G20 Summit

I just hate the police - UK/Spanish in particular

my 85 year old aunt burgled in Somerset - losing priceless sentimental possessions -and some bored copper eventually turns up and gives her a form to fill in

I miss an amber light by a mili-second and they're on to me in an instant

and don't set me off on drugs...

As for the Spanish police, my mother was teargassed by 6 coppers during an anti-Franco rally in the late 60s, that's when they weren't cautioning her for speaking in her own language..

w/a/n/k/e/r/s always

*NB - I may have been a bit frivolous in previous post - only just learnt someone died yesterday :eek:

i know 2 coppers, both do beak...fact!!

:)

I once lived at this house in Swiss Cottage and we were interviewing for a new flatmate and this older fella came round one day and darting glances around, asked us "Do any of you smoke?" Slightly wary of his tone, I replied cagily "well" and shrugged and then he said, "Not that I have a problem or anything, but I work with sniffer dogs!"

He wasn't asked back.

I was just thinking about the cost of policing this protest. How much did it cost for 4000-5000 people out of a UK population of 61 million to have their right to protest.

Shouldn't you need some sort of mandate from a majority to cause that sort of public expenditure?

Or would you never get the mandate without the ability to attract publicity with a small number in agreement?

Just thinking out loud.....

I was just thinking about the cost of policing this protest. How much did it cost for 4000-5000 people out of a UK population of 61 million to have their right to protest.

Shouldn't you need some sort of mandate from a majority to cause that sort of public expenditure?

Or would you never get the mandate without the ability to attract publicity with a small number in agreement?

Just thinking out loud.....

£7mil is the figure ive heard of.

still probably doesnt bother most of those who organised the protests as they aint the one who are paying for it.

lets get rid of any form of law and order and have everyone do what they like see what happens.

still probably doesnt bother most of those who organised the protests as they aint the one who are paying for it.

lets get rid of any form of law and order and have everyone do what they like see what happens.

£7.2m is allegedly the policing for the whole G20 shebang, protests and conferences etc.

My first offence a school mate who joined the fuzzed got all my fingerprints and photos back before they were put onto their computers. Nice chap.

Copper down the pub used to bring us all stuff down he nicked off dealers etc. Happy old beer garden that used to be in the summer. Think he got found out after taking a few of the chaps on his night patrol with him and the car ended up resembling something from a cheech and chong movie. He got the boot last I heard after doing a bit of bird too. Lovely fella.

However I have had enough runs in from the old bill, they ransacked my old dears house on two occassions looking for me. They knew where I was but doing it just to cause grief to my old dear. Pr1cks.

I have been nicked twice by Sheffield police basically for being too well dressed for Sheffield. I have also taken many a whack round the Scotch Eggs by the Met Police for stepping outside of their imaginary line en route to game of footie.

So I have personal cases for and against coppers.

One thing that does p1ss me off is that they all bowl round inside the Lovebox festival perving over birds, claiming double bubble and getting day in lieu holiday and then man handling some reveller for smoking a bit of tumbleweed claiming it as a major bust but as soon as the festival ends and all the dodgy funkers come out of the shadows officer dibble has disappeared home for tea and tumbleweed.

One thing that does p1ss me off is that they all bowl round inside the Lovebox festival perving over birds, claiming double bubble and getting day in lieu holiday and then man handling some reveller for smoking a bit of tumbleweed claiming it as a major bust but as soon as the festival ends and all the dodgy funkers come out of the shadows officer dibble has disappeared home for tea and tumbleweed.

Them steaming 20-strong into the Secret Sundaze bit to nick one bloke was a bit OTT last year.

old story about a pal of mine from Manc, a few years ago, went to procure a substantial chunk of columbias finest.....(the salford blend I think) from a "man that could" and when he was waiting there was another geezer there who got introduced to him as "detective inspector wassisname"....... suitably equipped they both left together and when they got outside, said copper offered my mate a lift....which he refused point blank!! :lol:

Yeah they love it don't they. Think they are the SAS.

I'd still rather have them than not.

My mate's dad is one of the nicest, even handed, brightest people I know. When my mate (his son) lost it though 'over-indulgence' and ended up in a psychiatric unit, he never judged him and talked frankly with me about what had happened.

He was North London's top copper for 20 years.

I'd still rather have them than not.

My mate's dad is one of the nicest, even handed, brightest people I know. When my mate (his son) lost it though 'over-indulgence' and ended up in a psychiatric unit, he never judged him and talked frankly with me about what had happened.

He was North London's top copper for 20 years.

Without a doubt.

My mate's old man was in the force for years and has an OBE from it. Top fella. Used to drive us all to away days so we could have a booze etc and never questioned or gave us any grief. He used to take the missus so they could have a nice day out with a spot of lunch somewhere while the rest of us were making a nuisance of ourselves somewhere. Like Tropic Thunder or any 'Nam film nobody got left behind!:lol:

To be honest I feel a bit for him though as he constantly has to bail his son out financially due to his reckless ways but doesn't work. Kids hey, who'd have them.

Just did a series of web searches:

Cost of war on Iraq = £1 billion a year - total = £3.1 billion.

Cost of Trident missiles = £12.6 billion plus £280 million to maintain.

Cost of the bank bailout to the taxpayer = £1.5 trillion.

You could say this is a drop in the ocean compared to the amount these irresponsible bankers have pi$$ed up the wall - not to mention the bonuses they've rewarded themselves with as a result.

That's not to say I think the protests were particularly useful but let's get a little bit of perspective.

I never said I thought these demos were particularly effective so I'm not sure I understand MarkB's point. Why would anyone in the banking sector agree with my thoughts on the matter? :lol:

it's kicking OFF!

610x.jpg

A dust up was inevitable.

Cost of Trident missiles = £12.6 billion plus £280 million to maintain.
Ya, but at least a Trident missile accomplishes something. BAM! :lol:

This demonstration just ended up with a few broken windows and a few blokes cooling their heels in the slammer. Oh joy!

I never said I thought these demos were particularly effective so I'm not sure I understand MarkB's point. Why would anyone in the banking sector agree with my thoughts on the matter? :lol:

You didn't understand my point, perhaps it's the flu :lol:

You said you were sick of protesters being broadly labelled as "crusties" and said it was the Red top influence to blame.

I simply reminded you that through your broad condemnation of bankers and capitalism, that you, yourself, are guilty of the very thing you resent.

That being the application of a broad, inaccurate, generalisation to a complex matter.

Or in other words, to use an highly appropriate phrase,

"Thou Dost Protest too much"

:lol:

Mr smuggins that's really patronising!

I respect your views - you're entitled to them.

The difference between us is that you trust that the bankers are being altruistic and acting in the only way they know how.

I don't...they seemed to know about all this mess brewing ages before it kicked off.

The capitalist model cares about profit - until the whole thing goes crazy which it has.

Let's shake hands and agree to disagree please...and don't give me any of that, 'my dear boy I was merely stating...' tosh. :lol:

Ya, but at least a Trident missile accomplishes something. BAM! :lol:

This demonstration just ended up with a few broken windows and a few blokes cooling their heels in the slammer. Oh joy!

:lol: I guess it would momentarily look quite pretty.

Back