here we go again…2008 ibiza opening parties reviews! (continuous)

and a bit more in depth info about what tunes are getting dropped would be good, not just 'the big hitters' or 'obvious tracks' ;)

I see a short and “just-on-the-surface” review just doesn’t do it for you guys…ah well, I will try harder then…(but sometimes I just don’t have the time to write long reviews when a party or the beach is calling…so please…:oops::lol: )

We Love Opening, Sun June 15

Yesterday ( = Sunday) marked the start of another great clubbing week here in Ibiza. There are some great opening parties ahead and one very important happened last night – We Love Space Opening!

Here’s the running order to begin with…
Sunset Terrace
16:30-17:30 Oscar Cano
17:30-19:00 Andy Baxter
19:00-20:30 Jon Ulysses
20:30-22:00 Jason Bye
22:00-00:00 Tom Novy

Main Terrace
16:30-18:30 Elio Riso
18:30-20:00 Spence Parker
20:00-23:00 Smokin’ Jo
23:00-01:30 Paul Woolford
01:30-04:00 Ben Watt
04:00-close 2manydj’s

Discoteca
20:00-22:00 Oscar Colorado
22:00-00:00 David Philipps
00:00-02:00 Riton
02:00-04:00 DJ Pierre
04:00-close Felix Da Housecat

I arrived at around 10pm and directly headed to the sunset terrace to enjoy the last two hours on this floor. After only a minute, I already dropped into friends who told me the terrace didn’t really get into swing until 7pm, but when I arrived, the atmosphere on the terrace was exactly how I knew it from earlier years and how it basically just should be! Tom Novy had just taken over the decks after Jason Bye (and before him it had been Jonathan Ulysses who apparently was really really good). Novy played a solid set with some new stuff (from which I don’t know all the names yet, I’m sorry…:oops:) as well as some new remixes from Robert Miles’ “Children”, Snap’s “Rhythm is a dancer”, a new housey/electro-ey remix from an old trance track I can’t name right now. (went properly off on the terrace!) as well as Oxia’s “Domino” and he closed with a house remix of “Love is in the air”. These two hours went by flying and I really had a great time! The vibe…the people (hi Babs and Tom, hi Austrian gang, hi everyone else!)…it’s just good to have the sunset terrace sessions back!!! 8)

After the terrace had closed, I took a walk through space…the premier etage was – as usual – the place to be for a quiet-ish drink and same went for “El Salon”. The red box was really busy and the two remaining big rooms (main terrace and discoteca) were both really busy as well, but never as packed as for the openings (I didn’t expect it to be like that anyway). On the terrace, Paul Woolford was playing a very powerful set, much better than the sets from last year when I always thought he was playing really, really boring stuff. Inside (discoteca), Riton played even harder and more on the techy-acid-side. We decided to make ourselves comfy on the main terrace and oh, how lucky we were to be there. Because after wooly, Ben Watt followed. I now have to admit, I hardly knew anything about him before yesterday night and his two and a half hour set turned out to be the outstanding highlight for me last night (and more people who thought the same around us). His set was unbelievably good, he took the energy a bit down after Woolford, but added a much more emotional and, in a way, tender touch to it. We absolutely loved it. I remember hearing some vocals of Björk mixed into proggy house stuff, then a new version of Rodamaal’s “Insomnia”, he also dropped that great 2005 remix of “49%” (who made this??), generally played out a lot of brilliant stuff and closed his set with a new version of his own “missing” (produced as Everything But The Girl). Really can’t stop raving about this, it was definitely the set of the night for us :D:D:D . After him, 2manydj’s took over and for us – blown away by Ben Watt’s performance – it was time to leave then…we also wanted to save some energy for the next days. Great opening party really – We Love is Back!!!

Enough of writing now, time to move – Cocoon opening is calling – oh ****, where is my astronaut dress? Houston, we have a problem…Commander Väth and co. are invading the Disco Amnesia! :eek::twisted::lol:

As usual, I'm interested in the opening party of the Pacha Champagne Girls.

i'd never have expected to have an answer to this. i met a pacha dancer last night and she told me that from today onwards - release yourself opening - the girls will be back in the jumbo champagne glass on the rooftop terrace!

49% was Royksopp.

The Snap - Rhythm Is A Dancer remix is Tom Novy's own.

Robert Miles - Children would probably have been the Inpetto Remix, old trance tune you couldn't place , I may as well have a shot in the dark at that. i'll guess Delerium - Silence ( Niels Van gogh v's Thomas Gold Remix):?:

Edit - beaten to it.:lol:

Amnesia opening party notes

Sorry for the late notice, but a couple observations from the Amnesia opening party (recovery is hell). We showed up around 3:00am and the parking was a nightmare, as expected. Had to circle around twice because the security kept waving us through the main lot, and eventually parked under a tree off the side of the parking lot, where my wife proceeded to hit her head on a large low hanging branch!

