Women in dance music...discuss!

https://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=39316

More bad shit going down...difficult to believe in this day and age that people hold such views...

A few of my friends are discussing this on Facebook this morning, quite the heated debate! Before jumping on any bandwagon I'm sceptical of how much was actually said / what context etc as often interviews can be misinterpreted or misquoted (being devils advocate)!
I'll also throw my own tuppence in, which isn't specific to DJs it goes for ANY job...it would be ideal if all jobs were based on merit (good vs average or shit!) however our society / the world doesn't work this way. I work in a heavily male dominated environment, which over years significant efforts have gone in to increasing our female employee population but what bugs me is targets being set for this, it should (and I'm vocal about it when asked) be on merit. If boy A is more skilled for a job than Girl B then boy A should get the job or vice Versa if girl B was more skilled... simple as.

A few of my friends are discussing this on Facebook this morning, quite the heated debate! Before jumping on any bandwagon I'm sceptical of how much was actually said / what context etc as often interviews can be misinterpreted or misquoted (being devils advocate)!

Hmm yeah I don't know...when you are doing an interview why would you put yourself in danger of being misinterpreted? The fact that the others have also now acknowledged his views and distanced themselves from it all as well speaks volumes.

I saw Konstantin DJ at DC10 Ibiza last summer and he was distinctly meh. Same trip, I also saw The Black Madonna, Moxie, Heidi, Monki, Annie Mac, Kim Ann Foxman, Nicole Moudaber, Clara Da Costa and Tania Vulcano. All of whom were far better than Konstantin.

People constantly over think these things. It's like everything else in life, it's a numbers game.

You could be technically the greatest DJ in the world (male or female) but if you are playing to 7 people in a pub then you are use to nobody.

Someone thinks that your name will help them sell 5,000 tickets? Doesn't matter if you play alarm sounds for a couple of hours, money is in the bank.

Same argument for Paris Hilton, I couldn't mix pancake batter but I'm a better DJ than her but my name doesn't sell out a room at Amnesia.......

People constantly over think these things. It's like everything else in life, it's a numbers game.

You could be technically the greatest DJ in the world (male or female) but if you are playing to 7 people in a pub then you are use to nobody.

Someone thinks that your name will help them sell 5,000 tickets? Doesn't matter if you play alarm sounds for a couple of hours, money is in the bank.

Same argument for Paris Hilton, I couldn't mix pancake batter but I'm a better DJ than her but my name doesn't sell out a room at Amnesia.......

i realy have to try to not get too upset,,,,,,but i still will, i am not a hater, but crap like that makes me bloody upset:

Foam & Diamonds hosted by Paris Hilton in the Main Room
From July 2nd, the most enjoyable party on the world's most exciting island will be unforgettable, as the fabulous night hosted by Paris Hilton in Amnesia celebrates its fifth anniversary. A memorable event that Paris Hilton will share with the public and her fans in style.

“I can’t believe it's been five years. Foam & Diamonds is one of the most incredible projects that I’ve worked on in my musical career. Get ready for an exciting summer in the best club in the world. See you at Amnesia to celebrate the fifth anniversary of my party in Ibiza!” - Paris Hilton.

Commercial dance music, live performances, foam, a high doses of spectacular shows and sophistication, all in Paris Hilton style. Every Sunday from July 2nd in Amnesia's Main Room:Foam & Diamonds hosted by Paris Hilton.

Foam&Diamonds

Precio online: 50€*
Door price: 60€

MAIN ROOM:
PARIS HILTON

TERRACE:
BRIAN CROSS
NICKY ROMERO
QUINTINO
W&W
YVES V
DJ NANO

recent essential mix from Glasto had Topping/Richy Ahmed, Peggy Gou and Jackmaster all play an hour each. Peggy Gou's hour was the best. Just saying

It's clearly an issue for you too,But for different reasons? We'll try not to delve into them on this thread.

This is the women in dance music thread. Clearly an issue for some posters on spotlight?

It's no issue for me Joe, facts are facts though. All the big nights are male dominated. People would just rather see a male DJ than a female one. Don't ask me why but that's the way it is.

surely it's 'listen to' not 'see' ? and maybe it's the promoters that are responsible for who gets put on the bill ?

surely it's 'listen to' not 'see' ? and maybe it's the promoters that are responsible for who gets put on the bill ?

I think most people would say to their pal "I'm going to see Carl Cox tonight", doubt many say "I'm going to listen to Carl Cox tonight". Unless you wear a blindfold when you are out and if you do then I stand corrected.

Of course it is promoters. Promoters want as many people through the door as possible and regardless of whether it is right or wrong, male DJ's pull bigger numbers than female ones. It's a fact.

hmm, based on your initial comment, that appears to be edited in your post above, I think you might just part of the problem, rather than the solution

"Doubt we'll see her in the 2am slot at DC any time soon though.
Why as a promoter would you take a chance on a relatively unknown female"

Back