World Cup 2010

Im Irish, so it might as well be called the "most unattainable object in the Universe cup" as we are never going to get our hands on it

About an equal chance as Engerland then:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yet the bizare thing is England will start Euro 20xx as third or fourth favourites, ditto the world cup:lol::lol::lol:

greedy, you had it in 94 ffs, give someone else a go, if we get it in 2018 as we should then I reckon the aussies in 2022.
Italy, France, Mexico, Germany and (by then) Brazil have all had it twice, so why not us!?

Big modern stadiums, easy travel between cities, and most importantly (for FIFA) sure to turn a big profit.

Russia will beat you for 2018 :p

Italy, France, Mexico, Germany and (by then) Brazil have all had it twice, so why not us!?

Big modern stadiums, easy travel between cities, and most importantly (for FIFA) sure to turn a big profit.

Russia will beat you for 2018 :p

There is a big push push to get the world cup here again. With different cities that have football/soccer only stadiums bidding to host games. The infrastructure is in place bring on the games.

When are you guys going to start playing cricket-ball? England will whoop yer asses :lol::lol::lol:

Cricket sorry but it bores me to tears on tele, but it was a good afternoon live. I understand the rules for the most part but still don't enjoy it. I had plenty of British friends who tried to get me to like it. They failed

Cricket sorry but it bores me to tears on tele, but it was a good afternoon live. I understand the rules for the most part but still don't enjoy it. I had plenty of British friends who tried to get me to like it. They failed

Over here in Ireland we call it Protestant Hurling :)

F***K YESSSSSS!!!!!!!

Just about coming back to earth after 2 days in the clouds.

A night I will never EVER forget, surrounded by thousands of spanish in trafalgar square, it was absolutely rammed until the early hours of Monday when the police started to move in to move us on. We only ended up in a spanish bar by tottenham ct road drinking even more until gone 4am..

THANK YOU INIESTAA.. he is now immortal.

In terms of the football and the discussions held above I actually don't care anymore.
In response to Dan's comments, I respect you mate, but you know what, last world cup we smashed our way through the group stages with 9 goals in 3 games then got knocked out by France...

As for richer nations not caring about the world cup, not sure where i've been the last 2 weeks but the press here is still trying to find someone to blame.. same goes for Brazil, Italy, Argentina etc..

Anyway, to grego and all the other "roja simpatizantes".. congratulations and "que nos quiten lo bailado" :D:D:D

ps: Some Arsenal fans need to lighten up.. All I've been reading here in the forums is them not happy woth Reina, Pique and Puyol etc for the shirt thing in Madrid.. it was a JOKE!!

For those that enjoy stats (like we Americans :lol:), these numbers from FIFA:

volunteers, the oldest of whom was 80 years old, played a huge role in the success of Africa's first-ever FIFA World Cup.

passes were attempted by Xavi during the tournament, 104 more than his nearest challenger, Bastian Schweinsteiger. Xavi also delivered the second-highest number of crosses with 42, with only Diego Forlan (50) attempting more.

fouls were committed at South Africa 2010, down significantly on Germany 2006's tally of 346. A consequence of this was that dismissals were also greatly reduced, with just 17 red cards compared to 26 four years ago.

goals were scored at South Africa 2010, the lowest of any FIFA World Cup since the tournament switched to a 64-game format. Indeed, the current edition continues a downward trend in this respect since the first 64-game finals were held 12 years ago, with France 1998's total of 171 goals dwindling to 161 at Korea/Japan 2002 and then to 147 at Germany 2006.

minutes was the time at which Andres Iniesta struck against the Netherlands, making his dramatic winner the latest-ever winning goal in a FIFA World Cup Final.

years and 330 days old, David James was the most senior player of this FIFA World Cup. Holding the dual title of oldest outfield player and oldest goalscorer was Mexico's Cuauhtemoc Blanco (37-156). Christian Eriksen was South Africa 2010's youngest player at 18 years and 120 days old.

solo runs established Spain's Sergio Ramos as the tournament's most prolific dribbler, ahead of more likely candidates such as Lukas Podolski (27), Andres Iniesta (26), David Villa and Lionel Messi (both 25).

goals at Green Point Stadium made the Cape Town arena the highest-scoring of South Africa's ten venues. Johannesburg's Soccer City ranked second with 20.

players were used by Germany during the tournament – the most of any team. Slovenia, New Zealand and Korea DPR, by contrast, fielded just 15.

fouls made Japan's Keisuke Honda an unlikely leader of the competition's crime count. Finalists Sergio Ramos and Mark van Bommel followed closely behind on 17.

