Global Gathering 2011

They have decided to earn more money by aiming at a younger market.....they have to aim at a younger market cos that is who goes, in the main, to these events.

maybe if they didn't aim it at a younger/dumber market, more people with decent taste in music would go!

There is a choice for everyone at these things

no there isn't

if you want genuine musical choice, you go to glastonbury or bestival where you will hear house, dnb, techno, folk, chilled out stuff, jazz, indie, reggae, pop, live electronics, you name it.

Thanks Ms Boo 8)

see look at that line up! even though some acts aren't my kind of thing at least they all fit under the 'dance' label

And I bet you, a pound to a penny, that it's capacity was a hell of a lot smaller, too, so could get away with less 'mainstream dance' acts.

You cannot have both an 'underground scene' and expect people to sell out a 50,000 capacity venue. That just doesn't work. Underground tends to mean not known, correct? So how would this underground DJ help sell 50,000 tickets?
Generally speaking, if people don't know who there going to see or what they are letting themselves in for, especially when it costs £120 for the tickets, they won't go.

GG and Creamfields are all about making money for the promoters. Else they wouldn't put it on, or wouldn't charge a fee. No one does anything in this world for free.

Onemore: Creamfields looks good for Trance, which is my favorite music genre, by far.

no there isn't

if you want genuine musical choice, you go to glastonbury or bestival where you will hear house, dnb, techno, folk, chilled out stuff, jazz, indie, reggae, pop, live electronics, you name it.

The problem with Glastonbury is that it's a right arse-ache to get tickets. Which is why I've yet to go :(

maybe if they didn't aim it at a younger/dumber market, more people with decent taste in music would go!

who is on that line up that you like???

people are getting stressed about 2 artists from what i can see.

there is about another 100 acts on, so go and see someone else somewhere else when the acts you don't like are playing!

the likes of Tinie Tempah and other pop stars stop me from going, like Dizzee Rascal stopped me from going last year, Guetta has stopped me going to Creamfields this year also.

If they stop putting 'artists' like these on I'm sure more people with taste would go, instead of the young, tone deaf crowd!

I meant at a younger market than before 15, 16,17 these should be aimed at 18 plus at least, and I know plenty of 20 year olds who are into house and techno in a big way.... they had Kanye West one year how much did he cost??? Surely they wernt hiring him to draw in crowds and aid the costs of Hawtin etc surely if they left Kanye out and maybe didnt sell every ticket they would have still afforded the top DJs.

Look at the european dance festivals.. timewarp, klubbers day, sonar why can't ours be a bit more like theirs

And I bet you, a pound to a penny, that it's capacity was a hell of a lot smaller, too, so could get away with less 'mainstream dance' acts.

You cannot have both an 'underground scene' and expect people to sell out a 50,000 capacity venue. That just doesn't work. Underground tends to mean not known, correct? So how would this underground DJ help sell 50,000 tickets?
Generally speaking, if people don't know who there going to see or what they are letting themselves in for, especially when it costs £120 for the tickets, they won't go.

GG and Creamfields are all about making money for the promoters. Else they wouldn't put it on, or wouldn't charge a fee. No one does anything in this world for free.

Onemore: Creamfields looks good for Trance, which is my favorite music genre, by far.

Then they shouldn't do it in a 50,000 capacity venue, that is just greed, and obviously money is more important to them than the music, and once that happens it all goes down hill!

Becki, do you not think that 'dance' music in the form that you are referring to is simply not as popular as it used to be with the younger people coming into the 'scene'.

I certainly believe that is the case. And i don't reckon a line up like that first GG (which i was at actually) would sell out a 2 day festival in 2011.

If we like it or not, the 'true' forms of dance music are simply not as popular with the younger people as they were. This is proved by how popular those that sit on the fringe of dance/pop - Guetta/Tiesto/SHM etc are currently..

I agree with you to a point. The dance music of today is Breakbeat, Dubstep, Grime etc (pretty much what's in the rinse arena at GG), whereas in my teens it was Garage, Drum and bass, Hardcore :oops: and Hardhouse. However I know for a fact these genres of music are still going and are still really popular with the kidz.

