World Cup 2010

THANKYOU Matt. +1

i don't think i've heard exciting too much as an adjective. everything else though.

for me it's just football being played the way it should be, so by definition nothing so exciting or groundbreaking.

sure ronaldo lollipopping is prob more exciting but i find it far more fascinating watching the way xavi beats people without even moving or by just delaying a pass by a second.

when iniesta, xavi and cesc start bouncing passes off each other, even though it looks so simple, to me that is exciting.

just good football values at the core.......privilege to watch.

great atmosphere here last night

but i find it far more fascinating watching the way xavi beats people without even moving or by just delaying a pass by a second
when iniesta, xavi, silva and cesc start bouncing passes off each other, even though it looks so simple, to me that is exciting.

just good football values at the core.......privilege to watch

have to say couldnt agree more!!!

Glad spain won but to be fair it was a pretty dire tournament.

Gotta feel for the dutch for not being awarded that corner that clearly came off the wall then got a touch from casillas as well.

Thems the breaks though and as soon as they went to 10 men you knew spain would nip it. Penalties woulda been good though.

Glad spain won but to be fair it was a pretty dire tournament.
I've read a few hints by sportswriters at this being a dire tournament and I'm trying to figure out where that comes from.

Is it because some of the European teams didn't do so well? Like England, France, Italy and the like? I have a feeling that colors some of the writing and pundits' perceptions.

I thought it was a fascinating tournament. The rise of the USA and Ghana and even smaller teams like Slovakia and the undefeated New Zealand. Uruguay, despite my distaste for their victory over a deserving Ghana, was a great story as well.

Germany's young team showed some great promise and were actually quite entertaining in crushing Australia, England and Argentina. It's them against the Spanish in the next Euros.

Holland's return and Spain's ascension to the finals is also a great story.

Maybe it's because I was there... I didn't take the opportunity to attend matches back home in '94 (the only stadium nearby where I lived in Boston at the time was Foxboro and that was a trek for a student) but watched on TV in crowded bars and that was fun enough.

But going to the World Cup, the first one in Africa, a historic moment, well organized, the nation entirely behind it... it endeared this tournament to me and the criticism just seems misplaced.

Last edited by a moderator:
it was a trully awful tournament (not on the 1990 scale but still...)

the whole point of the world cup is that it is supposed to be fun, it is supposed to indulge your football fantasies, that it is steeped in history, that it introduces footballers to the world with freaky haircuts and eccentric moves and who you've never heard of and you will never hear of again.

but everyone has wised up, everyone knows each other, everyone knows how to stop everyone else - the innocence is long gone and the number of countries who entertain, you can count on the fingers of one disfigured hand

cynicism 1 football 0

thank god therefore for Spain, Argentina, Ghana for still entertaining and providing raw emotion, which ultimately what it is all about

but the golden days 1970-82 have never seemed so long ago...

Thank god therefore for Spain, Argentina, Ghana for still entertaining and providing raw emotion, which ultimately what it is all about
...USA, Holland (before the final), Uruguay, Mexico, Slovakia, even South Africa and South Korea at times...

Ya, there not the countries you Brits fancy, but they did well and had some exciting matches.

that it introduces footballers to the world with freaky haircuts and eccentric moves and who you've never heard of and you will never hear of again.
Japan's Honda, Mexico's Dos Santos, Germany's Mueller, Ghana's Andre Ayew
I'm sure there are others...
Maybe not freaky hairstyles (aside from Honda), but certainly not household names before (hopefully) now.

I've read a few hints by sportswriters at this being a dire tournament and I'm trying to figure out where that comes from.

Is it because some of the European teams didn't do so well? Like England, France, Italy and the like? I have a feeling that colors some of the writing and pundits' perceptions.

Nah, i couldn't care what teams do well. I just expected to see some better football being played. There was a serious lack of goals in this tournament and the final summed that up nicely with a the only goal of the game being scored with 3 mins to go in extra time.

There weren't many games that grabbed my attention enough. Found myself bored watching most of them.

...USA, Holland (before the final), Uruguay, Mexico, Slovakia, even South Africa and South Korea at times...

Ya, there not the countries you Brits fancy, but they did well and had some exciting matches.

Japan's Honda, Mexico's Dos Santos, Germany's Mueller, Ghana's Andre Ayew
I'm sure there are others...
Maybe not freaky hairstyles (aside from Honda), but certainly not household names before (hopefully) now.

can I ask when you first started following the world cup? Because if like me, you grew up idolising Zico, Valderrama, Maradona, Platini, Tardelli, Doctor Socrates, Gullit, Falcao, Hoddle, Higuita, Hugo Sanchez, Van Basten... then you will understand what I am getting at

it's now all about well-drilled automatons following coaching drillbooks to the letter, where's the fantasy? where are the individal WTF moments? I love xavi, iniesta, forlan, kaka - all fab players but all team players, the world cup for me though was always about the renegades and the maverick geniuses and that has sadly been lost. Ronaldinho got left at home and that for me sums it all up...

