 97. when I look back on that I shudder as I am a sh*t dancer, but I still remember that quite vividly, cos my mate who I hadn't seen for an hour was up there too :)
Went back in 98 and twice in 99, in 99 I decided to dress as a priest due to having a black shirt with me in my case, and by coincidence the theme of the night was religion. I recall lots of photos with VERY attractive nuns. Think it was that year we heard Banarama "Robert de niros waiting...." In the coco loco at 7am :) I also remember enjoying a Judge Jules set, which was unusual! went the carryon in 99 which was morning madness in space, loved the big welcoming "carry on" inflatable at the doors of space
It was still a good night in 2002 which was my last visit but I think the "shock" and infamy of the night had worn off a little bit. Some people were complaining it was a night for "tourists" who wanted to just walk round and take photos rather than get involved. They might have had a point, but I think now IMO , a lot (the majority?) of the nights in Ibiza are bland tech-house nights, with stylized brands , all about a "name" DJ, and everyone facing said DJ one hand in the air , phone in the other. Manumission was way more fun and random.

i thought Ku became Priviledge some time in the 90's? It was at Priviledge when i went and it just seemed too big for it and music was abit Stilton

First went in 98 and it was unlike anything i'd ever seen. A few highlights over the years include a powercut during Fatboy Slim at a closing party when the club flooded and Zoe Ball jumping out a cake (i think) seeing a dwarf getting a blowjob from a massive man in a dress, being given free drugs by a woman dressed as a parrot, threatening to throw someone off the balcony after he took 20 Euros off me for a tablet that came with a little foil disk attatched, standing in open eyed wonder when Born Slippy was dropped and 10,000 people went mental and being invited to wank someone off in the toilets while watching a massive thunderstorm (i politely declined) I also went to the last ever one at Privilege on the first week of a holiday and the second week it had moved to Amnesia!

The first time i went to Manumission in 2000 i walked into the main room and Santos - Camels was playing. It was something i will always remember as that was such a perfect tune for the Main room at privilege.
I saw John Kelly a few times at Manumission and he really knew how to rock the main room. Also Alfredo and i can remember him playing back 2 back with his son!
What sticks in the mind most about Manumission is the Carry on's at Space. Things always got messy but i can remember the sense of freedom you got from still partying well into the next day. Great days.

Everyone has their reasons for falling in Love with Ibiza...one of mine was walking into Manumission for the very first time in '99. Just completely blown away. The level of entertainment that went into these parties was something else, you had a whole team of hundreds purely there to entertain and f*ck with your head...it was a spectacle...and felt special. No dj line-ups promoted beforehand...bit like Glastonbury in a way...you went for the party. But then when you see some huge name just randomly turn up, it just added to the buzz and excitement...like Fatboy Slim (in his prime) dj'ing in the toilets!! Nothing will ever come close to Manumission for so many reasons, Cream at the time was amazing too...but Manumission was iconic. Great memories...

Got to experience Manumission only once in 2000 and I'm so pleased that I did. No other clubbing experience comes close ........
I remember someone handed me a potato in the middle of the dance floor baffled I passed it on !

We were handed lettuce leafs as we entered. My mate tried to hand it over at the bar hahaha.

Went number of times 98 and 99...(and 2007ish at amnesia which was terrible)

Remember the white sock ban on the way in (cue numerous Germans
Going in sock less)

Bmx's on the dance floor

Cabbage leaves being handed out

Funkstar deluxe sun is shining being played as the sun rising in Main room

Mike manumission doling afters tickets out with a toothbrush in his pocket (telling me it would be a long night)

No dj's announced till the night

Dj's in the toilets

18 years later nothing comes close

some cracking memories there lol! it was unique. there have been plenty of amazing parties over the years, but nothing remotely like manumission. my missus took a busload of tourists there every monday during the 96 season ('round the world season); some brilliant parties and surprise djs and still the best flyers ever - the perforated ones for filters :lol:

Back