Global Gathering 2011

just found out soundstream are playing down my road tmrw night. Get in!

my kinda house music :twisted:

hey andyallwood you really have got some issues/problems with everything, stop being so judgemental.... i only read the first 2 pages of this and the last 2 and your still waffling. have you only just started going out and got shouted at by a local in a pub...:lol: i know this a forum for talking about all things but come on???????

hey andyallwood you really have got some issues/problems with everything, stop being so judgemental.... i only read the first 2 pages of this and the last 2 and your still waffling. have you only just started going out and got shouted at by a local in a pub...:lol: i know this a forum for talking about all things but come on???????

well this is a forum about music, Ibiza etc where everybody expresses their opinions on subject at hand, some are too scared though and just agree with everything and everyone zzzz, also there is more than one debate going on in this thread, it starts off with the poor headliners at Creamfields and is now on the subject of favourite Ibiza dj's, this might change to something else, that's part of the fun of a forum.
I don't understand the terminology of "have you just started to go out and got shouted at by someone in a local pub" but instead of moaning about me expressing my views (and i was also answering questions people were asking if you take the time to look back) why don't you express your own opinions and join in? ;)

They had Global Gathering in St Petersburg 2 weekends ago when I was there for business. Zabiela, Schulz, Axwell, Van Doorn, Hawtin, Laidback Luke, Adam Beyer headlining.

I thought about going but decided not to make the trek as it was way outside of town and I'd had a busy couple of days. Plus I'm really only enamored of a couple of the headliners

Glad I didn't go because apparently the cops were there surreptitiously filming everybody. The results are at once comedic and frightening.

http://www.vesti.ru/only_video.html?vid=349767

(news report in Russian, but all you really need are the pictures!)

They had Global Gathering in St Petersburg 2 weekends ago when I was there for business. Zabiela, Schulz, Axwell, Van Doorn, Hawtin, Laidback Luke, Adam Beyer headlining.

I thought about going but decided not to make the trek as it was way outside of town and I'd had a busy couple of days. Plus I'm really only enamored of a couple of the headliners

Glad I didn't go because apparently the cops were there surreptitiously filming everybody. The results are at once comedic and frightening.

http://www.vesti.ru/only_video.html?vid=349767

(news report in Russian, but all you really need are the pictures!)
Jeeeeeeeeeeesus :eek:

Apparently GHB or GBL (not sure which abbreviation it translates as) is the illicit drug of choice in St Pete these days. Doesn't look very pleasant!

Managed to download about 2 mins of that Morbs before systems crash again - does it get much worse at the end ? The state of the people filmed in the first 2 minutes or so no worse than you see on a Saturday night @ Fabric or a Festival in the UK .... ?

Did you get to the point where the guy turned a portable toilet over on himself?
The saddest part is the row of about 10 kids lying on a mat unconscious
It's far worse than I've seen in any Ibizan, UK or Russian club or at festivals I've been to (Exit, Kazantip, SW4).

I haven't been to Global Gathering before (St Pete or UK) so I can't make a like-for-like comparison

havent watched the full video yet, but it reminded me of something i was reading the other week on the Independent about Krokodil in Russia, not sure if i read it on Spotlight or not - week in Ibiza has jaded my braincells somewhat - but here's the story on the Indy site http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/krokodil-the-drug-that-eats-junkies-2300787.html and here's a subsequent vid i found http://morrisonworldnews.com/?p=51494 WARNING - VERY GRAPHIC - you need a strong stomach for it, i was suspicious of its credibility at first but it looks real... Morbyd, have you heard about this? or is it just a fantastical internet meme?

watched it now, to be fair dont think there's anything worse there than is witnessed by emergency workers at most big festivals - or A&E on a regular saturday night with alcohol - it looks bad to us cos we dont see it all in one place, but the odd messy bloke/girl is normal here and there! :confused:

Morbs - think you're just 'gettin' old' with the rest of us :)

watched it now, to be fair dont think there's anything worse there than is witnessed by emergency workers at most big festivals - or A&E on a regular saturday night with alcohol - it looks bad to us cos we dont see it all in one place, but the odd messy bloke/girl is normal here and there! :confused:

Precisely.

Did you get to the point where the guy turned a portable toilet over on himself?

Just about, I think - one portaloo knocked over and the adjacent one looked like someone was being forcibly removed :confused: - maybe I've misinterpreted ! ? Must admit I thought the guy was drunk ! :)

The saddest part is the row of about 10 kids lying on a mat unconscious

Presumably that was somewhere near the medical tent ? Given the number of people attending, and that it's basically an electronic music festival, 10 casualties at any time people are actively taking their poisons is not that many is it ?? They could also just be p1ssed to the point of falling unconscious (very widespread – on a night out in any British town or city as Red says ? .. just that they've been carted off to the nearest hospital out of sight by then !!)

To be fair, I see WAY less evidence of harmful drug use at clubs in Ibiza than the ones I usually go to in UK (or festivals here) - at least in the predominantly early/lateish seasons I usually go there that is. It's another reason the 'reputation' of the place on that front is so undeserved.

Global is not some den of reckless excess - aside from the main stage it's a good weekend out with some great music and dancing in a choice of pavilions. Sure a few people probably fell a bit too far down the k-hole on the dancefloor this yar and had to collapse for a while but they usually got up again and carried on regardless ! A few others dotted about barely conscious near the edges of the tents were on the whole taking 'time out'.

London lately has been far messier. Groups of 5-10 at a time unable to stand up or keep their eyes open more than a slit when the shades came off a couple of weeks ago by later hours.. not 'kids' either - and it's not just fatigue. Looked like bad drug combos and sedatives /heavy tranquilisers to me but I'm no expert. If K can knock a horse out, it can sure knock a human out !!

These are the events and clubs where people go to ‘have it large' (always have been ?) so a few casualties will be inevitable ? Nothing I saw from Global Russia is any worse than it was when I was a ‘raving :p teenager' in Britain !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHs8LxPepKU

havent watched the full video yet, but it reminded me of something i was reading the other week on the Independent about Krokodil in Russia, not sure if i read it on Spotlight or not - week in Ibiza has jaded my braincells somewhat - but here's the story on the Indy site http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/krokodil-the-drug-that-eats-junkies-2300787.html and here's a subsequent vid i found http://morrisonworldnews.com/?p=51494 WARNING - VERY GRAPHIC - you need a strong stomach for it, i was suspicious of its credibility at first but it looks real... Morbyd, have you heard about this? or is it just a fantastical internet meme?
Coincidentally, I was just out drinking with (among others) the guy that wrote that Indy article.

I've heard about the whole Krokodil problem but only through him and another friend who writes for Time magazine. It's not widespread - limited to serious addicts (mainly heroin junk types) and mainly in the provinces.

Moscow is like London - it's all about coke among the partying classes, really (main reason why I steer clear of the drug scene here). This GHB/GBL thing is a St Pete problem.

That video on the physical effects of injecting Krokodil is truly horrific - it's got a real apocalyptic overtone to it in a way and actually hard to believe how horrendous the physical damage is.

I am truly gutted to the core for those people who have ended up in that mess. Death would be a blessing compared to a life like that. Awful.

I couldn't watch the video all the way through. When they got to that girl I had to turn it off! Truly frightening stuff.

Back