J-Lo going all eurodancy!

See I disagree Rob... I think she is a musician, an incredibly talented one at that. I think she's just being business savvy at the moment and playing out this "cultural icon" act as she knows it will generate headlines and record sales.
Madonna done exactly the same thing in her heydey, continuously re-inventing herself and getting headlines in the media. Although Gaga has more talent in her little finger than Madonna could ever dream of!

I predict in a few years once Gaga has reached the fame she wants, she'll tone down the "weird" side and start actually releasing music she wants to release.

I.e less "Telephone" feat Beyonce and more "Speechless" (Google it if you've not heard it ;))

There are a lot of amazing musicians in the world.

She's great at what she does but I can't bear the sound of her voice (aside from when she's at her piano doing non-stock aitken and waterman/generic electropap rubbish). I never admit that because I'm usually on the rampage. :lol:

Frankly, there aren't enough hours in the day for me to be giving the subject any more consideration than that so it's time for me to step out of this 'music' debate.

Last edited by a moderator:
(actually I forgot kate bush is making a very welcome comeback so probably a poor example)

I read yesterday that the darkness are going to reform and appear at some rock festival this summer. I like the darkness, not for the music which is laughable, but for the fact they are very, very entertaining and pop so desperately needs a shot of humour and camp in the arm right now because that music with personality (think wham, queen, fgth, early jacko, jarvis cocker, jagger) which bound a whole generation together is virtually non-existent in the mainstream now. Who knows, maybe pop is dead and what is left is just a collection of ringtones? Should anyone over the age of 17 mourn? probably not - there's shedloads of good music being made (I was knocked out by Little Dragon live the other week) - but if you're too lazy to look beyond the obvious media, then you're a fool, unless of course, you were never that arsed about music in the first place

the people pulling the strings at Gaga HQ knew that there was a gap in the kooky sexbomb market because Madge got too old, Xtina was too trashy, alison goldfrapp/bjork too leftfield and kate bush too retired - so they came up with a 'global phenomenon' which amalgamated all of the above with a liberal sprinkling of debbie harry on top et voila
(gags at finding himself defending Lady Gaga)

Seems like I read something about her actually having come up in underground/performance art circles. She apparently has musical instrumental talent as well, which you can't really say for most of the others you mention. I think she might actually be a creature of her own making, for which I'd give her credit. It's a brilliant image, if based somewhat on the road blazed by Madonna (I would put the fabulous Kate in a different category)

- there's shedloads of good music being made (I was knocked out by Little Dragon live the other week) - but if you're too lazy to look beyond the obvious media, then you're a fool, unless of course, you were never that arsed about music in the first place

I've seen Little Dragon a couple of times, both times been blown away. They are really really good live. And have a great crossover between dance/electro/rock.

Which reminds me, lemme see what festivals they're playing at this year...

Yeah did I read somewhere she's going to be remaking some of her old tracks? :eek:

correct + new stuff in the pipeline too

I love Kate Bush - it goes back to when I was a kid, there was this really gritty series on kids BBC called "Running Scared" - which featured her music in the credits and then later on I really got into her music old & new - the Aerial album was killer too. King of the Mountain = balearic as fk. She hasn't really performed live since 1980, which I suppose only adds to the mystique

I have Katys latest album - its actually quite good if you dont take it too seriously but I remember her voice being quite weak on X Factor

Ok so if i through the names.....

La Roux and Robyn into the mix, would you lot hunt me down and put me through a slow painful death :lol:

I might mumble something about having seen them at Glasto once.

Then I'd probably yawn, say "meh", scratch my bits and walk in the opposite direction in search of stimulating conversation elsewhere.

Each to their own and all that ;):lol:

Although my comment was slightly in jest, I do remember reading the song was written by an older guy (she certainly didn't write it). The song and the video are male lesbian fantasy after all!

La Roux and Robyn are okay. I have nothing against a decent disposable pop song.

The only female singer I really look forward to new stuff from is Bat For Lashes, though I do also like the Scandanavian stuff: Lykke Li, Annie, Zola Jesus, Fever Ray, etc. The Scandanavian lassies just seem to have a mystery/intensity lacking in all our female singers. Someone pushed a Nottee single into my hand for review (not literally) - she sounds okay, though there's a worrying comment under one of her YouTube vids about it sounding like Ace of Bass. I could swear I've heard her before, but not sure where. Random comp? Rob Da Bank? *scratches head*

Although my comment was slightly in jest, I do remember reading the song was written by an older guy (she certainly didn't write it). The song and the video are male lesbian fantasy after all!

La Roux and Robyn are okay. I have nothing against a decent disposable pop song.

The only female singer I really look forward to new stuff from is Bat For Lashes, though I do also like the Scandanavian stuff: Lykke Li, Annie, Zola Jesus, Fever Ray, etc. The Scandanavian lassies just seem to have a mystery/intensity lacking in all our female singers. Someone pushed a Nottee single into my hand for review (not literally) - she sounds okay, though there's a worrying comment under one of her YouTube vids about it sounding like Ace of Bass. I could swear I've heard her before, but not sure where. Random comp? Rob Da Bank? *scratches head*

Love her

Back