Spotlight Running Club

Did you notice any difference with the banana intake? Good job on the run.

Cheers all.

I just can't handle banana's, I've never liked furry food.

I've been using Clif Shot bloks and bars. They seem fairly easy to stomach.

The nerves have proper kicked in now building up to Sunday, trying to channel that in the correct way.

Last Sunday I done exactly what I told myself not to do. I found myself chasing people down the road who were obviously more experienced than me but as they were older I convinced myself I could take them. Bad move. What with the weather, If I do that come Sunday I'll be in trouble.

used this to work out the distance ive been running for the first time today

http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-distance-calculator.htm

3.5miles took me about half an hour so i think im a pretty slow runner!

I'd say that is fairly good mate if you have just started out.

I wouldn't overly work about times, as long as you enjoy it and keep it up the time will soon start to pick up without you even realising.

I'm working on doing this coming Sundays marathon on 10 minutes a mile so it will take about 4 hours 30 mins.

Cheers all.

I just can't handle banana's, I've never liked furry food.

I've been using Clif Shot bloks and bars. They seem fairly easy to stomach.

The nerves have proper kicked in now building up to Sunday, trying to channel that in the correct way.

Last Sunday I done exactly what I told myself not to do. I found myself chasing people down the road who were obviously more experienced than me but as they were older I convinced myself I could take them. Bad move. What with the weather, If I do that come Sunday I'll be in trouble.

Try grapefruit they do the trick also

Bournemouth Bay 10k done yesterday in 54 minutes 54 seconds, fairly happy with that.

Brighton Marathon next weekend now, just keeping my fingers crossed that my knees hold out.

Good luck Andy :D Looks like it's going to be scorchio - nice for post race beers, not so good for running in :twisted:

What is your race number, I am 2061 - maybe see you at the starting line 8)

Good luck Andy :D Looks like it's going to be scorchio - nice for post race beers, not so good for running in :twisted:

Hi Barbie, good luck to you as well.

I can't wait now although I am nervous. The heat is going to be tricky, water at every possible station I reckon.

I meant to make a note of my number before coming in to work this morning to send you the same message. I imagine I'll be around the same bracket as I went with a estimated finish time of 4 hours 30 mins.

I'm wearing a black top with pink vest (running for Breakthrough Breast Cancer), I'll have both my kness strapped up over compression tights and I wear red Addidas trainers, if you see me say hi.

I'll keep an eye out for your number.

All the best for it.

Andy

Hi Barbie, good luck to you as well.

I can't wait now although I am nervous. The heat is going to be tricky, water at every possible station I reckon.

I meant to make a note of my number before coming in to work this morning to send you the same message. I imagine I'll be around the same bracket as I went with a estimated finish time of 4 hours 30 mins.

I'm wearing a black top with pink vest (running for Breakthrough Breast Cancer), I'll have both my kness strapped up over compression tights and I wear red Addidas trainers, if you see me say hi.

I'll keep an eye out for your number.

All the best for it.

Andy

I know I'm exactly the same - super excited but also nervous, and not looking forward to the heat, I much prefer running in winter to summer.

I shall look out for you - pink vest and Red trainers should be quite easy to spot, I am in pink vest and shorts.

Are you staying in Brighton the night before?

I know I'm exactly the same - super excited but also nervous, and not looking forward to the heat, I much prefer running in winter to summer.

I shall look out for you - pink vest and Red trainers should be quite easy to spot, I am in pink vest and shorts.

Are you staying in Brighton the night before?

Yeah travelling down tomorrow at some point.

Will probably head to the Expo if I'm down in time to take a look about.

How about yourself?

Yeah travelling down tomorrow at some point.

Will probably head to the Expo if I'm down in time to take a look about.

How about yourself?

Yeah but not until Saturday evening, just staying at the Travelodge (seafront one), just so I know that I can wake up on Sunday morning and I'm there.

Yeah but not until Saturday evening, just staying at the Travelodge (seafront one), just so I know that I can wake up on Sunday morning and I'm there.

I'm on the Best Western on the front.

Looking at a 6am wake up really in order to eat, digest, get ready etc.

Thought I'd head along to the Expo and see what's going on. I imagine Brighton will be fairly buzzing on Sat.

Good luck again and I'll keep an eye out for you.

Give me a boot up the arse if you see me struggling at any stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm on the Best Western on the front.

Looking at a 6am wake up really in order to eat, digest, get ready etc.

Thought I'd head along to the Expo and see what's going on. I imagine Brighton will be fairly buzzing on Sat.

Good luck again and I'll keep an eye out for you.

Give me a book up the arse if you see me struggling at any stage.

Most definitely - if you can reciprocate the favour! :lol:;)

Pleasure as always to see you on here:D

V. best of luck for Sunday.

Good Luck!

Asics British 10k Entered for me in July 11.

A Bargain Last min Charity place, running in aid of one of our clients.

Only paying them £50. :lol:

Brighton Marathon - with a doubt, the hardest :twisted: hottest :twisted: but most amazing thing I've ever done :D

The race is only in its second year but organisation is fantastic and the support on the streets phenomenal (it's the second highest spectated race in the UK after London with estimated 100,000 people on the street). The race kicked off at 9am with a lap around Preston Park and then onto the streets of Brighton - heading all the way east to Ovingdean and all the way west to Shoreham so you're running along the sea front for most of it. The temperature was an absolute killer - over 20 degrees and relentless sunshine from the word go, and no real shade as you're so exposed on the seafront.

I'd set myself 2 targets prior to the race - to do it in 4 hours 30 minutes and to run it all but I started to re-evaluate those - it was weird because the distance didn't feel 'that' long - ok 26.2 miles is a long way but I wasn't even thinking about the distance, just the heat which was absolutely destroying me :twisted:

The first half went really well and I felt really rehydrated and my legs felt fresh and my half marathon split time was just over 2 hours 2 minutes. From about mile 15 onward was an absolute killer just because of the heat, and I was so paranoid about dehydrating that I went a bit overboard with the Powerade and felt like I was running with a belly-full of glucose and came close to being sick a couple of times :oops:

But somehow I managed to run it all and my finishing time was 04:29:16 :D - you can tell from my half marathon split how slow my second half was :oops: but I did it :D

I can't believe that this ex fag Ash Lil/wino/waster has actually run a marathon :lol:

A huge thank you to my lovely friends who supported me on the day and all those who sponsored me and helped me raise £1,000 for Dogs Trust - thank you!

And big congrats to my fellow runner Andy JB who I met at about the 20 mile mark :D

PS Entry for next year's race opens at 9am this morning if anyone fancies it! ;)

Fantastic, so pleased you hit all your targets. The heat sounds like a real killer but ultimately couldn't stop you....

wd again:D:D

Back