Global Gathering 2011

That Video clearly just shows the worst of what happened at the festival. If people are out of it then it's not as if they can stop themselves being filmed. I can't see it being any worse than at any other festival.

On a brighter note..Gareth Emery recorded his set from GG UK 11.

http://www.garethemery.com/podcast/podcast_143/

Some things old, some things new, some things borrowed, something's....huge!

(he should definitely stay off the mic though) haha

That Video clearly just shows the worst of what happened at the festival. If people are out of it then it's not as if they can stop themselves being filmed. I can't see it being any worse than at any other festival.

On a brighter note..Gareth Emery recorded his set from GG UK 11.

http://www.garethemery.com/podcast/podcast_143/

Some things old, some things new, some things borrowed, something's....huge!

(he should definitely stay off the mic though) haha

Thanks for that one EVO, will def be listening to it!

Still waiting for your take on the weekend, ben - thought you were meant to be penning a few thoughts or something :) !! Were you in the Godskitchen tent by any chance while I was bouncing around with Bedrock ??

Ok, so global gathering...

Friday:
Rocked up to Global about midday, and unlike two years ago, there was no queue to get in. (In 2009, I queued five hours). Met a mate who was sat on his lonesome outside, as I had his ticket, and we joined the group in Red Camp (with a green flag, to confuse issues)
Went off to buy a crate of tubourg (£45 for 24 cans), as you can't take booze in to Global.
Police presence was high, spotted at least four sniffer dogs on the way in.
Had a couple of drinks, got the tent sorted (lovely big two man tent just for me), and rocked it down to the arena. Already felt shattered, as I'd only been back from Ibiza one full day.

First, hit up the Group Therapy tent.
Mat Zo played an electric opening set, pressing all the right buttons in all the right places. He really does deserve to be one of the two wonder children of the Anjunabeats label. Whatever he seems to do is gold.
Super 8 & Tab played an ok set, but it was nothing special, sadly. They didn't play any of the songs I wanted to hear (Empire, My Enemy...), and it was just all a bit lackluster. Won't be voting for them in the Top 100 this year. The other guys I was with went off to the dubstep tent, and I spent the rest of my night by myself.

Went off to see Funkagenda at Toolroom Knights... but got his location wrong, so saw Benny Benassi instead, who was pretty good. Realised 15 minutes in, and dashed to catch the last 15 of Funkagenda in the Global Tent, who had been a highlight of my festival in Creamfields 2009. Need to see him again, for a full set! What I heard, I was impressed
Up next was a 30 minute set of Mark Knight at Toolroom, who played a very electro set. Again, a festival favorite in 2009 for me, I couldn't help but feel a bit disapointed by him.
His set was just too early in the evening (9pm) and I was just too tired.

Headed off to the Main Stage, and caught Steve Angello playing for half an hour.
Typical SHM set (which I do enjoy). Hardcore tiredness was beginning to set in at this point, so I sat down and chilled for the half hour I was there.
Went back to the campsite, and got a cup of tea and a toastie from one of the vans. Compared to the rest of the festival food on offer, this was actually quite nice. Even got a free one, as the guy previously had paid for the toastie, then just walked off and hadn't come back.
Next up was Pendulum on the main stage, who were good, although Rob Swire shouting over their instrumental pieces kind of ruined those songs. Ran in to one of our group for 5 minutes at the end, before heading back to global to see Sasha.
Sasha was playing a very progressive / tech set, which I was just too tired to really enjoy, sadly.

Headed back to Group Therapy to catch Gabriel and Dresden, who were rocking the tent.
However, still not feeling it, I sat at the back of the tent to rest.
Underworld came on in the Global tent, and I had a second wave of energy, pushing me to get dancing. They played alot of stuff off of their new album, Barking, which I enjoyed. Watching the two guys play on their synths was really something.
Back to the Group Therapy tent, to catch the last hour of Above & Beyond, who were, as normal, on form. :) When they finished, Sander came on. Saw 15 minutes of him, then headed to see Eric Prydz in Concert

EPIC was an amazing idea. The stage was cool, and the transparent LED screen in front of the DJ booth was amazing. Watching shapes appear out of nowhere and look real was incredible to watch. However, my body got the better of me, and I left to go to sleep about 2.15am, but that may of been due to just how down tempo the music was.

Not that it's possible to get much sleep at festivals. Even with ear plugs.

