Who are you voting for ???

Lib Dems policy on immigration, localising it seems a bit weird & stalinst almost.

nah, he was saying he'd only want to let immigrants into areas where they are required. makes sense rather than having them sitting about doing nothin in some high rise in springburn (north Glasgow) because there's no recuirement for them in that area. This tie's in with the poilcy of only allowing skilled workers to enter the country. No point having someone with skill living in an area that doens't need him/her.

How he'd intend to police the work movements of an immagrant I'm not sure.

nah, he was saying he'd only want to let immigrants into areas where they are required. makes sense rather than having them sitting about doing nothin in some high rise in springburn (north Glasgow) because there's no recuirement for them in that area. This tie's in with the poilcy of only allowing skilled workers to enter the country. No point having someone with skill living in an area that doens't need him/her.

How he'd intend to police the work movements of an immagrant I'm not sure.

Yup - and it opens up more opportunity for people to come to the UK rather than being militant and just capping it like the Torys want to.

Yup - and it opens up more opportunity for people to come to the UK rather than being militant and just capping it like the Torys want to.

It doesn't actualy open up more opportunity. They are only allowed if they are required and have a sponsor is the way the lib dems want it. Thats the way it is in australia and it works there.

Yes agreed again - but Geographical posting is better than a straight cap with no thinking behind it surely?

I don't have a clue how to solve the immigration puzzle tbh (beyond stamping out racism) so I'll button it.

Yes agreed again - but Geographical posting is better than a straight cap with no thinking behind it surely?

I don't have a clue how to solve the immigration puzzle tbh (beyond stamping out racism) so I'll button it.

Yes agree it does feel better than an arbitary limit, it just concerns me the idea of people with a card saying that they can only work as a plumber in Manchester for instance.

Appreciate they are trying to find a solution.

As above we need to discuss it - there is no easy way - it is when it is ignored as a hot potatoe that the BNP chime in.

It doesn't actualy open up more opportunity. They are only allowed if they are required and have a sponsor is the way the lib dems want it. Thats the way it is in australia and it works there.

Depends what you mean by 'works'

They lock them up first and ask questions second in Oz. If your found without a visa you go to a prison camp.

Way I see it we have to be at least humane & that is not. We win the lottery of life being born in the UK (or US, or OZ), and it is completely by chance. I could have been born in Ethiopia as easily as here.

If we could not feed our familes, and saw another place within reach, where we complain if our chickens are not fed caviar, I think we would all go for it. And frankly they can have some of our cake, we can make do with a far far smaller one.

Depends what you mean by 'works'

They lock them up first and ask questions second in Oz. If your found without a visa you go to a prison camp.

I get your point. I wasn't even thinking about illegal immigrants. What works in Oz is that you geta visa to work if a company has employed you to come to the country to fill a vacancy they have. You can't just swagger in and expect to stay and be given benefits.

I almost went a few years ago. I would have been granted a 4 year visa with the option to apply for citizenship after the 4 years if I'd been in full time employment for the duration.

You can go to Oz on a workign visa but it's only for a year at a time with 6 months in between visits (correct me if i'm wrong)

Way I see it we have to be at least humane & that is not. We win the lottery of life being born in the UK (or US, or OZ), and it is completely by chance. I could have been born in Ethiopia as easily as here.

If we could not feed our familes, and saw another place within reach, where we complain if our chickens are not fed caviar, I think we would all go for it. And frankly they can have some of our cake, we can make do with a far far smaller one.

what e sed

Lib Dems policy on immigration, localising it seems a bit weird & stalinst almost.
Stalinist is harsh, but the hallmark of a free country is freedom of movement, which people did not have in the Soviet Union. Slippery slope, me thinks.

MARKB said:
I'm pleased that immigration can now be the subject of a sensible open debate at last.
It is a good sign. We almost had a sensible debate in the US but then the 2008 elections approached and one of the more moderate, level-headed minds leading debate on the issue - Senator John McCain - got blocked by one of the least moderate and most erratic minds on the issue - presidential candidate John McCain :confused:

whatever policy is adopted needs to include some form of head counting, just so public services can at least prepare.

whatever policy is adopted needs to include some form of head counting, just so public services can at least prepare.

THE VERY PUBLIC SERVICES THAT YOU WANT TO SLASH WHEN YOU GET INTO POWER!!

ADMIT IT MR CHEWIE, TELL THE VIEWERS AT HOME THAT YOU CAN NOT BE TRUSTED.

(thats my Gordon Brown TV debate impression)

THE VERY PUBLIC SERVICES THAT YOU WANT TO SLASH WHEN YOU GET INTO POWER!!

ADMIT IT MR CHEWIE, TELL THE VIEWERS AT HOME THAT YOU CAN NOT BE TRUSTED.

(thats my Gordon Brown TV debate impression)

TRUST?

THIS IS COMING FROM A MAN WHO PROMISED US A REFERENDUM ON THE EU TREATY/CONSTITUTION...

THIS IS THE MAN WHO TOOK AWAY THE 10P STARTING RATE OF TAX.

THIS IS THE MAN WHO HAD LED US INTO THE DEEPEST RECESSION (note use of word recession and not global financial credit crunchie).

THIS IS THE MAN WHO HAS LEFT US WITH THE BIGGEST BUDGET DEFICIT IN BRITISH HISTORY.

AND THIS IS THE MAN WHO LEAVES HIS WALLET AT HOME AND NEVER BUYS A ROUND (see link below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj98Dk6L40I

The financial mess would have happened whoever was in. Otherwise someone, somewhere in some goverment in some country would have raised the flag.

But who did?

*cough*

"Vince Cable is credited by some with prescience of the Global financial crisis of 2008–2009. In November 2003, Cable asked Gordon Brown, then Chancellor, "Is not the brutal truth that … the growth of the British economy is sustained by consumer spending pinned against record levels of personal debt, which is secured, if at all, against house prices that the Bank of England describes as well above equilibrium level?" Brown replied, "As the Bank of England said yesterday, consumer spending is returning to trend. The Governor said: 'there is no indication that the scale of debt problems have… risen markedly in the last five years.' He also said that the fraction of household income used up in debt service is lower than it was then."[7]

Back