Global Gathering 2011

one thing I will say about nearly all UK festivals is that they are money-driven and policed by knucklehead security teams which kinda ruin the experience for me. The idea of being at a festival for me is supposed to be about escapism, escaping the norm, escaping your normal weekend out, being free and open to new music, new people, new food etc etc - but such is the ever increasing popularity of festivals it's really hard to find any which are genuinely that good and different from the pack. The foreign ones increasingly appeal to me more because they seem genuinely more relaxed, even though they can never replace that wonderful feeling of being in the english countryside on a warm day. The festival I went to in ibiza last summer wasn't really a festival at all, more a collection of events, very amateurishly organised, which only added to their charm and as I get older that smallscale, closeknit kind of family feel to events is increasingly what I want, getting ruined alongside people whose values and tastes you trust rather than in a sea of anonymous people listening to music you simply can't bear. It's not so much about is DJ X better than DJ Y, I pretty much know already which DJs are on my wavelength, and I know a few of the ones I like in person, it's all about the vibe and the reason the festival exists in the first place and the rest will fall into place.

bang on Olly. That is pretty much my view on it too.

The English festival experience to me is now pretty much - meh. I have been and seen, enjoyed myself but that size of thing is not for me now.

The points I were making about GG were to do why people couldn't understand why certain acts were on, i was trying (perhaps now very well) to explain the economics of it.

Andy - it shouldn't be all about the money. But these festivals, at the end of the day, are. You may not like it, but its a fact. As i said before - people have choices, if you don't like then don't go. Your reasons for not going if you liked a lot of acts on the line up - that you had an issue with the headliners - don't make sense. But at the end of the day, its about choices and opinions.

As a side - the Global Gathering logo looks like it belongs on a women's healthcare advert.

Sorry - useless contribution.

bang on Olly. That is pretty much my view on it too.

The English festival experience to me is now pretty much - meh. I have been and seen, enjoyed myself but that size of thing is not for me now.

The points I were making about GG were to do why people couldn't understand why certain acts were on, i was trying (perhaps now very well) to explain the economics of it.

Andy - it shouldn't be all about the money. But these festivals, at the end of the day, are. You may not like it, but its a fact. As i said before - people have choices, if you don't like then don't go. Your reasons for not going if you liked a lot of acts on the line up - that you had an issue with the headliners - don't make sense. But at the end of the day, its about choices and opinions.

so then it isn't really how you view it

Most places that play proper dance music understand most of their punters will be :eek:, so don't turf them out. Once in Fabric, my mate got pounced on for being :eek: (think he was dancing with eyes closed). The two of us left behind were wondering what to do - should we leave the club and go looking for him outside? We maybe spent 30 minutes trying to suss out a plan and, just as we were thinking about going, he came running back in. They must have just put him in a holding pen :)lol:) to chill out for a bit.

In The Arches I've seen people leaning on walls or sleeping on chairs, but security just give them a gentle nudge to check they're alive or let them know it's almost closing time. Considering all that, it really p!$$ed me off once when I got refused entry (well, not exactly refused; was told to go away, have a bottle of water, then come back) for being 'drunk', when I was no more than tipsy. :rolleyes:

ha ha ha, sounds good to me :p

i was working late one evening and so didn't meet up with my mates til about half 9, we decided to go to a club, arriving about 10pm and i got stopped for being drunk, i hadn't even had a drink yet :rolleyes:

The English festival experience to me is now pretty much - meh.

Firstly - I wouldn't ever bother with Global Gathering.

Secondly - Nor would I bother with 30-something middle class champagne gatherings like Secret Garden (ugh).

Thirdly - the UK festival scene is bloody amazing*. <- present tense.

* and I was there pre '94. ;)

I'm young enough here that I don't know festivals any other way, other than how they are now. They are only going to be more commercialized as time goes on, whether that be here, or in the rest of the world. The economics of hiring a big act are bang on the target. The promoters are out to make money. And cannot operate festivals at a loss and cannot have them not sell out.

TRAAAAADE.

Best ever night ever. (ever.)

Never got a chance to go to a Trade night there. Went to The Gallery a few times (good few times) while I was in first year at uni. Loved it, and loved the closing party in Easter... it's been three years since that place closed. :(

To be fair if i could make a shed load of cash from spotty teenagers with no music taste I would do :)

I think most people would but then you have to expect the negative views and live with it. Why onemore feels the need to defend his mates with such effort when they are the ones laughing all the way to the bank is quite bizarre. their festival is sh*t, we announce that it's sh*t, they still get money... let us have our rant, it's all that we have :lol:

Firstly - I wouldn't ever bother with Global Gathering.

Secondly - Nor would I bother with 30-something middle class champagne gatherings like Secret Garden (ugh).

Thirdly - the UK festival scene is bloody amazing*. <- present tense.

* and I was there pre '94. ;)

Rob - i possibly should have said 'Big English Festival' - of course there are the smaller ones, many of which I am sure I have never heard of, that are smashing it.

the reason is: I refuse to give a penny to these cheesy, pop stars who are raping the dance music scene, these aren't dance acts or electronic acts, these are pop stars, or urban or whatever you want to call this rubbish, they are definitely not electronic in any way!

the reason is: I refuse to give a penny to these cheesy, pop stars who are raping the dance music scene, these aren't dance acts or electronic acts, these are pop stars, or urban or whatever you want to call this rubbish, they are definitely not electronic in any way!

How so? Do they not do their vocals over electronic music?
Is that not what defines the Electronic scene?

They are only going to be more commercialized as time goes on

Yeah but that's nothing new.

OK so old Universe/Fantazia gatherings didn't have to foot huge council hearing/sound test/police bills... which I guess meant that they could be more creative with the budgets.

...but they were still in it for the money. ;)

Underground isn't dead, it just went back under.

OOtO, love4life and loads more exist below the radar.

I think most people would but then you have to expect the negative views and live with it. Why onemore feels the need to defend his mates with such effort when they are the ones laughing all the way to the bank is quite bizarre. their festival is sh*t, we announce that it's sh*t, they still get money... let us have our rant, it's all that we have :lol:

i think you mis-understand me. The people that are running the festival - Global Gathering, i don't know from Adam.

I am not trying to defend anyone. All I have said is that more commercial acts are needed to shift the large amount of tickets, and that those acts in turn allow the more 'underground' acts to be booked.

Back