Saturday:
A poor nights sleep, and waking up to a hot tent, was not pleasant.
We'd all made it back in one piece from the night previously, and decided to head out in to Stratford in search of a full English.
I highly recommend the Deli Café in Stratford upon Avon. The food was brilliant. And the toilets were good too :lol:
Spent a couple of hours in Stratford, then went back to Global, and finished (well, started) our crate of beer. Met some lovely people around us, including a couple and their daughter and her best friend, and two Americans from Oklahoma.
No one had a particular draw during the afternoon (for the state I was in, anyway, was just too tired..), so headed down about 8pm to catch Eddie Halliwell in Godskitchen.

Unlike previous festivals I've seen him at, he didn't do an ED-IT set, which was disappointing, as I feel those sets are much better, but he was still good. Sadly, I'd managed to get sunburnt during the afternoon, and that was beginning to get sore (Two weeks without any sunburn, then all of a sudden, one afternoon in the UK and my arms, neck and head are red...)

Headed off to the main stage to see Axwell, who played a near identical end set to Angello the night previously, but it gave me a good chance to rest at least.

After Axwell finished, I dashed back to the Godskitchen tent, as two guys I've wanted to see for months were playing. Cosmic Gate.
They absolutely ripped it up, playing all the tunes I wanted to hear, new ones I'd not heard... it was just incredible. The second wave of energy arrived just as they started, and I just went nuts. I keep missing them in Ibiza, and indeed, in the UK as well. They made their night when they played Arty - Around the world and Cosmic Gate - Fire Wire (Cosmic Gate's Back to the Future Remix)
After such an outing, I decided to make my way over and catch John Digweed, another firm favorite from Creamfields 2009. Very progressive, but very good. Felt like I was in space, floating to beats.

Next up in Godskitchen was Ferry Corsten. He played an Identical set, Song for Song, to the Full on Ferry night a few days previously (well, he dropped Minack from the GG set, but that was the only change). He played a remix of REM - Losing my religion, and the crowd just went nuts. I need to ID that track, as it's such a good song. Went mental to his set, then left to catch a bit of Carl Cox, who was playing Sander Van Doorn - KoKo, as I walked in. Then dropped some fairly pumping techno, was was good :)
Having to be up early on sunday (8am, as I hate queuing to get out of festivals), I called it a night there.

Cosmic Gate and Ferry Corsten were the best sets of the weekend for me, followed very closely by Above & Beyond. I've always used festivals, and Ibiza, to help me decide my votes for the top 100, and those three will most definitely be voted for.
This was a good festival, especially as I can now no longer do Creamfields, but with only being back a day from Ibiza, I feel I just didn't enjoy it as much as I could of done, which was a gutting shame.

Going back? Yes!! Global 2012 will probably be my only festival next year, with Ibiza 2012 being in September.

8) - ta !

Glad you saw Diggers - he wasn't at his very best especially at the end of his set. Much better at Space earlier in July. Hernan Cattaneo was cool but the corker was Guy J - go see him if you ever get the chance, he's really on form.. really clever production and he absolutely blew the roof off early in the evening. People were going mental (me included) with it still light outside. :p

Felt like everyone was spent by the time Coxy came on (proper techno but atmosphere was lacklustre for that time of the night ?) and it was so rammed in there found it hard to enjoy or dance ? .. ended up squeezed in right at the back like a sardine with people waving free pills at anyone who wanted them :confused: - all a bit odd !

Guy J was on my list, but he either conflicted, or was on too early. Don't remember which.

Carl cox wasnt too bad by time we got there at 1.45. Did you on go for the one night?

Just the Saturday - was overwhelmed with work and thought I wouldn't be up here to make any of it but was in the end. Getting a bit long in the tooth for the camping thing :oops: .. such an effort with a bed nearby !

Bought a ticket on-line on the day and got there about 5 which was way too early, but without a timed line-up you just never know. Not paying £8 for a b***dy programme for a night either :x ! Dubstep and bar music did my head in early on and had to go sink some serious vodka redbulls to get in the mood, tbh .. would have gone nuts after 4 hours of that if I'd arrived for when the music started.

Went to Coxy's about 12.45. Probably too early. Left soon after anyhow for a rave .. turned into keystone pantomime as in a dizzy moment hadn't twigged there was no party licence :lol:

Like the old breakbeat stuff and the very best of it but what I was hearing was absolute complete and utter b***ocks !!

