Spotlight Running Club

My running been really painstaking recently.

I've been getting sick of running in bloody tights and gloves because of the cold and the bitter cross winds up here that freezes you to the core.

Plus, I started getting really crippling bad stomach acid after about 5 miles for some reason.:twisted:

But last night i put the girls to bed and thought "**** it" and went out and did ten miles in shorts across the cliff tops and down country lanes just as the sky was getting dark and really enjoyed it. Was listening to some nameless trance mixes i picked up in Goa and had quite a weird "elated" experience pounding through the dark. :lol: Love that feeling of pushing it when you're at the limit.

Think the year is starting to turn and have managed to get through running in the snow and ice injury free, so looking forward to the various races/events starting in the next few months. 8)

Sounds perfect too. Good luck!

2:23:29 - started at back to avoid getting carried away, and managed 10miles before the pain in the right knee returned. last 3miles was a killer.

overall very happy with time considering ive had bugger all training, and as an event, the best ive run in yet! it chucked down the day after, and snow is forecast for this week in NY!

3 more sessions of physio and hopefully this IT band problem will be sorted. had a session earlier, where he was chopping on the back of my calves... "ouch x 100"

defo recommend this Half Marathon to anyone. next up BUPA 10K again, at the end of May... gonna go all out for a sub 50min time.

2:23:29 - started at back to avoid getting carried away, and managed 10miles before the pain in the right knee returned. last 3miles was a killer.

overall very happy with time considering ive had bugger all training, and as an event, the best ive run in yet! it chucked down the day after, and snow is forecast for this week in NY!

3 more sessions of physio and hopefully this IT band problem will be sorted. had a session earlier, where he was chopping on the back of my calves... "ouch x 100"

defo recommend this Half Marathon to anyone. next up BUPA 10K again, at the end of May... gonna go all out for a sub 50min time.

Congrats mate for getting round.

Question about your knee, do you strap it up or you just running without any support??

The reason I ask is I'm running a marathon in April and I get the same problems with my knees but have found that If I strap it up it seems to keep the pain at bay, at least to the point of letting me drag myself round.

Have you also been using one of those foam rolling gizmo's? Best £20 i've ever spent when it comes to pain relief for the legs. Simple but works a treat.

Top work Chewie!! 8)

Congrats mate for getting round.

Question about your knee, do you strap it up or you just running without any support??

The reason I ask is I'm running a marathon in April and I get the same problems with my knees but have found that If I strap it up it seems to keep the pain at bay, at least to the point of letting me drag myself round.

Hello :lol:

I ran a half marathon last year and every time I got up to the 10+ mile mark in training, my left knee didn't feel great and like it could just 'go'. I'm doing Brighton marathon in April and have got a Kneed It http://www.kneedit.co.uk/ and swear by it and wear it for all my long runs, have got up to 24 miles in training and didn't even feel any twinges.

Which marathon are you doing in April - Brighton or London?

Hello :lol:

I ran a half marathon last year and every time I got up to the 10+ mile mark in training, my left knee didn't feel great and like it could just 'go'. I'm doing Brighton marathon in April and have got a Kneed It http://www.kneedit.co.uk/ and swear by it and wear it for all my long runs, have got up to 24 miles in training and didn't even feel any twinges.

Which marathon are you doing in April - Brighton or London?

Hi Barbie

Thanks for that, I'll have a read through at lunch.

I'm the same as you really, I can do 8 - 10 miles and then bang, the left legs goes and at times it honestly feels like I can't move, the pain it terrible.

I've seen a physio who has been wicked, given me some sound stretches etc but he can't say enough about foam rolling, even to the point of saying that doing that is actually better, and a lot cheaper, than going to see him.

Snap, I'm also running Brighton, can't wait. Looks like it will be a good event, 15,000 runners and 100,000 + spectators, should be a great day.

How's your training been going?

I've been going between 15 - 20miles at a weekend but tappering down now.

Cheers again for the info.

Andy

Hi Barbie

Thanks for that, I'll have a read through at lunch.

I'm the same as you really, I can do 8 - 10 miles and then bang, the left legs goes and at times it honestly feels like I can't move, the pain it terrible.

I've seen a physio who has been wicked, given me some sound stretches etc but he can't say enough about foam rolling, even to the point of saying that doing that is actually better, and a lot cheaper, than going to see him.

Snap, I'm also running Brighton, can't wait. Looks like it will be a good event, 15,000 runners and 100,000 + spectators, should be a great day.

How's your training been going?

I've been going between 15 - 20miles at a weekend but tappering down now.

Cheers again for the info.

Andy

Incidentally if you do buy one, they are waaay cheaper on ebay ;)

That's what I was like and I really thought I was never going to be a runner and would always suffer with bad knees, but now I wear this for any long run and it doesn't even twinge so a lot of it is just for precautionary measures but I daren't not wear it now.

Training has been going pretty well - I have done 5 20+ mile runs in training, I'd like to say the more 20+ runs I did it got easier but each time I got beyond about 18 or so miles it was a killer - I run along the Thames and a couple of times the weather was horrendous and I was soaked and running through muddy puddles and I really felt like I was going to cry :oops:

And yes I'm tapering down as well now - the joy of 'only' having to do a 13 mile run this Saturday :lol:

Really looking forward to Brighton - nervous but also really excited, I know some people who did it last year and said it's a great course and fantastic organisation. Are you aiming for a time? I'm quite steady :oops::lol: but aiming for 4 hours 30 mins.

