here we go again…2008 ibiza opening parties reviews! (continuous)

you mean 06? haha no mate. not surprisingly, none of them were up for it again!

from what i can remember of that night, your texts went:

your ****, come to cocoon.
sven's the daddy.
sven's just played gazebo.

still gutted i missed it :( i ended up at a workers party in kanya i think.

:lol: shame...

reading texts back after the night before is always a cringe-athon :oops:

After going out 10 nights in a row almost (and being busy during the day as well), i began to feel I need a night off soon now…but then again, I knew my favourite trance party of the island is having its opening tonight…so I drove to amnesia for the second time within 24 hours…

Armada / Contact opening, tue June 17

When I arrived at the club at around 1:30am, markus schulz was already playing in the main room so I stayed there to enjoy his trancey beats. The room got busier soon and when armin van buuren arrived in the dj booth at 2:45am, the main room was perfectly busy, the atmosphere was great and AvB was cheered welcome from everyone present. AvB played the middle set this night and delivered a stormer of a set, including some of his recent productions (inticracy for example), lots of other trance tracks that sounded fresh to me and some classics as well. Woohoo!

I also went to the terrace, where “Contact” is happening. Remember in the last years amnesia terrace on Tuesdays always was a bit weak? This will change this year. The contact guys have done their work well, this summer you’ll see Sharam from Deep Dish playing there (3 dates), Laidback Luke (3 dates as well), then Mark Knight playing a lot of dates and more housey stuff by Seb Fontaine, Tocadisco and so on! Yesterday night the terrace wasn’t full (how could that be possible if not even cocoon opening, which normally is rammed to the rafters, wasn’t?), but as soon as more people are on the island, this will be superb! (I can’t help it, I am a big supporter of this night) Together with the fact AvB got voted No1 DJ this year, I am sure this summer will see the strongest Tuesday night at Amnesia since years!

Now time for a quiet night (uuuh but tonight is fullmoon…hmmmm). And then tomorrow all engines go for monza opening!

I´m really looking forward to Contact.
I`m going to be there the 2th September with Sharam and Laidback Luke at the Terrace!
How was the decoration inside?

Stivi
Thanks for the reviews m8 and have to agree with the others You have some stamina fella!

thanks jez, i hope you all here enjoy reading these reviews. the season's really shapening up nicely now. the island still isn't full, which is nice on one hand, but strange at the same time because even the strongest parties aren't packed yet. but i'm sure this will change a lot within the next two weeks already. and the biggest tune at the mo' is definitely the new version of "the man with the red face".

btw - last night only was half-quiet in the end...after a delicious BBQ at friends, we were at the fullmoon-party at km5 for a bit and then moved on to la troya at space for another bit. but at least i was in bed by 5am, so this is valid as a quiet one :lol:

get some kip in mate and get energised for monza.

have you got an online photo gallery of your nights out? i actually prefer looking at photo's of the nights and clubs 8)

Good work Nostrum, No way I could make it out that many nights in a row.:)

I try not to read all these reviews as I know I might not be back this year but I can't help it.:lol:

neilly - sorry, no dj sammy opening party review ;)
sy - no fotogallery either :oops: but whenever i take any pictures that are halfway ok, i post them here!
marsellus - contact on the terrace was really nicely decorated! armada in the main room was basic, but no-one cared about the decoration there!
dancemaster - coccoon after did happen, but in a veeery private and small range. about 100 peeps, mainly just the cocoon-people and close friends, in a villa...

now here's some more stuff of this week...

Monza Opening, Thu June 19

Although Monza was one of my favourite parties last year and most probably still will be this summer, this review isn’t a really long one, because I was there only for a bit. I really liked the music that was played (I think it was Vera who played and Dorian Paic, M.A.N.D.Y. played last, after Monoblock had played live) – finest underground electronic music as I called it already last season. The main floor was nicely busy and I’m sure that, as soon as the island will be fuller, monza will have their strongest season yet! The white thing (huge sheet) that cut the giant privilege hall half horizontally unfortunately wasn’t there this Thursday. I’m not sure if it just wasn’t ready for the opening or if they don’t put it up at all this year (which would be a pity). but else – Pole Position for Monza 08!

