When do you think the Ibiza season will start in 2020?

When do you think the Ibiza season will start in 2020?

• May

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • June

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • July

Votes: 39 14.6%
  • August

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • September

Votes: 49 18.3%
  • October

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • It won’t, 2021 at the earliest

Votes: 119 44.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
remind me of this in september and we'll discuss it again ?
The whole way along I've known our government have f***ed it, as we could see ahead of time this was coming and again ahead of time when it hit other countries. I am however seeing positive signs. There is seemingly evidence now that it's passing in very low levels in the community and outdoors is also showing a low transmission level.

As someone who loves Ibiza and was previously quite negative as i was quite gutted about it probably not happening, i'm now feeling that a trip in mid/end August may be realistic, as in to physically get there. Of course i don't expect clubs to be open properly, at best i reckon we'll see 50% and that's an optimistic guess for the end of the season. We'll probably see a season in the way of there being O beach, Mambo (Mainly the rocks)and the west end possible (I don't think they will bother abut social distancing as capacity is lower).
I think countries are willing to open areas of tourism that they aren't 100% on and at that point they will have good evidence how elsewhere has worked.

Ryanair boss was on CH4 news tonight saying fairs will be really low to push people into wanting to get into planes, and he said Ryanair can maintain subsidising ticket prices for around 12-18 months if they have too (although would be laying off around 3,000 staff).

Not sure how much is truth and how much is PR.

I did agree with him that keeping middle seat free is idiotic while someone in front and behind you. He quoted some EU research that said it was pointless and proper face masks would be better. (Although peeps are going to be handling them to drink etc?‍♂️)
A lot of it is posturing to be fair.

Keeping a seat free is just another thing in the long line of restrictions that are/aren't in place that the government will wait until they have pressure against . Our government governs on waiting to see public opinion and reacting to it.

Of course the 2m rule only works in general. if we stand face to face talking 2m apart for ages it's more likely to be caught than if we are facing opposite ways, or if we only spoke for less time. Most of the advice they give is clearly disingenuous

Last edited:
Nice to see the positivity but I think I agree with el loco. I know the island needs tourism but would you really want to open your airports/borders so soon and risk round 2?

the problem is that there is simply nothing open here in the main tourist resorts. even when the sun is shining as it does a lot in winter, as a holiday maker, if you walk down playa d'en bossa main strip or san an sunset strip and everything is shut, it just doesn't feel the same.
Yep, having visited in winter, I can confirm that.

It doesn't prevent an Ibiza lover from coming - there are enough places open outside of "the main tourist resorts", plus some places are more affordable than during the season. The only real limitation is that the water is too cold for swimming.

But for someone expecting to find Ibiza "like in summer" (even without the ability to swim in the sea), it would be a disappointment. For most people looking for a warm island vacation without a long-haul flight, Canary Islands are a much better choice in winter than Ibiza. And Ibiza in winter is certainly not something I would do again and again, although I can highly recommend visiting the island in the cold season once.

It doesn't prevent an Ibiza lover from coming - there are enough places open outside of "the main tourist resorts", plus some places are more affordable than during the season. The only real limitation is that the water is too cold for swimming.

But for someone expecting to find Ibiza "like in summer" (even without the ability to swim in the sea), it would be a disappointment. For most people looking for a warm island vacation without a long-haul flight, Canary Islands are a much better choice in winter than Ibiza. And Ibiza in winter is certainly not something I would do again and again, although I can highly recommend visiting the island in the cold season once.

I hadn't thought about Tenerife, the age of the expats there, surely opening up could cause a major issue

Firsts nightclubs in Spain begin to program their starting date, following the Spanish laws that allow opening in Phase3 at 1/3 capacity and from "nueva normalidad" 22th june with 50% capacity.
Take for sure, during July in Ibiza, will be possible to dance in some terrace dancefloor or interior room of some little, med or big nightclub, with or without carl cox/solomun ?

1590227727512.png

A series of open air events with all different styles of music sounds pretty attractive. If it were marketed at an older age group then maybe the fact that 'it's not like it is in the summer' may not come as such as surprise. This could help with the adherence of social distancing too.

If I were a business owner who gets their income from seasonal working and that season had just had major disruption I would be thinking of trying to stay open for as long as possible into the winter.

But for someone expect to find Ibiza "like in summer" (even without the ability to swim in the sea), it would be a disappointment. For most people looking for a warm island vacation without a long-haul flight, Canary Islands are a much better choice in winter than Ibiza. And Ibiza in winter is certainly not something I would do again and again, although I can highly recommend visiting the island in the cold season once.

if you come to ibiza in winter and expect it to be like in summer, then I'm sorry, but in that case you've either been misinformed by someone or you haven't done your homework properly... it's clear the balearics will never feel summery in winter. and I agree that from a climate point of view alone, the canary islands are a more summery option during the winter months.

to what james said further up - yeah, I also can't ever see places like playa d'en bossa or san an bay to properly stay open in winter, those resorts are simply too big. but for those periods I mentioned earlier (halloween-nye), ibiza town, talamanca, figueretas, san an center and santa eularia might as well be good spots. I don't expect this period to ever turn into a proper mass tourism time, but if you have more hotels, restaurants and also bars and clubs open, more people who love ibiza and maybe are sick of seeing it in peak season packedness (well, not this year), might be enticed to come and see it in a different colour.

... but if you have more hotels, restaurants and also bars and clubs open, more people who love ibiza and maybe are sick of seeing it in peak season packedness (well, not this year), might be enticed to come and see it in a different colour.

Exactly this.

Oh I‘d love to be proven wrong there :)

I have a feeling that might happen.

on 'when does the season start' - the president of the spanish government just said he expects domestic tourism to start very soon and international tourism to restart in july.

I have a feeling that might happen.

on 'when does the season start' - the president of the spanish government just said he expects domestic tourism to start very soon and international tourism to restart in july.
Any more precision about July?

I'll buy you a cold one if you manage to make it over this year!
...just be careful you don't lose it if suddenly some clubbing venues open............
Lets hope you are right about the clubs. Hope to be there mid-Aug to mid-Sept, plenty of time to settle my bet. Herbias on me if your clubs are open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back