World cup

Yours comments remind me of all the people who say house music is dead(@ Olly). If you look at the Germans this cup they were attacking when they have been a machine in the past. Football/soccer is not going to stay the same forever. This was not the worst football in a world cup nor the best. Every cup you have new stars, divers, actors, bone crushers, and mistakes by ref's. That is football and I love every minute of it. What else brings the world together every four years? The yanks here in USA even got into and they are looking forward to Brazil in 3 years 364 days. Great job South Africa and i look forward to the show that Brazil will put on.

perish the thought of it becoming a global game and the minnows turning up to have a shot at winning some games as opposed to turning up just to make up the numbers. Football has inevitably moved on. I wish a lot of things were like they were when I was a kid, but alas they're not.

perish the thought of it becoming a global game and the minnows turning up to have a shot at winning some games as opposed to turning up just to make up the numbers. Football has inevitably moved on. I wish a lot of things were like they were when I was a kid, but alas they're not.
Exactly!

Good summary of the event by David Bond on BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/davidbond/2010/07/2010_world_cup_johannesburg_as.html

The verdict: overall, the tournament exceeded all expectations, from an organizational and atmosphere point of view.

As for the question of quality of play, Olly, he put it this way:
A more considered explanation comes from greater footballing experts than this correspondent who say this has been the tournament of the team rather than the individual. Coaches like Vicente del Bosque, who sacrifices individual ego for the sake of the greater cause, and Oscar Tabarez of Uruguay have shown what organisation and discipline can achieve.
Although I still think there were some standout individual performances (see my post above)... just not from the people everyone expected.

I'm not sure I subscribe to this mentality that the Spanish are doing something amazing...Pass the ball around for 90 minutes and grind the opposition down such that they'll succumb to the eventual goal? Sparcelona types make out like every time Casillas rolls the ball to Poyul in 90 seconds time Alberta's going to stonk it across the goal, though 9 times out of 10 it ends with a long range effort (as the opposition has got time to re-group) unless a deft flick or piece of skill that results in a decent chance.

Of course it helps if you build up a culture of fear about actual tackling and have supposed Superstars looking like sniper fodder, then it merely helps the cause.

No team that wins so many 1-0's can ever be considered legendary. Effective maybe, but perhaps the best of a particularly underperforming bunch.

The fact very few of the richer nations care much for their national side, and that the Spain guys play together every week won them the tournament IMO.

I thought it was a great World Cup. Great because it was different. Maybe outstanding football performances and memories took a back stage to a new cultural experience for many. I see enough of Europe and their fans during the seasons, so I always welcome the input of the non-euro nations. It's also been great for SA, which can't be underestimated.

I just long for the days when we're plucky underdogs rather than genuine contenders. Our team has been the biggest disappointment by far. That, and the sheer corporate (untery of Fifa, but what can you do :lol:

How was the final, Dan? Did you get tickets?
Atmosphere down there was amazing, wasn't it? Were you staying in Sandton?

No team that wins so many 1-0's can ever be considered legendary. Effective maybe, but perhaps the best of a particularly underperforming bunch.

The fact very few of the richer nations care much for their national side, and that the Spain guys play together every week won them the tournament IMO. :lol:

Thats the way the modern game is being played at present 1-0's wins are commonplace due to the mourinho school of thinking which seems to yeilds results. Which would a team prefer, to win ugly or loose flamboyantly??

Spain went out to win the World Cup and they succeeded where other teams failed. How could they be expected to play football with the tough "play the man not the ball" tactics that Holland employed against them in the Final?

They won the Tournament simply because they were the best team, and they have the Jules Rimet to prove it.....which at the end of the day, is what its all about.

and they have the Jules Rimet to prove it.....which at the end of the day, is what its all about.

No, sorry, Brazil have the Jules Rimet to keep after winning for the 3rd time in 1970, the trophy Spain have was the replacement first used in 1974, designed by some Italian I think whose name escpapes me. ;)

No, sorry, Brazil have the Jules Rimet to keep after winning for the 3rd time in 1970, the trophy Spain have was the replacement first used in 1974, designed by some Italian I think whose name escpapes me. ;)

There you go.........showing my age and factual intellect again

There you go.........showing my age and factual intellect again

easy mistake to make as it was the Jules Rimet when England won it for the one and only time in history and it will continue to be so for many years to come :lol:

easy mistake to make as it was the Jules Rimet when England won it for the one and only time in history and it will continue to be so for many years to come :lol:

Im Irish, so it might as well be called the "most unattainable object in the Universe cup" as we are never going to get our hands on it

Back