FIFA World Cup goals was the landmark reached by Miroslav Klose, leaving the Germany striker one behind record-holder Ronaldo but nonetheless in joint-second place with Gerd Muller.

yellow and red cards were handed out in a fiery Final between the Netherlands and Spain, more than doubling the previous record for this fixture, set when Argentina and West Germany shared six cards in 1986.

goals were scored by Bayern Munich players during South Africa 2010, making the Bavarian giants the best-represented club in the scoring charts. Bayern's European conquerors, Inter Milan, were next-highest on nine, while Atletico Madrid players accounted for eight. The Spanish league dominated overall, with 29 goals to 21 for the Bundesliga, 12 for the English Premier League and 16 for Serie A.

hours and 19 minutes without conceding enabled Switzerland to set a new FIFA World Cup record. The Helvetians surpassed Italy's previous record of 550 minutes.

teams have now won the FIFA World Cup after Spain joined this elite club. La Roja became the first team to win the global showpiece having lost their opening game, and the first from Europe to lift the Trophy outside their own continent.

FIFA World Cups as coach was the new benchmark set by Carlos Alberto Parreira, who in taking charge of his fifth team at the global showpiece, also broke the record of four he previously shared with Bora Milutinovic.

European teams reached the last 16 at South Africa 2010 and only three made it to the quarter-finals - an all-time low for the Old Continent. Nonetheless, while five South American representatives reached the knockout stage – four as group winners – the Final was once again an all-European affair.

million fans attended South Africa 2010's 64 matches, just short of the FIFA World Cup record set when 3.59 million clicked through the turnstiles at USA 1994.

players – David Villa, Andres Iniesta and Carles Puyol – accounted for Spain's entire haul of goals at South Africa 2010. Previously, no team had ever won the FIFA World Cup with fewer than four different goalscorers. La Roja's overall tally of eight was the lowest of any world champions in history.

siblings in one squad was another first for South Africa 2010, with Jerry, Jhony and Wilson Palacios making history thanks to their inclusion in Honduras' 23-man list.

assists were racked up by Kaka, Thomas Muller, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Dirk Kuyt and Mesut Ozil, establishing this quintet as the competition's most effective creators.

of the previous FIFA World Cup's finalists failing to reach the second round had only ever been seen once before - in 1966, when Czechoslovakia failed to qualify and Brazil fell at the first hurdle.

draws and a defeat from three group games made Italy's performance in South Africa their worst-ever FIFA World Cup showing. Never before had they failed to win a single match, or finished bottom of their group. Marcello Lippi's side remain winless in 2010.

minutes and 39 seconds was the time at which Thomas Muller scored the tournament's fastest goal in Germany's 4-0 win over Argentina.

team finished the tournament unbeaten: New Zealand. That unlikely statistic was sealed when the Netherlands' 14-match winning streak in the FIFA World Cup qualifiers and tournament proper came to an end in the Final.

Fifa 2010 World Cup standings:

1 Spain, 2 Netherlands, 3 Germany, 4 Uruguay, 5 Argentina, 6 Brazil, 7 Ghana, 8 Paraguay

9 Japan, 10 Chile, 11 Portugal, 12 United States, 13 England, 14 Mexico, 15 South Korea, 16 Slovakia

17 Ivory Coast, 18 Slovenia, 19 Switzerland, 20 South Africa, 21 Australia, 22 New Zealand, 23 Serbia, 24 Denmark

25 Greece, 26 Italy, 27 Nigeria, 28 Algeria, 29 France, 30 Honduras, 31 Cameroon, 32 North Korea

** 3 numbers stood out - very high attendance (who cares if there were empty hospitality seats!), only 2 less goals scored than in Germany (were those games "boring" too?), and the USA finished better than England :p

There's no avoiding it.....England now face the prospect of a "ground up" rebuild...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8825280.stm

