The Olympics

Sir Steve Redgrave is the greatest olympian as he did it over a longer period,.

Whilst Im not knocking Phelps' achievements, he's an amazing athlete, I doubt if he will be winning golds beyond 2012. Still as I said a great achievement

Also, how many medals would Carl Lewis have won if they had made several slight variants on the 100 & 200m? eg, 100m & 200m backwards, 100m hopping etc

Whilst Im not knocking Phelps' achievements, he's an amazing athlete, I doubt if he will be winning golds beyond 2012. Still as I said a great achievement

Also, how many medals would Carl Lewis have won if they had made several slight variants on the 100 & 200m? eg, 100m & 200m backwards, 100m hopping etc
I will disagree about Redgrave, but agree wholeheartedly about the greatest Olympian, Carl Lewis ;)

comparing a runner with a swimmer is like comparing chalk and cheese.

Phelps is the greatest olympic swimmer.

greatest ever? no chance. top 10 yes. top. no!

Redgrave, won all 5 of his as part of a team. - his achievement is getting to and winning 5 golds over 5 olympics. wouldn't be so sure he would have done that if he was rowing on his own.

Carl Lewis - 100m 200m and long jump. (discounting relays golds) 3 very different events over 3 olympics.

My greatest Olympian is Daley Thompson. 8)

I will disagree about Redgrave, but agree wholeheartedly about the greatest Olympian, Carl Lewis ;)

comparing a runner with a swimmer is like comparing chalk and cheese.

Phelps is the greatest olympic swimmer.

Never said he was the 'GREATEST'. HE IS the most 'succesful' with 11 golds, which could well possibly be 14 :eek: soon !!

And at 23 could quite easily be acheiveng more come 2012 in London !!

You guys!!
Slightly different Horses, for different courses!
That Phelps is amazing!
Redgrave is in his own right too!
As was Lewis!
All 3 will be well documented in the record books & rightly so!

pointless argument chewie, he wasnt single rower so what difference does it make?

however he stayed at the pinnacle of his sport for 16 years!!!!

and he was gracious with it too, more than can be said for any yank sprinter!! ;)

no cause he has a thing for blokes with tashes :lol:

:lol: Now this is a tash

VillagePeopleGuy.jpg

sorry saw the NBC clips last night and they were going whaaaaayyyy overboard!

And the BBC :eek:

Phelps is fantastic, and will do down in history along with Redgrave, Lewis, Spitz, etc etc.

The thing is, there is always some sort of histeria about one athlete at every games.

I was lucky to see Ian Thorpe get 2 golds in Sydney in 2000. It was absolutely amazing to whitness it in the flesh. Got to meet him aswell 8) But where is he now, he's forgotten about ?? The same will happen with Phelps.

last I heard he was hiring out his trainers on a boating lake in Sydney :lol:

Hey johnny, dya think Michael Phelps will score with "dubyas" daughter now?? ;)

Well done to Blake.

Federer is losing it big time!!!
Woohoo! Can't believe I missed that yesterday. I wonder if it's on replay somewhere.

Go James!! :D :D :D

I give credit for Roger's slump to that Gillette commercial :lol:

Back