True - I think SW4 is just the same if not even more lacking. But hey, ho - it's not in a sweaty club for a change (not that I'm complaining about sweaty clubs, far from it, just nice to get a change).

This is true, I remember Creamfields being louder (Except the main stage, which was whisper quiet)

I find these days all the festivals have to keep the volume down, back in the late 90's I used to go every year to the Gatecrasher summer sound system at Turweston, and the sound was booming loud, just how you needed it:)

Whereas Creamfields was loads quieter, the hard house tent lacked atmosphere because of it:(

Early globals were loud, but have quietened down over the years and now they finish at 4am too!!

I think the shift in times for Global is good, as they increased the first day.
First day should be longer than the second imho

Ikoda - Great review and i agree with a lot of it.

This was my first time ever at a "Proper" Festival ( have done Electric Gardens, Sellindge and LED festival previous) and we did the whole camping thing. I really enjoyed Global. I was camping in the Red Area ( with a green sign) and we were so far back i think we were the furthest away from the actual arenas ( was some bloody trek too !).

Got there on the Friday and waited for the arenas to open ( was a bit frustrating to be kept waiting) spirits were good and the excitement was building. Went to see Micky Slimm open on the main stage was very disappointed with the volume. Beardy man then came on which was fascinating for about 5 Minutes then got bored very quickly.

Then to the toolroom nights stage, Michael Woods - He was great and played a nice high energy fast paced set, sound was again disappointing but if you stood by the speakers it was LOUD.

Back to the main stage for Steve Angello - I used to love him when he done his SIZE stuff at Ministry but it was a cheesy rendition of the beat port top 10 Progressive charts lots of flam throwers, pyrotechnics, smoke and streamers the kind of big room experience i suppose you would expect from the SHM

Then went to catch Doorley in the Annie Mac Tent, was a really nice set and played a mixture of house, tech and dubstep volume was at a good level and great to get in the mood. We then went and saw a bit of Funkagenda ( not sure fo the order its a bit hazy :) )

Then we saw Fedde Le Grand at the toolroom stage ( and stood by the speaker) Wow one of the best sets of the festival and really got us in the mood !

Kept changing between Underworld and Dubfire ( who all he seems to do is just take the bass out for 3 mins then put it back on and repeat for the whole set) Underworld closing was brilliant just like at the radio 1 weekend in Ibiza last year. Some of the visuals and parts of the show was great but nothing compares to when they play born slippy !!

Then afterwards the stage behind lit up and eric prydz "EPIC" show was taking place, although the visually were something special the music was dull flat and boring. went outside to get some food and had a chat with Michael Woods when we heard personal jesus playing we ran back to the Prydz tent, the music git very flat again very quickly, went to the annie mac tent and rocked out a little bit then the what seemed like MASSIVE walk back to the tent, the campsite was noisy but not as bad as i expected really and fell asleep waking up in a tent that felt like it was 1000 Degrees !

Day 2

Got stripped washed, change of clothes and a freshen up and was ready to go again, laid on the grass listening to the music from Godskitchen arena and watching people do the Bunjee Jump. After a while went to the main stage ( music seemed a little louder)

Found a nice spot on the main stage to sit and watch the show here saw AN21, Axwell ( who was very much like Steve Angello) and a few others, wondered around and saw a few acts and went to see Chase and Status who my mate was keen to see. Caught the end of DJ Hype and IC3 and man the place was rammed to the rafters I actually couldn't handle being so cramped in so went to watch Nic Fanciulli, the Carl Cox both were very good and played some nice chugging House and Techno.

Off to see James Zabelia caught the last 20 mins of Digweed ( i think) , was suprised this tent was not busier but after James had done his usual 10 Minute into and actualy started playing some beats i started to enjoy myself.

After this i had lost all my mates so decided to head back to the tent (which felt like miles away) Up the next morning to leave the longest car park que ever!!!! Managed to push our way through and pushed our way to the front.

Overall was good fun, sound systems could have been better. Got Creamfields up next but ive been told that this is a bit rough and a bit of attitude. Kind of put me off a bit.

Tune of the festival ( The one that breaks to a guy saying Are you having a mother ****ing good time, someone pass me a cassette Etc Etc Cant remember what its called)

Fronty: some of the stuff the global guys say about Creamfields is bollocks. I've never had any problems at the Creamfields festivals. IF not for the lack of cash, I'd be doing Creamfields myself. The night ends very early on Sunday, at 11pm.

Good review :)

Back