Emile Heskey retires from international football

England striker Emile Heskey has announced his retirement from international football.
The 32-year-old was part of England manager Fabio Capello's much-criticised squad that exited the World Cup in South Africa in the second round.
Heskey made his England debut against Hungary on 28 April, 1999 and earned 62 caps, scoring seven goals.
"I have enjoyed every moment of my England career and worn the shirt with pride," the Aston Villa forward said.
"I would like to thank every manager I have played under, everyone at the FA and the fans for all their support over the years.
"I wish the management team and the playing squad all the best for the future."
Heskey was also part of the England squad at the 2002 World Cup as well as at the 2000 and 2004 European Championships.
He started every game at the 2002 World Cup in Japan and South Korea and grabbed a goal in the second round against Denmark before England were eliminated at the quarter-final stage by Brazil.
Heskey made one substitute appearance during Euro 2004, at which England were beaten on penalties by Portugal in the last eight.
The former Leicester, Liverpool and Wigan forward then spent three years out of the international set-up before being recalled by Steve McClaren for the national side's unsuccessful Euro 2008 qualifying campaign.
In South Africa, Heskey failed to score after starting against the United States and Algeria before coming on as a substitute against Slovenia and Germany.
Heskey had gone into the 2010 World Cup on the back of a frustrating season for Villa as he struggled for first-team football.
However, he had been a regular starter during the qualifying campaign and Capello kept faith in him in South Africa as he paired Heskey with Wayne Rooney in attack.
Heskey divided opinion with his inclusion in Capello's first XI, with critics arguing his strengths as a target man were not matched by his finishing ability in front of goal.
And, despite teeing up Steven Gerrard for the opener in the 1-1 draw against the US, he failed to take a late chance to win the match.
His final appearance came in the 4-1 defeat by Germany, coming on 19 minutes from time with England already trailing by three goals.

I watched the quarter finals, semi finals and the Final in San An. Last Sunday was my birthday and watching the crowds go utterly mental at the big screen near the fountains in San An will stay with me forever :D

F***K YESSSSSS!!!!!!!

Just about coming back to earth after 2 days in the clouds.

A night I will never EVER forget, surrounded by thousands of spanish in trafalgar square, it was absolutely rammed until the early hours of Monday when the police started to move in to move us on. We only ended up in a spanish bar by tottenham ct road drinking even more until gone 4am..

THANK YOU INIESTAA.. he is now immortal.

In terms of the football and the discussions held above I actually don't care anymore.
In response to Dan's comments, I respect you mate, but you know what, last world cup we smashed our way through the group stages with 9 goals in 3 games then got knocked out by France...

As for richer nations not caring about the world cup, not sure where i've been the last 2 weeks but the press here is still trying to find someone to blame.. same goes for Brazil, Italy, Argentina etc..

Anyway, to grego and all the other "roja simpatizantes".. congratulations and "que nos quiten lo bailado" :D:D:D

ps: Some Arsenal fans need to lighten up.. All I've been reading here in the forums is them not happy woth Reina, Pique and Puyol etc for the shirt thing in Madrid.. it was a JOKE!!

Great stuff mate, glad to hear you enjoyed it :D (Was slightly pulling your leg about the Spanish tactics ;) )

John - I didn't go to the final...In some weird expression of my odd moral compass, a ticket that I took up would have prevented a spaniard/dutch from going - I watched in one of the fan parks near Sandton (blaggedf the VIP section - free bar!), which was was an ace atmosphere :D

John - I didn't go to the final...In some weird expression of my odd moral compass, a ticket that I took up would have prevented a spaniard/dutch from going - I watched in one of the fan parks near Sandton (blaggedf the VIP section - free bar!), which was was an ace atmosphere :D
It's the friggin' World Cup! Screw the Spaniards & Dutch! :lol:

Best game I went to atmosphere-wise was probably Brazil v Cote d'Ivoire. Brazilians all around me were going nuts. They didn't mind a neutral nearby as long as I didn't support the Ivoirians :lol:

I drove by that Sandton fan zone a hundred times. Stayed about 5 minutes from there. Looked like fun when it was full but the one afternoon I wanted to watch a match there it was empty! Only filled up for the evening matches. :cry:

8)

Karma in action :D

It's the friggin' World Cup! Screw the Spaniards & Dutch! :lol:

:lol: tbh I was in a hunt for atmosphere too, and as it was my second day I preferred to spend it surrounded by the locals going utterly bonkers rather than the image I had in my head of the connected elite politely clapping the goals and angling for an audience with President Blatter.

Plus I'd have to deal with one of Grego's tout chums to get one ;)

(don't get me wrong, if one comes up in 4 years time I shall bite their hand off!)

I drove by that Sandton fan zone a hundred times. Stayed about 5 minutes from there. Looked like fun when it was full but the one afternoon I wanted to watch a match there it was empty! Only filled up for the evening matches. :cry:

For the record, thanks a bloody bunch for telling me how friggin cold it is out here! My one pair of jeans haven't left my legs all trip! :spank::lol:

Back