Terrible terrible music

'There's No One Quite Like Grandma' by The St Winifreds School Choir

Proving that there was also nothing quite like listening The St Winifreds School Choir for making you want to hurt yourself with the kitchen knives.

Actually, 'Leave Right Now' by Will Young really does darken my mood tremendously. I wish he would stop whingeing about it (which is exactly what the song is... one long whinge, performed by a man with his love-spuds seemingly caught in the fridge door) and just get on with it. Preferably via an open window at the top of the tallest building he can find. Grrrr

BAD music:

the commercial crap I heard played in Ibiza this summer (about 99% of what I heard)
anything played on the Essential Selection these days - Pete Tong used to play wicked house music in the 90s... where did it all go SO wrong??? :eek:
anything in the top 40 (since 2000)
anything on radio 1 (not played by Rob da Bank or Peterson)
anything on commercial/local radio
all modern rnb/"soul"/rap (to think how fresh/political/raw hiphop used to be in the 80s :cry: )
most meat'n'veg indie + all skinny white boy clone bands with nothing to say and zero sense of originality
funky house/dirty house/sexy "electro" (It's not Electro FFS!! roxanne shante made real ELECTRO! :rolleyes: )
anything heard on ITV on a saturday night
anything heard at V, Reading or SW4
any music sold at woolworths or smiths
garridge (there's still enuff rudebwoys who swear by this nonsense)
metal (the joke was over by 1976)
boring buskers (ALWAYS, ALWAYS 'no woman no cry' on the tube...:rolleyes: )
tiesto

Do you not like anything? :eek::lol:

ok 95% of all R&B is awfull. completely awful

Marvin Gaye is quality. As is Curtis Mayfield and most of the proper Motown stuff.

Forgot Otis Redding , how could I

tons & tons of Motown & Atlantic soul in our house mate, the missus loves it, and so do I.

On the st winifreds school choir tip.....that fecking song was no1 the day my gran died, it was all over the telly, all over the radio, you could get away from it.....as if things wernen't bad enough!!! :spank::evil:

Right now I could shoot any of the following felines:

That effin idiot Katy Parry - I Kissed a Girl (keep it to yourself next time dear),
Pink - (I split up with my husband wrote a song about it) So What,
Beyonce - If I was a boy (I'd be gay?)

and so forth...

BAD music:

the commercial crap I heard played in Ibiza this summer (about 99% of what I heard)
anything played on the Essential Selection these days - Pete Tong used to play wicked house music in the 90s... where did it all go SO wrong??? :eek:
anything in the top 40 (since 2000)
anything on radio 1 (not played by Rob da Bank or Peterson)
anything on commercial/local radio
all modern rnb/"soul"/rap (to think how fresh/political/raw hiphop used to be in the 80s :cry: )
most meat'n'veg indie + all skinny white boy clone bands with nothing to say and zero sense of originality
funky house/dirty house/sexy "electro" (It's not Electro FFS!! roxanne shante made real ELECTRO! :rolleyes: )
anything heard on ITV on a saturday night
anything heard at V, Reading or SW4
any music sold at woolworths or smiths
garridge (there's still enuff rudebwoys who swear by this nonsense)
metal (the joke was over by 1976)
boring buskers (ALWAYS, ALWAYS 'no woman no cry' on the tube...:rolleyes: )
tiesto

Personally loving the angry outburst here! :lol:

...and having read it twice I have to say I concur. :)))

However, please amend the top 40 bit so it reads - from 1990. Remember the year when it was all Technotronic, KLF, Prince, Bassomatic, Bobby Brown etc and Tom's Diner was number one? Struggling to remember a good top 40 selection in 2000.

Gym Music. dunno what it is, but sounds the same in every gym and reminds me of being in a really bad essex night club.

slagging off the year 2000 for it's lack of musical quality is a bit short sighted, 4 off the top of my head from that year:

Coldplay - Parachutes
Ian Brown - Golden Greats
Richard Ashcroft - Alone With Everybody
Moby - Play
Leftfield - Rythm & Stealth

slagging off the year 2000 for it's lack of musical quality is a bit short sighted, 4 off the top of my head from that year:

Coldplay - Parachutes
Ian Brown - Golden Greats
Richard Ashcroft - Alone With Everybody
Moby - Play
Leftfield - Rythm & Stealth

Not feeling Coldplay at all...quite like Ian Brown...Richard Ashcroft doesn't quite hit the spot...always thought Moby's Play was quite mediocre and Leftfield's Rhythm and Stealth wasn't a patch on their first offering.

Agree the above are among the more interesting things to come out of that year but remember the context: We're talking about the top 40. ;)

I never said that 2000 was a crap year for music...I'm just saying that chart music lost any credibility it had in the 90s.

I can't imagine for a second you tuned into radio 1 every week to wade through boyzone and S Club 7 in order to hear the odd Coldplay track?

that's a very big IF mate... the chances of any detroit techno, german house or balearic gems penetrating the chart are pretty remote, and that is unlikely to change...

I'm not some sheep - I love music and don't care who else likes it

very occasionally, a peach of a record does very well commercially eg gnarls berkley or outkast - but how often does that happen?

Bet you're a very, VERY boring man if the only music you listen to is Detroit Techno, German House or 'Belearic Gems'.

My music tastes are pretty far and wide and I agree with those who think it's silly to completely rule out a whole genre, on the whole I don't like the current "bands", your Scouting for Girls, Kasabian, Fratellis etc etc etc but then I love Oasis, Pulp and some other bands. My cd collection is as far and wide as it could get really, from Trance/House/Minimals etc etc to pop/chart, RnB/Hip Hop/Rap, Rock such as Nirvana, Chili Peppers, Aerosmith, Classical, classic artists like Lionel Ritchie, Frankie Valli and also movie sound tracks, so all sorts....the only genres I can say I do not really listen to are Country (although I love it when driving through back country America, gets you in the spirit of the country!), Reggae, not too keen on Garage or Jazz, but there are always songs in all these that I quite like...... But to answer the actual question that started this thread....any songs by Lighthouse Family, Ocean Colour Scene or The Beautiful South, I can't pick just one specific track! :spank:

PS WTF is Detroit Techno and can anyone except Olly tell the difference bewteen that and California Techno, New York Techno, South End Techno......:lol:

HAPPY HARDCORE!!!!
TIZER, SCOOTER, BINMAN etc... yuk!!! I have to agree with those who don't like metal. Its just noise.

BUT, how can anyone not like Marvin Gaye? The guys a legend!

J

Last edited by a moderator:
Detroit Techno and can anyone except Olly tell the difference bewteen that and California Techno, New York Techno, South End Techno......:lol:

Nowadays, probably not...but throughout the 90s it's fair to say that Detroit Techno did have a very distinctive sound.

Not feeling Coldplay at all...quite like Ian Brown...Richard Ashcroft doesn't quite hit the spot...always thought Moby's Play was quite mediocre and Leftfield's Rhythm and Stealth wasn't a patch on their first offering.

Agree the above are among the more interesting things to come out of that year but remember the context: We're talking about the top 40. ;)

I never said that 2000 was a crap year for music...I'm just saying that chart music lost any credibility it had in the 90s.

I can't imagine for a second you tuned into radio 1 every week to wade through boyzone and S Club 7 in order to hear the odd Coldplay track?

au contrare

at the time Im sure Mark & Lard were on at the time and it was through them I got to hear of Coldplay, Doves etc. And when did the charts have any credibility to lose?;)

Back