I don't think these types of music are necessarily less popular, I just think that GG can see a gap in their festival business plan and can see extra $$$ being made by including a more mainstream lineup. The underground artists are still there, it's just the headliners are there to pull in more people from the mainstream groups.

My younger bro (21) hasn't got a clue about dance music, his imagintation just about stretches to Pendulum. When he starts talking about going to GG I know it's sold out! :rolleyes: :lol:

who is on that line up that you like???

people are getting stressed about 2 artists from what i can see.

there is about another 100 acts on, so go and see someone else somewhere else when the acts you don't like are playing!

why should i give a single penny of my hard earned (sometimes) money to the pop stars though?

the likes of Tinie Tempah and other pop stars stop me from going, like Dizzee Rascal stopped me from going last year, Guetta has stopped me going to Creamfields this year also.

If they stop putting 'artists' like these on I'm sure more people with taste would go, instead of the young, tone deaf crowd!

thats massively cutting off your nose to spite your face mate!!

If there is someone on you really wanna see who you rarely get chance to see (say Hawtin for example who rarely plays in the UK) then why would you let 2 artists who you wouldn't listen to anyway stop you going?? That is non-sensical.

What is the big thing about a massive capacity???

Is it better when there are 20000 than when there are 10000?? Some very bizarre viewpoints related to 'music' festivals here..

I agree with you to a point. The dance music of today is Breakbeat, Dubstep, Grime etc (pretty much what's in the rinse arena at GG), whereas in my teens it was Garage, Drum and bass, Hardcore :oops: and Hardhouse. However I know for a fact these genres of music are still going and are still really popular with the kidz.

I don't think these types of music are necessarily less popular, I just think that GG can see a gap in their festival business plan and can see extra $$$ being made by including a more mainstream lineup. The underground artists are still there, it's just the headliners are there to pull in more people from the mainstream groups.

My younger bro (21) hasn't got a clue about dance music, his imagintation just about stretches to Pendulum. When he starts talking about going to GG I know it's sold out! :rolleyes: :lol:

exactly - cos if they don't come you have not got the finance to bring over the likes of Hawtin/Cox/Sasha/John Digweed and all the others who will be costing at least 5 figures each in terms of fees

the kids don't have a clue. they don't know what house music is and they would rather inhale balloons than pop Es

they're therefore beyond hope - and I wish to spend as much time with them as I would in a dental surgery

I would have thought the whole mephedrone/online research chemical thing turned a new generation on to drugs.

But, yeah, a lot of people think they're into dance music when what they actually mean is they're into chart music they can dance to.

onemore said:
Those that do can choose to listen to whoever they want to. If someone buys a ticket to see Tempah and he smashes it then they are happy, if someone buys a ticket cos Hawtin/Cox/Beyer are on and have the biggest grin ever when Hawtin plays Spastic then they are happy too.

But they may have to suffer the indignity of brushing past Tinie Tempah fans on the way in and being contaminated with uncoolness. :lol:

thats massively cutting off your nose to spite your face mate!!

If there is someone on you really wanna see who you rarely get chance to see (say Hawtin for example who rarely plays in the UK) then why would you let 2 artists who you wouldn't listen to anyway stop you going?? That is non-sensical.

Hawtin played Atomicjam bham last year. Anyone deperate to see him would have been there partying with only likewise people.. it's not the fact that 2 poo artists are there (anyway theres way more than 2) It's the fact that the whole vibe is altered it changes EVERYTHING

exactly - cos if they don't come you have not got the finance to bring over the likes of Hawtin/Cox/Sasha/John Digweed and all the others who will be costing at least 5 figures each in terms of fees

I dunno, in 2003 they had Hawtin, Cox, Tiesto, Digweed, Morillo. They didn't need any mainstream artists that year :?:

What about the true dance music lovers who couldn't afford to buy their ticket straight away then learned that the effin thing had sold out because TT was there

Back