Spotlight Running Club

top man!

any tips on carb loading/proper glycogen storing in the build up of a race? given the amount of lactic build up in my legs on that last run, its one thing i need to look into more.

i will not let that last 3 miles beat me!

Load up on pasta, bananas, and grapefruit. The potassium will help with the lactic acid. The pasta is good for carb. loading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Load up on pasta, bananas, and grapefruit. The potassium will help with the lactic acid. The pasta is good for carb. loading.

but when do you start and using what method...

interesting new 'short workout' technique - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbohydrate_loading

"A new carbo-loading regimen developed by scientists at the University of Western Australia calls for a normal diet with light training until the day before the race. On the day before the race, the athlete performs a very short, extremely high-intensity workout (such as a few minutes of sprinting) then consumes 12 g of carbohydrate per kilogram of lean mass over the next 24 hours. The regimen reportedly resulted in a 90% increase in glycogen storage"

might give that one a go for the next race (albeit a 10k, where carb loading isnt as essential).

I would eat bananas and grapefruit everyday. About 48 hours out do the pasta loading. I would add one beer per day when I ran alot seemed to help or it tasted good. The potassium helps with lactic acid and speed recovery after training. The day of a race I would eat bananas, grapefruit, nuts, and a bagel. You get protein and natural sugar to slow burn during your race.

any tips on carb loading/proper glycogen storing in the build up of a race? given the amount of lactic build up in my legs on that last run, its one thing i need to look into more.

This is one bit where I am slightly stuck. I plan to just hit the carbs heavily as of this coming Sunday until the following Saturday and hopefully I'll be good to go on the Sunday.

This is the area which I have found the hardest whilst training, cutting out bad food and drink and only eating what will be beneficial for training.

For my next run I'm really going to knuckle down and knock the beer on the head for a good month or two before race day.

The one thing that I have found really good are Cashew nuts, seem to give me a good little energy boost during the day.

Whilst actually running itself I've been using Clif Shot Bloks, not sure if you have tried them but they are like little cubes of jelly. Well worth picking some up, replace salts/sugars etc lost through sweating as well as providing an energy boost. When doing my long runs (15 - 20 miles) these have carried me towards the end.

This is one bit where I am slightly stuck. I plan to just hit the carbs heavily as of this coming Sunday until the following Saturday and hopefully I'll be good to go on the Sunday.

This is the area which I have found the hardest whilst training, cutting out bad food and drink and only eating what will be beneficial for training.

For my next run I'm really going to knuckle down and knock the beer on the head for a good month or two before race day.

The one thing that I have found really good are Cashew nuts, seem to give me a good little energy boost during the day.

Whilst actually running itself I've been using Clif Shot Bloks, not sure if you have tried them but they are like little cubes of jelly. Well worth picking some up, replace salts/sugars etc lost through sweating as well as providing an energy boost. When doing my long runs (15 - 20 miles) these have carried me towards the end.

See my last post. I always drank loads of water the night before a race. I would drink about a gallon of water about 3 liters give or take.

on another note, this time about "Maximum Heart Rates"...

using the 220 minus age formula, mine should be 184... ever since ive started recording runs with my Garmin, ive been averaging around the high 170's and during the half peaked at 200bpm...

anyone got any answers! :lol:

using the 220 minus age formula, mine should be 184... ever since ive started recording runs with my Garmin, ive been averaging around the high 170's and during the half peaked at 200bpm...

Your in the 30-35 age group your heart rate is right on target according to American medical association. Your heart rate will vary with your level of fitness. Check your resting heart and if you think you are having ill effects consult your doctor.

I'm also doing the Royal Parks Half this year. Aiming for under 2hrs (presuming there's no hills?!)

I did it last year....

Nice n easy till 3.5 miles... then steady beast of one from 3.5 miles to 7 miles... (from when you turn off Embankment, up whitehall, the Mall, Constitution Hill, from the SE entrance to Hyde Park, all the way to the Northern road, before you have a 2 mile downhill respite, until it goes uphill again to Mile 10.

Downhill for the last 3 miles tho. :lol:

Do a reccy of the course on a Boris bike.

I did it last year....

Nice n easy till 3.5 miles... then steady beast of one from 3.5 miles to 7 miles... (from when you turn off Embankment, up whitehall, the Mall, Constitution Hill, from the SE entrance to Hyde Park, all the way to the Northern road, before you have a 2 mile downhill respite, until it goes uphill again to Mile 10.

Downhill for the last 3 miles tho. :lol:

Do a reccy of the course on a Boris bike.

Hmmm... sounds like a good run. Don't mind a steady incline but I done the Nottingham Half Marathon in 2009 and the hills were an absolute killer. Like running up Primrose Hill 10 times during the race.

I've got my own bike 8) so will check it out beforehand, thanks.

I'm also doing the Royal Parks Half this year. Aiming for under 2hrs (presuming there's no hills?!)

Did you get a place through the normal ballot and pay after or you running for a charity?

I just took a chance and went through the ballot but i get the impression i was quiet lucky, it seems a lot of people missed out.

Should be a good one.

Hmmm... sounds like a good run. Don't mind a steady incline but I done the Nottingham Half Marathon in 2009 and the hills were an absolute killer. Like running up Primrose Hill 10 times during the race.

I've got my own bike 8) so will check it out beforehand, thanks.

oh, and I defo recommend running the New York City Half! 8)

oh, and I defo recommend running the New York City Half! 8)

I might give that a whirl.

Did you apply directly and sort it all yourself or head over via one of the activity holiday companies that arrange marathon running holidays etc?

Did you run on behalf of a charity?

I might give that a whirl.

Did you apply directly and sort it all yourself or head over via one of the activity holiday companies that arrange marathon running holidays etc?

Did you run on behalf of a charity?

nope, just entered the Ballot last Nov (along with the Full), and I got lucky!

I know the Full costs a min of £800 for flights with 3 nights accomodation PLUS £399 to enter the race... it aint cheap... but you get stuff chucked in like a place in the 'friendship run' on the day before. Charity places for the Full, from what i could find, are around £1000-1500 min sponsorship to get back between £750-£1000 towards your travel costs.

I'm sure some of the UK charities may have places for the half, but i dont remember seeing any of the usual charity colours, apart from the american ones.

Im gonna enter again next year, just to beat my time! :lol:

That formula works for most of the population, however, there are exceptions, like me for example. In the 90s I used a heart rate monitor regularly and in a sprint finish of races I used to hit 203bpm which, according to the formula, was the heart rate of a 17 year old. But, I was in my forties!!! Wow! Scary!

Bournemouth Bay 10k done yesterday in 54 minutes 54 seconds, fairly happy with that.

Brighton Marathon next weekend now, just keeping my fingers crossed that my knees hold out.

Bournemouth Bay 10k done yesterday in 54 minutes 54 seconds, fairly happy with that.

Brighton Marathon next weekend now, just keeping my fingers crossed that my knees hold out.

nice one!

went for for first run post half and lasted all of half a mile, before the left knee started playing up. faced with another week of glute/quad exercises before another attempt this weekend!

good luck for Brighton for all who are running it! 8)

Did you notice any difference with the banana intake? Good job on the run.

Back