San Antonio's New Direction

Status
Not open for further replies.
here's a turn up for the books

2011-07-14_IMG_2011-07-14_00:17:13_0103.jpg

san antonio signposts its major tourist attraction in not one, not two, but three languages!
i saw it yesterday..... what a stupid way to spend the citizen's money ! !

indeed. you'd think the good citizens of san antonio would know where the sun set by now!

the sant bartomeu dance beach party victim of its own success:

:arrow: http://ultimahora.es/ibiza/noticia/noticias/local/cala-gracio-muere-de-exito.html
"due to the saturation it wasnt possible to get down to the beach (...). by 2am cala gració was a chaos, which didnt stop people trying to access to the beach (...). <they shouldnt do something like this as part of the local celebrations. the beach is destroyed and is dangerous too, becuse if something happened with the collapse at the entry it wouldnt let anybody leave the place>, someone said"
as expected, moved from cala gració to s'arenal beach... it will happen on august 27th and none of the bars along the promenade will be playing anything that night so you can only hear the music of the party ! !

Rough translation by Chrome, this will be about right, but not exact.

http://www.diariodeibiza.es/opinion/...er/503331.html
The 'West End' of Sant Antoni, this pathetic tourist anachronism that shames the whole island, is certainly an exception in the Balearic Islands and, fortunately, is a small area geographical stronghold, confined and limited to a few streets. The only problem is that thanks to this little haven is outraged year after year the image of the island of Ibiza, including areas that have been careful to cultivate a quality tourism. For example, the now famous video of the song 'Pizza in Ibiza', filmed entirely in Sant Antoni, Sant Antoni does not speak, as would be logical, but in Ibiza in general. What fault of the inhabitants and entrepreneurs Portinatx, Santa Eulalia or Cala Sant Antoni Vedella that leads to tolerate for nearly thirty years a situation that never should have lasted more than two seasons? Because of these four blocks destroyed the image of an entire island. Obviously, other sites that are not of Sant Antoni, as the end of Platja d'en Bossa, also help so painful end, but the 'West' has always been and remains the undisputed leader in the field.
Okay, but What to do with the 'West End'? A British tourist in this newspaper recently said that "would have to throw a bomb" on the neighborhood to destroy it. This is a proposal excessive. What is clear is that the 'West' should disappear as we know it today and replaced by a place that is just like any other tourist area on the island. Nothing more, nothing less. 's not that hard. Now that they are so fashionable conversion plans (such as the Bay of Palma or even announced for Platja d'en Bossa or the Bay of Portmany), that is exactly the right tool to undertake the total transformation ' West '. It is surprising that politicians have seen Ibizan the need to modernize touristically Platja d'en Bossa and 'bay' (in general) or even Portmany ever happened to them to apply a conversion plan for where it germinates and grows the pseudoturismo embarrasses us for decades. Since we're talking a neighborhood of small, application of the conversion plan is cheaper, faster and feasible for large and ambitious programs of action that the previous Consell wanted to develop in those other tourist areas and that possibly they were just self-promoting publicity stunts for no real will to develop. It certainly will not be easy. That plan will require courage and economic investments. The money is not abundant, but it will be even harder to find the courage among some politicians whose position on this has always oscillated between total blindness and naivete irresponsible, they are the best guarantee that the chaos of San Antonio has a long life ahead. However, they are called upon to undertake a task that will certainly not be resolved in two or three years, not be an easy road, but the result be proud to each and every one of the locals, wherever they live. It is not impossible . Ibiza has already taken positive steps in recent years. The establishment of a common and unified schedule closing of bars and clubs that has scared off more than tourists, were quite simply scum. The increasing number of hotels of category and therefore accommodates higher-quality customers, grows steadily. They are signs of hope. But they require a step further: to take the bull of the 'West' by the horns. The challenges here are enormous, as there will have to put into line a number of entrepreneurs who are to blame for much of the situation that exists in Sant Antoni, whose tentacles have always strangled the City Government team. It will also ensure that hoteliers need to bet on a more varied clientele, not only drunk by young British and also the City Council to look indulgently stop drug trafficking on the street ('retail', according to the usual euphemism PP) and the systematic violations of the ordinances. While there is one person selling drugs in the center of Sant Antoni their rulers are not worth considering as such. This should be accompanied by investments, whether in the form of physical works (demolition, reforms) and business incentives and bonuses (subsidies, tax rebates or incentives). No doubt. The effort has to be common. 's obsession with the bosses and politicians Ibiza PP must cease to be for ever the golf courses and other trinkets that in times of crisis, only serve to attract interested in mafia networks Eivissa launder money with businesses absurd. Rather than piling more inventions rare on the island you have to do is remove those things that are rotten. Other parts of Spain and the Balearic Islands have managed to change up and down entire cities and large townships. Places that were once a showcase of architectural degradation and social marginalization have become, almost suddenly, in an enviable residential areas that are the envy general. So politicians are incapable of not knowing Ibiza transform a small neighborhood of the island?

