World Cup 2010

ESP 2 NED 1
Thats what I think

If Holland can frustrate Spain by holding them scoreless early they might dog it out to a 1-0 win or take them to extra time.

If Spain score first then it may be a 3-1 win to Spain..........

Just hope its a good Final.

highly doubt it'll be a good final i exxpect a boring first 60 minutes , could end up one nil by someone nicking a set piece or the likes .
theres too much pressure for it to be an open game i think

Ibiza....you may now officially go mental!....(yes more mental than usual!)

Well done Spain .

Final

Good job Espana

This was a ugly match. DeJong should have gotten a red card :twisted::twisted::twisted:for the Kung Fu kick. Sorry Dutch, but the better side one the match. The keepers on both sides played well. The sides both had chances to win and missed most of them. Great job for South Africa what a great world cup they put on. What will all the nay sayers who predicted doom and gloom say now??:spank:

blimey! what a night at the Griffin - fab evening in there

imo, Spain won the world cup against a trully disgraceful dutch side and in spite of the dreadful howard webb (since when did brutal kung fu assaults on the field of play merit a mere yellow card?)

Iniesta deserved that goal - an outstanding ambassador for the game and a wonderful side, for the main part MADE IN BARCELONA (I had to get that bit in)

I thought it was an intriguing if not riveting game - but in the end justice was done. Sad that dutch total football has been consigned to the museum.

@ English FA - take the blinkers off, study the Spanish system AND LEARN - or remain in the technical dark ages forever....

Last edited by a moderator:
Iniesta deserved that goal - an outstanding ambassador for the game

Hold on, as much as he is a fantastic footballer, he let himself right down tonight by leaving legs hanging and looking for free kicks when he could have clearly ran on with the ball... this is not football

Amazing player, one of the best, but let himself down tonight

in spite of the dreadful howard webb (since when did brutal kung fu assaults on the field of play merit a mere yellow card?)
Disagree. I thought he did his best to control a match which, thanks mostly to the Dutch, was damn near impossible to control.

My friends and I debated that particular foul and the consensus was that Webb probably saw the player (De Jong?) going for the ball and charged him with 'dangerous play' which is usually a yellow card, as opposed to 'violent conduct' which is a red. Compare with cases when a high kick makes contact with an opposing player's leg or head when going for the ball. Perhaps a wrong decision, but not completely illogical.

His one major mistake was not awarding the Dutch a corner after the free kick that Fabregas deflected out (when the Spanish came right back and scored)
Trevor from Slough said:
Hold on, as much as he is a fantastic footballer, he let himself right down tonight by leaving legs hanging and looking for free kicks when he could have clearly ran on with the ball... this is not football

Amazing player, one of the best, but let himself down tonight
Agree with Trevor here. I felt he dove under minimal contact for those last two fouls, both of which resulted in yellow cards (and one of those, a sending off). I was disappointed that the winning goal, which Spain surely deserved, was his. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

But I think we can all agree that the Dutch were out to break some bones and half the team were lucky not to get sent off. Even the coach said it wasn't their normal style of play because they were up against a better side. The missus and I were joking that it was like watching Blackburn or Stoke play Arsenal :lol:

what????? the ref had a DIRE game

there were players out there who could've sustained serious injuries

how was van bommel allowed to remain on the pitch????

and de jong was more than dangerous play - that was a deliberate assault, for which he should actually be tried in a court of law

if learning of his howlers at halftime, the ref tried to even out a few decisions late on in the game, then you have to see those decisions in the context of the first half.

I went into the game thinking Spain would win but the old romantic heart strings were pulling for the Dutch as underdogs.

Agree that both sides made the game difficult for HW; Grown men? Hardly...

On the night, only Robben looked likely to do something on the break for Holland and Spain deserved the win when they decided to stay on their feet and start playing.

All in all, not a great advert for the game though...

Oh, and Iker Casillas needs to man up and stop bloody crying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree that both sides made the game difficult for HW; Grown men? Hardly...

On the night, only Robben looked likely to do something on the break for Holland and Spain deserved the win when they decided to stay on their feet and start playing.

All in all, not a great advert for the game though...
The missus came up with a phrase last night that summed up the game well:
It was a battle between simulators and bonebreakers
(disclaimer: sounds much funnier in Russian!)

I didn't see much simulating going on - even busquets who has 'form' was pretty disciplined. What I did see was a Dutch side not fit to hold the same passport as Krol, Neeskens, Cruyff, Bergkamp...

really sad that the dutch have joined the anti-football brigade - Mourinho would be proud...

LMAO @ Olly.

Alonso was lucky he didn't get booked for getting in the way of De Jongs foot with it being a UK ref!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ebDopBdmig

What an utterly boring World Cup final. Sorry don't get all this Spanish play exciting football hysteria - yes they do keep posession well but it was a thoroughly boring game for the neutral.

'playing the ball' De Jong stylee

1278875sdsdrshg.gif

Congratulations to all the people of Spain. Im gutted I was not in Ibiza to be part of the celebrations:cry:

Nobody can say that they didnt deserve to win the tournament.

What I liked was the way they kept attacking untill they got the goal. Previous Spanish teams have buckled under pressure but this team was different, style and substance.

With that monkey off their back, expect to see Spain competing in finals more often.

what????? the ref had a DIRE game

there were players out there who could've sustained serious injuries

QUOTE]

Disagree. I think despite what was put in front of him he managed quite well. He was on a hiding to nothing anyway, because had he, quite rightly sent two dutch players off in the first half, he would have been accused of ruining the final, so what could he do. As Morbs says he was positioned behind alonso for the de jong foul so wont have seen it properly. He probably knows now he should have sent him off however at the time I think he wanted to try and keep it 11 a side and you cant blame him for that. Yes spain started to dive a little towards the end, but the dutch had spent most of the game kicking lumps out of them so you can forgive them for that a little.

all up probably not a game for joe public, but for those that know their footy it was a fascinating and compelling encounter won by a fantastic piece of finishing by one of the worlds greatest!!

Back