Incidentally if you do buy one, they are waaay cheaper on ebay ;)

That's what I was like and I really thought I was never going to be a runner and would always suffer with bad knees, but now I wear this for any long run and it doesn't even twinge so a lot of it is just for precautionary measures but I daren't not wear it now.

Training has been going pretty well - I have done 5 20+ mile runs in training, I'd like to say the more 20+ runs I did it got easier but each time I got beyond about 18 or so miles it was a killer - I run along the Thames and a couple of times the weather was horrendous and I was soaked and running through muddy puddles and I really felt like I was going to cry :oops:

And yes I'm tapering down as well now - the joy of 'only' having to do a 13 mile run this Saturday :lol:

Really looking forward to Brighton - nervous but also really excited, I know some people who did it last year and said it's a great course and fantastic organisation. Are you aiming for a time? I'm quite steady :oops::lol: but aiming for 4 hours 30 mins.

I haven't overly thought about things time wise just to not add any pressure but now the day is fast approaching I was also thinking 4 hours 30 mins and I would be happy.

I done 20 miles on Sat in 3 hours 19 mins so on that basis I should be ok.

I've based my training on 10 mins per mile, just been taking it steady really what with this being my first marathon.

I've really caught the bug though. Always headed down the gym etc but I've found nothing compares to the training and the buzz you get from running outside.

You planning to do any others after this?

I've gone for the Royal Parks Half Marathon in Oct, couldn't face the training for another full 26 miles just yet.

I haven't overly thought about things time wise just to not add any pressure but now the day is fast approaching I was also thinking 4 hours 30 mins and I would be happy.

I done 20 miles on Sat in 3 hours 19 mins so on that basis I should be ok.

I've based my training on 10 mins per mile, just been taking it steady really what with this being my first marathon.

I've really caught the bug though. Always headed down the gym etc but I've found nothing compares to the training and the buzz you get from running outside.

You planning to do any others after this?

I've gone for the Royal Parks Half Marathon in Oct, couldn't face the training for another full 26 miles just yet.

Yeah that's what I am thinking - if I can average 10 minute miles and do it in 4 hours 30 I will be so chuffed as I am completely new to this running malarky - 18 months ago I was a 20+ a day Fag Ash Lil so just the fact that I can even run is an achievement in itself :lol:

Obviously I might be saying differently come about 2pm on April 10th but at the moment I am definitely planning to keep the running up - I haven't entered anything else at the moment but would like to do another half later in the year and do it under 2 hours, I was just over 2 hours last year, and then I reckon I'll enter Brighton again next year - we are moving down there to live in a few weeks so it will be just too easy to walk from home to the starting line.

Yeah that's what I am thinking - if I can average 10 minute miles and do it in 4 hours 30 I will be so chuffed as I am completely new to this running malarky - 18 months ago I was a 20+ a day Fag Ash Lil so just the fact that I can even run is an achievement in itself :lol:

Obviously I might be saying differently come about 2pm on April 10th but at the moment I am definitely planning to keep the running up - I haven't entered anything else at the moment but would like to do another half later in the year and do it under 2 hours, I was just over 2 hours last year, and then I reckon I'll enter Brighton again next year - we are moving down there to live in a few weeks so it will be just too easy to walk from home to the starting line.

Well good luck.

Let us know how you get on.

Fingers crossed we'll get a nice day for it.

cheers MarkyB!

I've gone for the Royal Parks Half Marathon in Oct

I did this last year (was my first) - low down on the course, the loop along the embankment is a doddle, however come mile 4 till 7, its a steady incline, up constitution hill and back into the park... 7-8miles downhill, 8-10m back up hill to top of the park. 10- the finish is a nice gentle downhill slog!

if the baggage arrangements are the same as last year, get there early, its a queue in line, and hand yr bag for a wristband free for all.

As for my knee pain, its the darn IT Band syndrome + weak glutes and quads. im defo back on the foam roller, now been told to roll using weight of both legs (couldnt have done that 6 weeks ago!)

im not strapping up just yet, gonna see how i go strengthening the above, if that doesnt work, a brace could well be ordered, just to keep the darn thing bending straight!

good luck for Brighton!

fingers crossed the next 3 physio sessions will see me ready to tackle the NYC Full in Nov (providing i get through the lottery).

Cheers mate, I'll post on here my finishing time once I've recovered.

Can't wait for a beer on Brighton beach one I'm done.

Cheers also for the info on the Royal Parks half, I'll bear that in mind when it all come's to the training.

Thought this might help, a book a physio advised I looked at. I've snapped it up and it has helped, give's you a bit of back ground info on the knee, what does what, what can help against ITBS etc. Also exercises to strenghten each element that you can do at home and the gym. Only costs a fiver odd so you may find it helpful.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Treat-Your-...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301395370&sr=1-1

Andy

Cheers mate, I'll post on here my finishing time once I've recovered.

Can't wait for a beer on Brighton beach one I'm done.

Cheers also for the info on the Royal Parks half, I'll bear that in mind when it all come's to the training.

Thought this might help, a book a physio advised I looked at. I've snapped it up and it has helped, give's you a bit of back ground info on the knee, what does what, what can help against ITBS etc. Also exercises to strenghten each element that you can do at home and the gym. Only costs a fiver odd so you may find it helpful.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Treat-Your-...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301395370&sr=1-1

Andy

top man!

any tips on carb loading/proper glycogen storing in the build up of a race? given the amount of lactic build up in my legs on that last run, its one thing i need to look into more.

i will not let that last 3 miles beat me!

Back