Women in dance music...discuss!

Also disappointing to see a major opening party line-up with not a single female DJ playing.

Good point. No MJC or Kitten.

I stand corrected but this line up looks very much like 2013 or 2014. We'll I think P Kalkbrenner headlined the opening one of those years.

It shouldnt matter if the lineup is all male, all female, or mixed. Good music is good music.
Why should a DJ be put on the lineup just because of their gender.

If you gave carl cox and Paris Hilton the same 30 records to play,I know who id want to go see.... Paris by a mile..

Decent women are overlooked in favour of average or poor men in just about everything. Its the patriarchal society in which we live.
I agree but I also believe this is partly the punters fault and not just the clubs, there are less extremely popular female DJs than male ones so when you are booking a line up for your opening night there are probably 10 well know male DJs to every 1 female who can pull the same crowds.

Over the course of the season I'm sure Hi/Ushuaiai will put a lot of female DJs on there stage so they should not feel forced to have to put them in there opening nights just for the sake of them being female, I'm sure any female DJ would feel that is more disrespectful than not picking them at all. And I'm not in any way saying female DJs should not be picked as I do think it would be great but I don't think a club should feel pressured into it just because they are female.

Last edited:
Over the course of the season I'm sure Hi/Ushuaiai will put a lot of female DJs on there stage so they should not feel forced to have to put them in there opening nights just for the sake of them being female, I'm sure any female DJ would feel that is more disrespectful than not picking them at all. And I'm not in any way saying female DJs should not be picked as I do think it would be great but I don't think a club should feel pressured into it just because they are female.

There are so many more female DJs I would like to see compared with the names currently on the line-up.

I don't think most punters really care about a DJ's gender as long as they're a good DJ, so the promoters really should try to make it less of a bro-fest.

I did wright a proper post out,then deleted it. Because again, this is standard nonsense.. and I'm busy.

I did wright a proper post out,then deleted it. Because again, this is standard nonsense.. and I'm busy.
How is what I am saying nonsense? What I have said in short is - Female DJs will play Ushuaiai and Hi over the season (correct) I have agreed that female DJs should not be overlooked but all my point is is they should not feel they have to pick a female just because they are female? But considering the amount of male to female DJs there actually are line ups will always be predominantly male, again a fact.

How is what I am saying nonsense? What I have said in short is - Female DJs will play Ushuaiai and Hi over the season (correct) I have agreed that female DJs should not be overlooked but all my point is is they should not feel they have to pick a female just because they are female? But considering the amount of male to female DJs there actually are line ups will always be predominantly male, again a fact.

He doesn't read properly
He just see's that you have disagreed and put a spin on what he has said and takes offence

There are so many more female DJs I would like to see compared with the names currently on the line-up.

I don't think most punters really care about a DJ's gender as long as they're a good DJ, so the promoters really should try to make it less of a bro-fest.
I agree with you! I'm not for one minute saying I don't want to see female Djs on the line up. There are so many I still havnt seen and would love to see on that line up but all I'm saying is there are many more many DJ names who are well know to the masses that are male. As you said punters don't know if half the time whether DJs are male or female they just know there DJ name. You as someone who probably knows a lot about music will know who's who and what styles they play and so on just like me but there are a lot of people that HI/Ushauai will attach who no nothing more than the name on the line up

my girlfriend was taking the piss out of me recently for being a bit 'autistic' when it comes to music and we got on to whether women are inherently less nerdy than men OR whether men are just more vocal about it. I think it was because for years record shops, lists, tech etc seemed like an ultra-blokey obsession and messageboards (this one too at times...) were pretty much exclusively male. But there have always been girl nerds in music engineers, producers who just don't get publicised - and the new wave of underground female DJs coming through is a really good thing imo because it is more about music and less about ego but the big clubs are still playing catch up

Back