After a long walk to the entrance we strolled right up and paid for tickets by credit card (30 euros each I think). We spent all of the "night" hours in the main room and had an absolute blast! Great music and great party crowd. Ran into some fun people. We spent a few "morning" hours on the terrace before leaving around 9 or 10am and the party was still going hard.

- the cold smoke blasts were pretty lame. It seemed like the system was down or something because there wasn't ever much coverage from the smoke. A few times it sort of sputtered out, each time the crowd swiftly noting its displeasure (all in good fun of course). Not like I remember the Cream nights where the entire room is blanked from the cold smoke blasts (or maybe it's all about where you stand???). Anyone else get this feeling?

- the terrace sound system is freaking LOUD. It seems vibrations from the heavy bass have become a bragging right for clubs on the island this year (we had similar observations about the terrace at DC10 the following Monday). After a while it started to sound like just heavy beats/noise and every song sounded the same. Maybe it's me, but can the music be turned up TOO loud? Like, to somewhere past 11? My ears were ringing for days.

- WATER COSTS 10 EUROS. AMERICAN BUDWEISER COSTS 12 EUROS. Not only are these prices annoying, but we couldn't get past half of each drink on the dancefloor without someone asking for a sip of our drinks. On the positive side, I guess it's a good discussion starter to meet people(?). The prices translated to dollars really really hurt us this year...

I hope I don't sound like an old grumpy grumperson with these comments. Don't get me wrong. Overall the experience for our 4 short nights was amazing as usual.

Thanks for listening,

- Huge Ibiza fan

.... the cold smoke blasts were pretty lame.
It seemed like the system was down ...
because there wasn't ever much coverage from the smoke.
A few times it sort of sputtered out,
each time the crowd swiftly noting its displeasure ...
that sucks ! unbelievable that after the long "off-season"
they don´t have their stuff together at the beginning of the new season !

... WATER COSTS 10 EUROS.
AMERICAN BUDWEISER COSTS 12 EUROS.
Not only are these prices annoying,
but we couldn't get past half of each drink on the dancefloor
without someone asking for a sip of our drinks.
On the positive side, I guess it's a good discussion starter to meet people ...
:lol:
24lv33r.gif

old trance tune you couldn't place , I may as well have a shot in the dark at that. i'll guess Delerium - Silence ( Niels Van gogh v's Thomas Gold Remix):?:

no this one i definitely would know ;)

when i was on the sunset terrace, i thought it might be "twisted" from svenson & gielen, but it's not...something similar though!

anyone catch spencer parker at we love?

ben watt and buzzin fly melt my face

and finally, also german's cocoon label is back in ibiza!!!!

Cocoon Opening, Mon June 16

321664734.jpg

I arrived at amnesia at around 1:30am. as usual, in the parking area, many people (drectly coming from dc10) were having pre-drinks (or maybe in-between-drinks then), already dancing around their cars, laughter and fun generally...just the well-known picture when it comes to "el rollo cocoon". all queues were very busy at the door but eventually everyone got in. when i was inside (at 2 on the dot), sven väth was already on the decks in the main floor and raresh played his last 30mins on the terrace. the main floor was already very busy and the terrace was quickly filling up. an hour later, both rooms were absolutely buzzing. sven played driving techno, while ricardo villalobos varied a bit more - but also his set was really energetic and all the fresh stuff he played sounded so goooood on the new terrace soundsystem :D:D:D

i changed quite a lot between the terrace and the main floor and enjoyed both rooms. and i especially enjoyed the fact the club wasn't rammed to the rafters! generally, almost all of the opening parties in the last week (cream, we love, wonderland etc.) were always really busy and with a great atmosphere, but luckily not overcrowded - great 8)

321664730.jpg

star wars in amnesia :lol:

cocoon opening was really really good, lots of fresh stuff (to my ears anyway) and all with a good energy and flow. (or shall i say funk? sven called it minimal funk, no? ;))

afterparty - i don't know yet. i couldn't be arsed to ask around or search for a party which maybe didn't even happen...the only rumour i've heard was that there will be something really small (say max 100peeps) in a villa and then really just the inner circle of cocoon friends...but i think by tonight i will know if there really was going on anything official or unofficial!

nice pics mate :)

any old cocoon anthems get dropped?

this is one night i would have loved to have been at along with dc10 opening. can't say the same about many others these days.

How has the increased Guardia presence been?

I heard they have been outside clubs conducting a lot of random stop/searches?

you mean 06? haha no mate. not surprisingly, none of them were up for it again!

from what i can remember of that night, your texts went:

your ****, come to cocoon.
sven's the daddy.
sven's just played gazebo.

still gutted i missed it :( i ended up at a workers party in kanya i think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back