Just got back from ibiza stayed in PDB but made a few bus trips to San An, and my god in the 12months since i last went there **** me has it changed!! the place is FULL of beer boys,stag do's, hen do's, Its the new magaluf!

Such a shame, Because i think it has a knock on the clubs since most people will go to the west end and stay there!

Maybe its just because it was september? but definatley changed since i last went, the atmosphere has changed

To be fair to the West End bars I've frequented, they are spot on when complying with sound/noise laws. Doors and windows are shut on time, owners are well aware of existing fines. Furthermore, people are fairly clued up when it comes to not carrying glass into the streets. I often see customers go to bar reps looking for plastic cups, so they can leave with their drinks.

Google translated that page, what's a 'tiquetero'? Pr Rep?

:arrow: san antonio will fine amnesia for exceeding its hours of operation
yesterday it should have closed at noon (the council had granted an extension of time for the closing party) but after that time it was still open, according to a municipal spokesman, who added that this summer they've been denounced for the same reason on many occasions. the local police denounced them again (at 5pm it hasn't closed yet), which can lead to a fine of up to 60.000€

hi guys

the situation about noise control really worries me, the police are stopping the live music in bars all over the costa blanca (where i live) and the same in marbella, porta banus etc

db limiters set at silly levels just makes the job of entertaining so hard, and ultimately has negative impact on the bar trade, as does really loud music i guess,

i hope they take a sensible approach to this.

kev:cry:

i hope they take a sensible approach to this.

kev:cry:

Depends on who's opinion it is at to what is a sensible approach.

As a local resident I would feel that it is sensible to have a quality of life without the associated problems of the dance music industry.

As a local businessman or somebody employed in the industry, I would feel its sensible to keep the thing going at all costs as economic revenue is King.

The key is finding a balance and harmony between the two.

Nobody wants a Nanny or Federal state and it is the view of some on the Island, that this is the way the wind is blowing at present.

But im sure Ibiza, as always, will find its own unique solution to the problem :)

Hi bez

what i'm talking about is poolside live music, and cabaret bars, singers and stuff who finish around midnight, i hope the powers that be dont suff them up the way they do on other costas.

i'm told this 6 tolerance zones of noise is not a new concept and has been threatened before?

cheers

kev

:arrow: san antonio will fine amnesia for exceeding its hours of operation
yesterday it should have closed at noon (the council had granted an extension of time for the closing party) but after that time it was still open, according to a municipal spokesman, who added that this summer they've been denounced for the same reason on many occasions. the local police denounced them again (at 5pm it hasn't closed yet), which can lead to a fine of up to 60.000€
theibizasun

Fine
The Amnesia Discotheque will be fined in the region of €60,000 for not respecting the designated closing time last week. The Town Hall had granted an extension until midday for the end of the season party to be held, but way after that time the discotheque remained open. The Local Police were alerted by residents in the village of San Rafael about the excessive music which was still blasting out at 5.00 o'clock in the afternoon. The residents are fed up with the behaviour of the clubbers who converge on both of the nearby discotheques, Amnesia and Privilege, and the subsequent problems when they leave, often drunk or drugged, wandering across the busy main road, creating a danger to both themselves and passing motorists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back