Friday was a sad day, because of the DC10-news, of course. Yes, we all knew DC10 was in court 5 different cases and everybody knew it might happen again (some of us even expected it), but still, the news hit us hard. But we have many other threads to talk about this so let’s get back to the opening parties. I didn’t make it to Manumission opening on Friday night. I’ve heard good things though about their shows and that both Xpress2 and Mylo were really good…

Zoo Project Opening, Sat June 21

Woohoo! After a bad Friday, Saturday brought the good vibes back. And a party I like a lot. The Zoo Project at Gala Night (the huge open air complex known as abandoned zoo which never was a zoo) today had its opening. And it was a really good one! We arrived at about 5:30pm when things just began, but at that time there were already many people there having a good time around the pool, lounging around, listening to the deep house beats and – if hungry – having BBQ! The Zoo Project crew had been really busy during the winter and they’ve improved a lot of things. The whole area looks a lot nicer and the BBQ is perfect! When things began to get going, I had to leave. But I was back by 10pm, when the party was in full swing, Jamie Jones playing a great set in the Sealpit, everyone dancing, many dressed up and facepainted people, the MinxFx doing their fireshows again…that’s how I remember Zoo Project and they’re back on track! After Jamie Jones, Defex (ZP headhoncho) played the closing set and declared their 2008 season opened! I really like this party and seeing how busy it already was today, I guess this will be absolutely great during the next 3 months! Here are some pix as well…

322254713.jpg

322254715.jpg

322254718.jpg

i have no nighttime pictures, but check on DSI (donstayin) for example, there was a photographer of them around taking thousands of pictures and there you surely also find some pics of the minxfx' fireshows!

really looking forward to more saturdays at gala night!

Last edited by a moderator:
Space-Amnesia-Pacha-Amnesia

Was in Ibiza last week 14-21 June, first time, loved every bloody minute of it.

SATURDAY
Late night flight into Ibiza Airport, staying near San Rafael so post-midnight drinks on the roof terrace at L'Elephant. Nice way to start the week.

SUNDAY
WLS@Space was epic. I agree with nostrum on Ben Watt being a genius, but I then moved next door to see Felix (as I'd seen 2manyDjs in Leeds just a couple of months ago). Felix played a banging set including a great prodigy remix and finishing with his usual Nirvana big bang. Had a great night all round, loved the podiums in the Felix room. Salty tapwater was a letdown though.

MONDAY
Cocoon@Amnesia was a different fish but good nonetheless, much more mellowed vibe but the busiest I saw the big skylight room all week (until the Balearic saxophone stuff forced everyone into Sven's final two hours which where brilliant). I only got there for 3 but the four hours I saw/heard were well worth the entrance fee. Didn't hear anything about the rumoured beach party, took me 40 mins to get a cab home, but sitting in sun so didn't spoil the night too much.

TUESDAY
Sunset at Cafe del Mar, dinner in San Antonio and then home for chilled out night.

WEDNESDAY
Subliminal@Pacha, definitely the nicest club of the lot, beautifully designed inside. Loved the intimate dancefloor just below the DJ booth, and the speakers hanging just above it meant my ears were ringing as I left, but def worth it to get the full impact of Morillo's tunes. Kind of felt that his set became a little repetitive by the end, he was on for over 3 hours, but he played some corkers and the atmosphere was great.

THURSDAY
Cream@Amnesia, the night I'd been waiting for, for me this is what Ibiza is all about, Eddie Halliwell did a great warmup but Van Dyk was the daddy, whipping out some ridiculous trance including my all-time favourite Chicane Saltwater. Popped into the big skylight room for 30-45 mins to check out Dave Spoon who was getting a smaller but equally excited crowd pumped up. Stayed till Van Dyk played his last note on the dot of 7, brilliant night, loved it.

FRIDAY
Dinner at SunSeaBar in San Antonio, considered going out to Eden to see Tongy but body was in meltdown and early morning flight on Saturday meant I had to say no. Friends told me James Zabilae was the man of the night.

Ibiza was everything I wanted it to be, can't wait to go back next year.

i apologise in the first instance for this post but i didn't rate ben watt's set at wls opening, admittedly good mixing but didn't rate his tunes for a night out. good to listen to at home but not in space in my opinion. i gave up after half hour of his set went back into the discoteca until 2 many djs came on who i thought were good until they played flat eric and i was out of there....

again i'm sorry for the ben watt comments!

Back