Spotlight Running Club

My big challenge this year is the Para 10 in September.

Ten miles cross country in boots with a 35lb pack on your back.

Para qualifying time is 1hr 50 mins.

The thought of passing the para fitness test at 37 years of age is so ridiculous that I've become quite obsessed with achieving it :lol:

I've got three other runs lined up this year too. Jog on!

I used to run cross country quite a bit, and that's where my interest is.

I've run a few half marathons, but my interest is more in the 5km to 10 km range where I have goals of certain times to beat. For me, it is much harder to run a fast 5 k than a half marathon.. I have to concentrate more and I find a good 5k requires more intensive training. I've been quite slack over the past 8 months, and January in Canada is a terrible time to go out running in the mornings, but it's the only way if i want to race by the summer....

If you did a sub four minute mile, I reckon Stephen might be persuaded to hand out five stars, are you up for it?!!!

Many years ago when at my peak, usually during a boys drinking spree I used to boast of getting in training to do a sub four minute mile:lol::lol::lol: In my next life, I will deffo be doing a sub four minute mile.

Good luck to all of you running races this year :D

Running shags your joints big time in the long term.

Definitely bad for those that are overweight.

Better off doing steep fast walking on the treadmill mixed with cross trainer and/or swimming.

I did the London Marathon last year. Always enjoyed the odd 10K and used to do about 3 a week then thought i'd go for the marathon attempt. Got my place through charity in the middle of Jan so only really had 3 months of proper training and that was difficult being a 23 y/o with an active social life.
Managed to get round in 4:13:26.
Carried on running until July but after Ibiza i just gave up.
Doing the Brighton Marathon this year and just got back into my running.
Hoping to beat 4hrs.

At the risk of sounding boring, this is my story;

Took up running to help me stop smoking in 1992. I had smoked 20 a day for around 23 years. Although I was a cyclist whilst smoking and often went on long Sunday jaunts like the Lake District and back in a day (140miles). It meant I was already reasonably fit.

I did run 2 Great North Runs while still smoking and managed 1hour 50 minutes each time. After I stopped smoking and took up running seriously my times plummeted. Best time was 1994 in 1:27:41 and a position of 1404 and the next 4 years I managed to be in the first 1500 out of 35,000!!! I still currently hold my running club record of running 54 races in a 12 month period.

Year 2000 more or less killed it off when I bust my lower back lifting a heavy amplifier for a mobile disco. I couldn't walk for over a month, still get a warm glow thinking of the Tamazapan I was on :lol: It took a couple of years build up to get back into running. I don't race anymore but keep up the running (read jogging) as a recreation/fitness thing. Unfortunately, I'm 3 stone heavier and a lot older than when I was racing, but, hey, I'm still doing it and I'm 60 this summer!!!

I have to say I've been very lucky and don't suffer from knee or other injury problems. One of my long time running partners retired for that reason last summer. I still run with his younger brother who is 20 years my junior. He often says he hopes he will still be running when he gets to my age, my reply, hope I'm still running with him. :D

8)
at the risk of sounding boring, this is my story;

took up running to help me stop smoking in 1992. I had smoked 20 a day for around 23 years. Although i was a cyclist whilst smoking and often went on long sunday jaunts like the lake district and back in a day (140miles). It meant i was already reasonably fit.

I did run 2 great north runs while still smoking and managed 1hour 50 minutes each time. After i stopped smoking and took up running seriously my times plummeted. Best time was 1994 in 1:27:41 and a position of 1404 and the next 4 years i managed to be in the first 1500 out of 35,000!!! I still currently hold my running club record of running 54 races in a 12 month period.

Year 2000 more or less killed it off when i bust my lower back lifting a heavy amplifier for a mobile disco. I couldn't walk for over a month, still get a warm glow thinking of the tamazapan i was on :lol: It took a couple of years build up to get back into running. I don't race anymore but keep up the running (read jogging) as a recreation/fitness thing. Unfortunately, i'm 3 stone heavier and a lot older than when i was racing, but, hey, i'm still doing it and i'm 60 this summer!!!

I have to say i've been very lucky and don't suffer from knee or other injury problems. One of my long time running partners retired for that reason last summer. I still run with his younger brother who is 20 years my junior. He often says he hopes he will still be running when he gets to my age, my reply, hope i'm still running with him. :d

8)8)

I did run 2 Great North Runs while still smoking and managed 1hour 50 minutes each time. After I stopped smoking and took up running seriously my times plummeted. Best time was 1994 in 1:27:41 and a position of 1404 and the next 4 years I managed to be in the first 1500 out of 35,000!!! I still currently hold my running club record of running 54 races in a 12 month period.

Guilty :oops:.- i'm finding it hard to stop, yet I like the thought of smacking 25% off my PB.

This years efforts will be interesting. now i can keep a record of all my stats via the Garmin, and be in control when i run, rather than going off on every training run like a headless chicken.

Yeh, the Garmin should help. I was well into the technology back in the 90s and was the first in my running club to use HRM for interval training, hill training, fast runs, recovery runs, etc.

Stopping smoking is different for each person. I went 'cold turkey' and have never ever had any cravings since. I put all my concentration into running and have never looked back. All my friends are smokers, yet, it doesn't bother me. Definitely won't let anyone smoke in my car though.

Yeh, the Garmin should help. I was well into the technology back in the 90s and was the first in my running club to use HRM for interval training, hill training, fast runs, recovery runs, etc.

Stopping smoking is different for each person. I went 'cold turkey' and have never ever had any cravings since. I put all my concentration into running and have never looked back. All my friends are smokers, yet, it doesn't bother me. Definitely won't let anyone smoke in my car though.

Which is your running club?

I ask only because as a young pup, I used to idolise Brendan Foster to the extent I wrote to Jim 'l Fix it every week asking to run a lap of Gateshead track with BF!

Yours is a great story, long may you continue running for fun :)

Just got accepted into the Great North run in September. I hope the weather is good :confused:

Watch out for that last point.something of a mile along the sea front. I swear to god that bit was harder than the rest of it put together! There were bodies strewn left, right & centre when I did it - people who had just run out of steam keeled over at the side of the road...:eek:

I did this circuits class last night for the first time. An hour of physical exertion involving steps, running, weights and shouted at by some sergeant major of an instructor - all to a horrible soundtrack of 2step garage which only compounded the torture. I think it's more effective than doing things at your own pace but jeez the last 10mins were the longest ever!

I did this circuits class last night for the first time. An hour of physical exertion involving steps, running, weights and shouted at by some sergeant major of an instructor - all to a horrible soundtrack of 2step garage which only compounded the torture. I think it's more effective than doing things at your own pace but jeez the last 10mins were the longest ever!

QUIT BITCHIN' AND DROP AND GIVE ME 10

:lol:

Back