Terrible terrible music

The only type of EDM that is genuinely, "off-the-scale", "face palm" terrible is speedcore. It's the only genre where "each to their own" goes out the window and you have to begin to question whether it even qualifies as music.

Although, jumpstyle, hardstyle and the other Dutch "core" genres are pretty nightmare-ish too - and I say that as a massive fan of UK hard house/hard trance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Super Polak. I love the way you think man.

Olly try to bare a genuine smile one day saddy pants.

I think, terrible music is just anything that sounds bad. Thats all it is. There's no Commercial VS Underground arguement, or 'Minimal' sucks arguement because one mans trash is anothers treasure. Music from generations past sounds horrible to me but magical to others. Theres no such thing as bad music, just a bad interpretation of it.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions not everything will suit everyone, but people have to learn to be abit more open minded about what other people like and start taking music for what it is socially because all they're doing is digging themselves into stereotypical cliche holes and surrounding themselves with like minded dickheads just so they can satisfy their own insecurities. They need their views validated. But it creates so much seperation and is exactly how 'bad' music is made, because people start to make music for stereotypes and follow the formats of that stereotypes genre and thus, eventually you can only follow those rules so far before you run out of resources to make something remarkable that could far surpass the quality of anything created before, if only the creators weren't so oftenly confined to their rules and believing that everything outside of what they know is bad.

From now on, I'm gonna call these people 'Olly's', as to me, he is the iconic representation of a closed off validation case.

This thread has done one thing for me, and that is given me hope that people actually do like variety and ARE open to other peoples opinions and tastes in music.

I love you guys :D

That's what frustrates me most about modern music more than anything, you know. It's this polarisation of attitudes.

Either people have a complete herd mentality and have their listening dictated by Radio One and self-interested music journalists or, it's the complete opposite, people have this "look at me, aren't I cool", underground mentality, where one very specific underground scene is the "be all and end all" and everything else is complete **** and there to be shot at. And, in the eyes of the underground "posers", if you're not in the latter group you have to come under the former group, by default. You're with us or against us. I often wonder if the latter group have ever thought that if the people they pity and argue with actually joined their "gang" their precious scene wouldn't be quite so underground and... well, cool.

So, people are either having any old nonsense fed to them by radio stations and music magazines who insincerely pretend to "like everything" and hop from fad to fad whenever directed, or people are dividing up the musical map and "hoisting up flags" like nationalistic musical zealots.

We all have our preferences, but what happened to the open-minded middle ground? The people who maybe do find the stuff played on Radio One generally a bit "naff" and generic but still try and take each track on it's merits... the people who see EDM as a homogenous, inter-connected whole... the people who find and discover music for themselves but won't by default shun a track that is revealed to them by more mainstream avenues... people who in some small way are sympathetic to the idea that some artists need to act as a bridge between mainstream and underground... the people who love music first and foremost as a creative art and not just as a symbol of status and individuality... people who aren't under any circumstances afraid to say "genre X or artist Y, proved me wrong"...people who do get frustrated when musical labels are misused, abused or needlessly created, but accept that there's nothing you can do about... these people do exist, don't they?

I know I've had a bit of a bash at a few EDM genres above, but to be honest, as much as I dislike them, I don't wish the likes of jumpstyle and hardstyle dead as sub-genres and I don't dislike people who listen to them. Speedcore though is slightly different as it does stretch the boundaries of what can fairly be called music, I think.

All music that is not good, is bad and therefore terrible.

Well, I don't generally have anything against mainstream music exept the fact, that once mainstream desides that track X is a hit, it is played constantly everywhere. And there are usually about 30 "hit songs" or so at the time. So, if you open up the radio or you go to a mainstream bar, you tend to listen only those 30 hit songs constantly, always and ever and if they are playing something else than those 30 hit songs, they are playing old hit songs and after a while you are so fed up with that *hit that you just want to hit your head against the wall. Also the mainstream has lack of creativity. Like if Artist X makes a one hit all his other songs get airplay automatically whatever it is a good song or not. Also, in a bar you cannot play any music that is not known for the people because at least in my home town people won't dance tunes they don't alraedy know. This is what couple of DJ's have told me. So, all music that we hear is preselected by two main factors - MTV and mainstream radio and I seriously believe, that some songs get airplay because of record compenies make some serious lobbiing. What I like, let's say House club scene, is that there aren't so specefic preselection going on. DJ's can freely go and get the music from where they want and they don't have to stick to hits and mainstream. Same goes to Hip Hop, disco, sould and funk clubs.

I pity people who satisfy their need of music with ordinary pop music.

Only music I really dislike is finnish pop/rockmusic. It's just terrible. If the only reason of a song is to make you depressed and sad and nostalgic, ok, then you can listen to this finnish grap but otherwise I should say that all those bands and records should be taken to some remote island and leave them there forever.

All music that is not good, is bad and therefore terrible.

Not sure I agree with that. There is average, generic, inoffensive or forgettable music as well... all of which are not necessarily terrible.

Well, I don't generally have anything against mainstream music exept the fact, that once mainstream desides that track X is a hit, it is played constantly everywhere. And there are usually about 30 "hit songs" or so at the time. So, if you open up the radio or you go to a mainstream bar, you tend to listen only those 30 hit songs constantly, always and ever and if they are playing something else than those 30 hit songs, they are playing old hit songs and after a while you are so fed up with that *hit that you just want to hit your head against the wall.

You have just described the problem with daytime Radio One. The same songs, (good, average and bad) played ad nauseum.... everyday, sometimes for 6 or 7 months. And, you're right, if that alone satisfies you musically then... well, you're musically "under-developed", shall we say.

I used to go to gabber parties in my teens. :lol:

They were fantastic.*

(I actually quite like the Thunderdome compliations) :oops:

* note they were actually full of hippy crusties and not Nazi skinheads.

Thank you phil for the example.

300-900bpm oh dear me that was terrible.

I've always tried to be reasonable with different types of music throughout my life and even if it's not to my taste then i could see the skill and craft that's gone into making it, and just because i don't like it doesn't make it terrible music.

But that speedcore is offensive i can see no talent or craft in it at all.

Back