When are you too old?

there's no rules to any of this. we're all guinea pigs.

i hit 46 in a couple of weeks which, with the body of an 80 year old and the maturity of an 18 year old, is probably about right

i just wish there were more options for people like me who hate dance festivals and big events, which is why my antenna's always alert for intimate, under the radar stuff.

*obv all on ice for the foreseeable - just so tragic as LOR said that we all just lost a precious year of our lives

I'd love to know how many of these 'originals' still party, your Oakies, Ramplings, etc. Or are they still doing it as it pays the bills. You definitely get the feeling the Clockwork crew still love it
Farley and the Faith lot still seem to me to have a right enthusiasm for it all, but more low key than the CO lot.

my attitude is call it a day when you physically/mentally can't do it anymore, or if real life gets in the way

I think the rise of boutique festies around Europe was initially a bid to corner a untapped 'mature' market that can't do it week in/week out now and saves itself for summer specials, but now increasingly a reflection of the grim reality that there are hardly any suitable clubs left now of the type we grew up with

there is a massive nostalgia 'wedding' market but that isn't for me. I know I wouldn't enjoy CO musically even if it might be a laugh on some levels

so where next? I dunno. Personally I'm just happiest at private events where I know people on same level.

Very curious to see what survives in IBZ if this season is another write-off - my guess is more stuff pitched at oldies with cash to burn...

Last edited:
I'm 40 this year and I feel like an old bastard physically. Years of pies and fags taking their toll. Im still a big kid though.

Still love the music and the culture but clubbing isn't really on my radar anymore. While we still had the Reading Rooms locally, I would drop in from time to time to show face, support and have a dance. But long gone are the days when everything revolved around it, that exciting feeling of anticipation of a mental weekend ahead you would get on a Friday (as daft as Human Traffic is I think it captures the pre-club excitement perfectly), and random post-afterparty trips to Glasgow or London on a whim with no hotels booked knowing you'll end up at a party somewhere after the club, then making it home late on Sunday or early Monday and feeling like a hero. Don't miss Mondays hanging on to the edge of my desk for dear life. When I'm out in Ibiza I like to know what's on, and will dip a toe in from time to time, but its not my principle reason for going and hasnt been for a long time.

But I don't think your age should define who you are or what you do. If you still wanna go out and have a good time, don't let anybody tell you that you're too old. If they think that then more fool them.

I turned 30 in December and I'm getting those thoughts. I don't act 30 and plenty would say I don't quite look it but it's definitely a mental hurdle, i'm definitely thinking of how long I have before I start to look weird (Not just in Ibiza, but clubs too) rather than just excitement thinking ahead to it.
?
I think it wasn't helped by the fact that I went to Zante last year, due to covid, and even with me being "26" I felt so old, at least Ibiza has a higher average age ? . The lads I'm supposed to be coming with this year (?) are all early 20s, so we'll definitely not be having an older person's trip and I'll certainly hit it harder than them.

A lot here will laugh at me for thinking this but I've not come to terms with having a 3 at the start of my age yet

I turned 30 in December and I'm getting those thoughts. I don't act 30 and plenty would say I don't quite look it but it's definitely a mental hurdle, i'm definitely thinking of how long I have before I start to look weird (Not just in Ibiza, but clubs too) rather than just excitement thinking ahead to it.
?
I think it wasn't helped by the fact that I went to Zante last year, due to covid, and even with me being "26" I felt so old, at least Ibiza has a higher average age ? . The lads I'm supposed to be coming with this year (?) are all early 20s, so we'll definitely not be having an older person's trip and I'll certainly hit it harder than them.

A lot here will laugh at me for thinking this but I've not come to terms with having a 3 at the start of my age yet
Yes we will laugh at that young lad?? I remember when I was approaching my 30's..27 my first season Ibiza

Loads of old people in Ibiza still partying and having a good time, that's one of the things I love about ibiza

I used to party every week when I was younger and loved it.... now I still party every now and again in average about once every 2 or 3 months. I mostly now save myself for partying at festivals and for Ibiza..

I'm 48 and definitely no intentions of considering myself too old for anything (except TikTok, why do adults use that?)
I'm fitter than I was 20 years ago, and definitely party better than I did 20 years ago...but jeez, why do hangovers last 3 days now?

Ibiza is one of the few places where age genuinely never seems to matter (or maybe it just doesn't matter to me), but if anything I think us oldies know how to have a good time more than the 20 year old Insta crew. I care less about what people think, am probably more spontaneous...and got LOADS of years of partying in Ibiza left (albeit interspersed with chilled days of beaches and lovely food, rather than 5 days straight through on one cheese and ham toastie and some burger king chips)

look at some of the locals living in Ibiza town, never too old :D <3

Nearly 46 and still doing 3-4 days straight through (although more salami and cheese baguette than toastie). Once I'm all carried away upon landing its hard to get back on the straight and narrow (only 5 or 6 party weekends a year as opposed than 52 in the good old days)

I'm 48 and definitely no intentions of considering myself too old for anything (except TikTok, why do adults use that?)
I'm fitter than I was 20 years ago, and definitely party better than I did 20 years ago...but jeez, why do hangovers last 3 days now?

Ibiza is one of the few places where age genuinely never seems to matter (or maybe it just doesn't matter to me), but if anything I think us oldies know how to have a good time more than the 20 year old Insta crew. I care less about what people think, am probably more spontaneous...and got LOADS of years of partying in Ibiza left (albeit interspersed with chilled days of beaches and lovely food, rather than 5 days straight through on one cheese and ham toastie and some burger king chips)

look at some of the locals living in Ibiza town, never too old :D <3
???? Yes adults doing tick tok winds me up it's actually quite pathetic

When they Mime to these songs and do this basic stupid dance moves ???

Have racked my brains and have absolutely zero idea what you mean by this dude!
No mystery ? I survive on salami and cheese baguettes from the Spar when I absolutely need to eat (probably because I don't need to speak to but one). By day two ordering a toastie is beyond me

Back