Global Gathering 2011

Anyway I'm going to free rotation - a festival where you can only attend if you're a member and only other members can invite you to be a member. New members cannot invite people until the next year. I have no beef with Global as it has no interest to me but I will ne'er miss a chance to battle with the whores of society :D

Anyway I'm going to free rotation - a festival where you can only attend if you're a member and only other members can invite you to be a member. New members cannot invite people until the next year. I have no beef with Global as it has no interest to me but I will ne'er miss a chance to battle with the whores of society :D

i do hope i am not being referred to as a whore of society?!?!?

Haha, it was a general question, Olly, and I'm not lecturing, I'm asking a simple question ;)

wow page 8 already, you lot are hardcore 8)

I havent even gotta read it to know whats being said :lol:

Stubborn f**ks anyone :lol:

I have a serious questions to ask all of you.
Please don't take offense.

Is it a general thing that as you get older, you tend to get more narrow minded about music?

Yes and no I guess.

I knew my Kraftwerks from my Kylies in Primary School. The discernment in my music taste hasn't changed much since my teens tbh.

The one thing I can't bear is fadism...when a bunch of nu-fashion heads start spouting b0llocks about what I should listen to.

...and also, just because it's yesterday's sound, it doesn't mean it's dead.

I hear the faint sound of a distant die hard Beethoven/ Mozart/ Tchaikovsky fan screaming "none of what you speak of is music you apeths" :cry::cry:

Yes and no I guess.

I knew my Kraftwerks from my Kylies in Primary School. The discernment in my music taste hasn't changed much since my teens tbh.

The one thing I can't bear is fadism...when a bunch of nu-fashion heads start spouting b0llocks about what I should listen to.

I think you start off liking a lot and as you get older you start to pick out the crap. Most people's true music taste stays the same, but what you are subliminally told to like is what dies

wow, spent my whole lunch hour reading over this... :lol:

Ikoda, Im with you 100% on what you've said, similarly with you onemore.

specially here.. ;)
Favorite club in the world is Turnmills.
Could not beat that club.

Global- Perhaps not a great line-up for some people but the point of these things is much about being with your mates, getting lost, sharing funny times as it is about the music. It might be the case that in your group of mates not everyone likes dance music so they might be more likely to come along if there's a pop act playing... and maybe this person that wasn't previously into dance then listens to sasha or cox and then changes his mind??

I certainly prefer big clubs and big lights to small venues, but again thats just a personal view.

I think its funny how some people say they started liking trance but now don't since it got commercial.. (like when ATB got released rob ;) Yet id say most of them havent been to a proper trance night in the last 5 years.

Having said all this my best nights over the last few months have been with joris voorn, danny howells and ellen allien. if its good its good whatever it is.

if something is dated, I don't think that pointing that out is necessarily faddism though

pretty much all the progressive sounds of the mid-90s sound horrifically dated as does much of the US Garage around that same time.

production line standards mean limited longevity - destination: the 10p rack at the soul & dance exchange

however, I can't stand certain trends either - the current appetite for Nicolas Jaar for instance - he will be forgotten in a year's time but reading certain blogs you would think he was the most amazing thing in dance culture since the mirrorball

Yes and no I guess.

Actually - what am I saying - the complete opposite is true.

I'm more eclectic now than I've ever been.

Have been buying up anything from Jazz to Simon and Garfunkel recently. :oops:

...plus anything I missed first time around in the 80s.

The only bit of me that is old per se is the bit that feels frustrated about nothing new coming out in dance. House is still bloody brilliant and still invokes the same feelings but I don't feel that any of the stuff I'm hearing now is worlds away from the 90s.

(and being a huge fan of that era I think it was better then.)

if something is dated, I don't think that pointing that out is necessarily faddism though

The two statements weren't linked.

Re: Bestival - sold! 8)

...but why the urge to stay away?

If I wanted to keep everything 'just the way it was' I'd have given it all up at 20.

(says he who hasn't felt the urge to revisit Ibiza since 2007.)

When ATb got released (1999 if I'm correct) was when I started liking trance. The reason I started liking it was because my first real clubbing experience bar 1 or 2 when I was 16/18 , was in Amnesia Ibiza - this is a good example of how lights, ice cannons etc can make you think you like something.. I still do like some of the trance tunes from back then because they have memories. I wouldn't not like something because it is commercial. Daft Punk are probably one of the most commercial dance acts ever but they make people like Tiesto and Guetta look shameful. The reason I stopped liking trance is because the more I went clubbing the more I realised room 2 had better music without all the lazers and ice cannons. Although I'd always loved house from when I was tiny I'd never heard it in a club - the pretty lights are what drew me to the trance!

Back