first season without after hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Puritanical Ibiza

why ? ? ?

Well, some people can't sleep at night because they're worrying there might be somebody, somewhere enjoying themselves. Maybe dancing to music they enjoy or maybe driving a nice car - just something that the person doesn't like / can't afford / doesn't understand / is not able to do themselves. Sadly, there are plenty of people in the world for whom this a good enough reason to hate and act (or dream of acting) aggressive towards the ones who are enjoying themselves.

The club culture presents an antithesis of this mentality. Clubbing is about enjoying yourself and loving others to help them to enjoy themselves as well. Unlike the people described in the first paragraph, clubbers get happy, not angry, from seeing someone else being happy.

As for myself, through the 90s I used to party all over mainland Europe. In 2001-2006 I went to Ibiza twice every summer with my wife, spending thousands of euros there every year. In 2006 the situation was not as good as in the previous years - more aggressive police, too crowded at DC10, Cocoon after parties closed down by cops.

Last year I was planning to go again, but then read about the club closures and even more aggressive police. No Ibiza for us, instead went to Berlin 5 times last year.

This year I was thinking of going again but then saw the news on this site. So, at least here you have a factual example of a "quality tourist" (in terms of education, income, choice of restaurants etc) deciding not to go to Ibiza because of the new policies. And I don't think we're the only ones.

It seems many people here think Ibiza is the only good place for parties and they haven't experienced a wide variety of parties. Having quite a lot of party/club experience (18 years of weekly going out to dance) I think the best parties are:

a relaxed. You can move around freely, dance, chill, come and go as you wish.
b have friendly people (doesn't hurt if they look good too)
c don't have aggressive people, including bouncers or police
d have super music (obviously)
e don't cost an arm and leg
f beautiful location

Now Ibiza is having big, big problems with A and C. E too, but I can afford it so it's not a deciding factor.

I'd say Cocoon afters on the beach are parties which tick all points a-f. But in puritanical Ibiza they are not allowed. Fortunately you can find plenty of parties which tick all points in mainland Europe.

Now to compare the top city party destination in Europe, Berlin, to Ibiza. Sorry London people, if you think London is the top city party place you just don't know what you're talking about (I go to London about every month since 15 years so feel rather at home there).

+ Berlin has much more parties and clubs. It's common to have more than 100 different public parties in one day.
+ Berlin is much more relaxed on the bouncer front. Very much more on the police front. It's also safer overall and basically you don't have to worry about anything at all.
+ Berlin is much much cheaper. You can go around the city 24/7 for 2,10 euros with excellent public transport and club entrances are about 10 euros.
+ Berlin has more progressive and underground music. Yeah I know Morillo is good, but you only want to hear the same songs and mixes x times in a season.
+ Berlin is a super creative, funky, in-progress place
+ And, of course, in Berlin you can party 24 hrs a day no problem at all.

- Ibiza has better weather.
- Ibiza has better beaches (BTW Berlin has ok beaches as well)
- Ibiza has fancy, large clubs like Pacha or Amnesia
- Ibiza is more cosmopolitan (although Berlin is pretty cosmopolitan too)

There you go. For people who are mainly experienced with Ibiza-style commercial clubbing, I'd suggest a European trance festival in the woods. That should give you some perspective.

Also, this begs the question. What type of licenses do hotel bars have? Doesn't Es Vive have a bar that could be seen as an after hours type place? What about the Ibiza Rocks hotel? I've never been to either, but they market themselves as party hotels so I was curious if they had to follow the same closing/opening rules.....

Good point don, actually you make a lot of good points. I am one of those that just doesn't necessarily do JUST the clubs, I too like the hotels and bars and random music played everywhere i went helped make my holiday. I came for the music. So let's remember this is "Music Paradise", like that damn VH1 special called it, and it's true. And if you WERE to play music before 4:30......how loud can it be before you get fined???? Or is it that you just can't play music at all??? What about those secret hill parties where no one lives so the neighbors can't complain??? What is wrong with those if they are not hurting anyone??? Yes, there are alot of grey areas and questions. If they are going to do the no music before 4:30 it should be uniform to be fair, but hopefully not as that "random" music i was speaking of, is just what helps make Ibiza so special. It will be so interesting to see how this will play out.......

yes Berlin is on my list of places to go in the near future.Maybe do madrid and germany type of trip next.

Yes Ibiza is somewhat commercialized but the vibe is good and what you said above.Id like to hear more underground styles as well other than Minimal tracks and electro tracks one after another after another!Im getting sick of the bleeps and ticks with the big verbed out breakdowns.

Maybe ill catch more cheeky tidy stuff this yr.Wish driving techno was still popping off hard but it did need a break.Now its slowly gaining back my interests very much lately after these periods of minimal, electro mayhem .

As im aware of Berlin has a big minmal scene as well.Am i wrong?That and maybe hardstyle which is bit to much for me these days!

I think what he meant was does anyone know what bars,places this applies too.Not what areas! Id like to know as well.:eek:

Yes - 1st one, Bora Bora - will it be open before 4.30pm or not? I just can't get my head round why a bar can't open before 4.30pm if it is not playing music.......it's crazy.....

They hope that this will ensure clubbers have no other option than to return to their hotel or relax on the beach.

This is rubbish - lets say they kept it as 12 noon, this is 6 hours between closing / opening!! I know I would not wait for 6 hours and would go to bed and it's unlikely i'd be back out for 12noon.......

This is rubbish - lets say they kept it as 12 noon, this is 6 hours between closing / opening!! I know I would not wait for 6 hours and would go to bed and it's unlikely i'd be back out for 12noon.......

I think this will just force poeple to get drunk in bars instead!I know ill be hittin the bars before 4:30 FOR SURE.You can only let the sun fry your head so much before ya need a cold one.8)

What about those secret hill parties where no one lives so the neighbors can't complain??? What is wrong with those if they are not hurting anyone???
nothing..... but if the owner of the land finds you there you might hear a few shotgun blasts!! :lol:

oooh foooooook ! !
scared.gif

This will be my 4th year on the island and i can honestly say i have never been to Space/DC-10 or Bora Bora, i live for the clubbing at night, sleep in the day and get my head together in the evening - so no complaints from me this year with the line up so far! A question, DC-10 i have been looking to try, do they do anything in the evening?

Cheers

they had Superfreq on a wednesday and Pandemonium on a friday but both not in the same league as Circo Loco in full swing on a monday afternoon

and violence among ecstasy-fuelled youngsters

I stopped reading at that point. I instantly knew whoever wrote it had absolutely no idea what they were talking about.... People on ecstasy are too busy hugging and telling everyone they love them to fight...

Petrus

Ill agree the clubbing in Berlin is great but its all has an underground feel, I love the over the top commercial clubbing in Ibiza just because the clubs are so huge and outrageuos in every way. I also kinda like it when u get off the plane and all you can see is massive banners for club nights, makes you feel like you are where its happening.

For other clubbing cities try Barcelona especially in the summer where there are beach parties everywhere and the town Sitges just south of Barca. Its where the ORIGINAL pacha is just in case anyone wanted to know an interesting fact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back