World Cup 2010

As long as we don't get the same idiot referee in the final....the game might never end!:evil:
I disagree. I thought his timekeeping was perfect.

What I find less fair is when they announce 3 minutes of extra time and all 3 minutes are taken up by stoppages in play.

I understand your position, of course... Uruguay were pushing hard for an equalizer.

That Uzbek ref and his Uzbek & Kyrgyz sidekicks turned out to be one of the best refs of the whole tournament :!:

Still, given the Germans' demolition of England and Argentina, I'm still thinking all-Teutonic final.
Glad I was wrong! On that evidence, Spain are worthy finalists!

This was the Spain we'd been waiting to see all tournament. Firing on all cylinders. Brilliant football.

I've heard many a pundit say that tournament football is all about peaking at the right time. Germany had a great start (Serbian match aside) but Spain are peaking right on schedule.

And what a great final to look forward to! Two great attacking sides. Should be a spectacle 8)

cannot endorse Espa*a but am still chuffed for xavi, puyol & co - so close to the promised land now - how many players in history have won EVERYTHING there is to win?? missed the game alas due to getting caught in heavy traffic but catching up now - second half magic at times - all made in the Masia academy, of course. Spain should beat the Dutch although wesley schneider knows how to thwart some of those players.. where to watch it though. hmm.. bring on Sunday!

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad I was wrong! On that evidence, Spain are worthy finalists!

This was the Spain we'd been waiting to see all tournament. Firing on all cylinders. Brilliant football.

I've heard many a pundit say that tournament football is all about peaking at the right time. Germany had a great start (Serbian match aside) but Spain are peaking right on schedule.

And what a great final to look forward to! Two great attacking sides. Should be a spectacle 8)

Were you watching a different game to me? They were ok, but I wouldn't say they were worthy finalists. They were just like Arsenal, in the fact that they seemed scared to shoot, and always looked for one to many passes. And they were trying to play up the wings, only to cross the ball to 3 oompa lumpa's in the middle.

If Germany had actually tried to play it WOULD have been a different story. Spain would either have walked it 4-0 or ze Germans would have exploited what is, let's face it, a horrible defence.

Come on Holland!!!

Superb result :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

My little lad will soon be the proud owner of a Spain kit to replace his England one that he would not wear at football practice last week:D:D

I do hope that Spain win..........it will be great for the country as a whole and they play a more attractive style of football than the Dutch.

Nevertheless, Holland were once considered the "Brazil" of Europe and one of the best teams never to win a world cup.

Hopefully we will get an exciting final as the tournament needs one............

I do hope that Spain win..........it will be great for the country as a whole

That bit could be really important, potentially making a big difference to the recovery of their economy.

Was supposed to be a total de-tox weekend, but how can you cheer Spain to victory without a few San Miguels......

Were you watching a different game to me? They were ok, but I wouldn't say they were worthy finalists. They were just like Arsenal, in the fact that they seemed scared to shoot, and always looked for one to many passes. And they were trying to play up the wings, only to cross the ball to 3 oompa lumpa's in the middle.

If Germany had actually tried to play it WOULD have been a different story. Spain would either have walked it 4-0 or ze Germans would have exploited what is, let's face it, a horrible defence.

Come on Holland!!!

Maybe Germany didnt play because they weren't good enough?

The fact is Germany had great results in the last two rounds but it was against teams with great individuals, but awful discipline in midfield and I think very naive.

If Spain's defence is horrible, I'd like to see who you consider to be a good?

I, along with many spanish are not convinced with Del Bosques more conservative approach with 2 holding midfielders, I do think it makes us lose some cutting edge, but that doesnt take away the fact we still control most of the games we play and through tiring the opposition we usually always eventually find the breakthrough.

Olly, have you been to this place? www.camino.uk.com

we'll be there this sunday.. followed by a trip to Picadilly Circus till the early hours if all goes well 8)

Maybe Germany didnt play because they weren't good enough?
No, Germany is definitely good enough. Spain just played a lot better, held on to possession, and created chances (although Xabi Alonso sent a bunch of them wide :lol:) and really didn't let Germany into the game. Again, it was a great performance.

we still control most of the games we play and through tiring the opposition we usually always eventually find the breakthrough.
I don't think you controlled all your games. Possession does not always equal control. Last night, it certainly did. Germany looked harried. Spain ran the midfield. But against Paraguay and Switzerland I didn't think you looked in control even though you might have edged the possession numbers (and won in the former match).

Fly out there tomorrow!

Feeling quite Vamos Espana as my Spanish pals outnumber my Dutch ones.

Still need to get a ticket, so if anyone knows anyone... ;)

Come on Holland!!!

I don't where your getting the idea Spain were afraid to shoot. They had 5 shots on target and 10 off target compared to Germany's 2 on and 2 off.

They're passing success was better (87.6% compared to germanys 82%)

They're tackles success was better (90.9% compared to germanys 74.2%) which kind of show they defended better than Germany. I certainly thought the Spanish defence had improved a lot against germany than in previous games.

Best team on the night won. What Germany could have done counts for nothing. They were outclassed by a spanish side that found form at the right time.

Come on Holland!!!

what absolute cock.

spain were so much superior than germany it was painful.

I don't where your getting the idea Spain were afraid to shoot. They had 5 shots on target and 10 off target compared to Germany's 2 on and 2 off.

They're passing success was better (87.6% compared to germanys 82%)

They're tackles success was better (90.9% compared to germanys 74.2%) which kind of show they defended better than Germany. I certainly thought the Spanish defence had improved a lot against germany than in previous games.

Best team on the night won. What Germany could have done counts for nothing. They were outclassed by a spanish side that found form at the right time.

Amen

But against Paraguay and Switzerland I didn't think you looked in control even though you might have edged the possession numbers (and won in the former match).

I agree about Paraguay, (plus also with Chile in some parts), but I thought Switzerland we did look in control, just not fortunate enough to score.

I think the way to stop Spain is to mark man to man high up the pitch the minute Casillas gets the ball so he cant roll the ball out.. We struggle with that sort of pressure like Chile and Paraguay did in bits. not easy to do all game of course.

Can't see Holland doing that either.

Back