When are you too old?

Life of Rye

So I first hit Ibiza for the music at the age of 28....Been 3 times.....Will be returning next year at the age of 30

Now when I say I am 30 and going Ibiza I think jeez what must people think!!

Yet I do not feel 30 and I would even go as far to say I don't look it!

So how old are the clubbers of Ibiza here?

Never too old.

Don't really worry what people make of me going to Ibiza, although I'm the first to admit that I could have maybe travelled a bit more had I not been so obsessed over the past 12 years (that and having family in California). To be honest, most folk's idea of Ibiza who have never been is shaped by Ibiza Uncovered or whatever the modern Living Channel equivalent is called, or Kevin and Perry.

I don't club as much as I used to when I'm there, sometimes not at all. It's not really my principle reason for visiting now, but reckon I'd always be up for going out if there was something I spotted than I fancied going to. And I'm always scanning the party threads in the weeks before visiting just so I know whats on.

I actually think as you get over 30, you need Ibiza more as it is the only place where nobody cares if you are 18, 28, 38, 48 etc. I think the clubbing scene in a lot of cities e.g. London, LA are terribly ageist, and even in my early 30s in London I feel a bit out of place sometimes. I don't know many other scenes well enough to comment.

everyone I know on the scene in London is about 35-59 - not one has 'retired' due to their age. some have 'been' retired by wives/husbands/kids but that's another story. there is obvious age segregation in clubs though. a 45 year old isn't going to want to stumble into some chase & status earbleed convention full of kids on balloons and equally, some kid isn't likely to want to end up swaying to old Alison Limerick records with someone else's nostalgic mum. (well he might! but the point still stands..) The ancient taboos around going to clubs have been blown away because acid house is now 30 years old and who really wants to let go?

Never too old. Don't care what people think of someone going to Ibiza at my age. Unless they've been, they don't understand the magic of Ibiza anyway. I've just turned 47 and booked up again for next year. As I get older, for me anyway, it's more about making sure I do different/new things, meeting new and interesting people, and definitely seeing more of the island and enjoying the food that is on offer, rather than full on partying and hangovers. But I still love my music and manage a couple of big nights, just need a bit more recovery time.

I actually think as you get over 30, you need Ibiza more as it is the only place where nobody cares if you are 18, 28, 38, 48 etc. I think the clubbing scene in a lot of cities e.g. London, LA are terribly ageist, and even in my early 30s in London I feel a bit out of place sometimes. I don't know many other scenes well enough to comment.

Yeah, I don't really go clubbing back home now - mainly to do with good clubs closing down, places feeling less liberal and not having friends who share my tastes. I'm 41 and don't feel out of place when I go clubbing in Ibiza - still feels liberal and quite happy to wander into a club alone there (which would feel weird back home).

I'm 59 next week. Around that age, one really has to choose nights wisely both at home and on the island. I would actually club more if I had more weekends off. I do find that I will go to more early evening events if possible too.

At some point it won't feel "right" though and thats when I will reassess.

Last edited:
"Unless they've been, they don't understand the magic of Ibiza anyway"

That I believe to be very true

I get the impression people question why I am going
They are all settling down with children, getting married.....and I am single and thinking about the next event/festival/Ibiza

"Unless they've been, they don't understand the magic of Ibiza anyway"

That I believe to be very true

I get the impression people question why I am going
They are all settling down with children, getting married.....and I am single and thinking about the next event/festival/Ibiza

These things don't have to mutually exclusive. I'm a 42 year old devoted father of two and I had a great time in Ibiza this summer. Just a quick 5 days and only one club (Pacha) but I didn't feel two old.

I

I'm 43 and haven't really gone out clubbing in the UK for years and years but still go out when i'm in Ibiza. Even in my early 30's i would go on benders in Ibiza that would literally last days but now i just pick and choose nights carefully and i'm actually pretty horrified about the thought of coming out of somewhere in the early hours and going somewhere else nowadays.

In fact my age clearly has caught up with me because when i was reading about people moaning about the clubs shutting at 7am on the dot i was thinking "just go to bed ffs" haha

At 53 (me) and visiting Ibiza for around 25 years I dont think age really matters. What does happen is that your view and tastes in ibiza change over time and one of the big advantages of being in ibiza is that it caters from those who are really young to those who are more mature (like me).

'Clubbing' isnt the only ibiza attraction anymore.

I'm 40 and the missus is 45 and we've been to Ibiza about 8 times and try to go to at least 2 clubs depending who's playing around the time we are there , not once did it feel like your out of place as you would back home and every year she says its the last but now the daughter has been this year she actually wants to go out around the same time as us next year , likely in case she runs out of money lol she would have no problems going to clubs with me and her mum

Back