When are you too old?

I would argue that it is the events you are attending @Life of Rye - Sankeys Festival at 338 with that lineup screams to me 18-21 year olds out to get as bent up as possible, not really bothered about the music being played. Funny enough if you go to an event like Rumours or Cocoon in the UK, you'll find the crowd far more diverse - although it must be said that on a whole, I would agree that the average age at most events in the UK tends to be on a much younger crowd than Ibiza.

I've noticed time and time again that people tend to get to 18, start going out, try drugs and clubbing for the first time and then hit any old event like no tomorrow for a year or two before people tend to calm down, and then if people truly love the music and not just getting twisted, then they will be more selective with the events they attend.

However, as others have said head to Ibiza outside of July and August and you will find a perfect blend of ages at events, particularly at the right events - certain events attract a certain clientele.

Brining this one back up people as I am finding it harder the older I get (Now 31)

I have been to a few UK events this year and most recently this Saturday I went to Sankeys Festival at Studio 338 - Literally felt like an old man walking about though maybe I don't look my age I certainly feel it!
It made me feel a bit of a loser I must admit and I became a little self conscious.

It seems the door staff/Dj's are my age and everyone attending is 25 at the most!

Do people on here of similar age avoid these venues and events?

I did VLOG the day if anyone would like to see what 338 is like - Only a short video

There are people in that video who probably weren't even born the last time I was in Sankeys. Bleak.

I'm also 31 and definitely feeling old on the dancefloor.
Most nights I wouldn't even dream of going to because i know it will be too young

I'm also 31 and definitely feeling old on the dancefloor.
Most nights I wouldn't even dream of going to because i know it will be too young

It’s all personal perspective I guess. I’m also 31 and while people look younger to me, I don’t think crowds are getting younger as such.

I’ve been clubbing since I was around 20 and I think it’s more so people fall out of love with it and us lot have stuck with it, and the new early twenties crowd are just starting their journey.

That said, I do prefer clubbing outside of the UK, I enjoy the atmosphere of a slightly older, clued up crowd and it’s easier to find that abroad in my experience. Of course the party and the time in the year dictates that to a certain extent.

Last edited:
I’m forty now and certainly don’t feel like I’m passed it just yet. Will probably have a different view on it after this weeks visit though.

Last edited:
To @soha & @lee111s - What UK events have you done if any this year?

Saw Gerd Janson and Âme back in Feb. Charlotte De Witte in May and Christoph and Prydz in June, all in Newcastle.

I also done Terminal V in Edinburgh which was quality. Helena Hauff, Amelie Lens, Pan-pot and Rhodad.

Sure most of the crowd are younger, but very few knobs, most of which take too much gear too soon and nick off before 2am anyway.

this is all common sense no...?

you gravitate towards your own kind - when you've been clubbing for 28 years you develop sharp antennae for these things

at the events I go to there's very few under 35s - maybe the occasional kooky Japanese art student with an older boyfriend but that's about it

I also think people get too hung up on DJ lineups. You have to consider the bigger picture. how large or discreet is the event? who is it pitched at? does it have a good rep? are audiophiles in charge of the sound? are there places to chill? is the DJ surrounded by tacky LED? these things kinda matter as you get older. you might have a genius like Omar S playing with er.. MK but what does it matter if Omar S plays a blinder when the rest of the ingredients aren't there?

the best parties feel like they are at a mate's house rather than a stranger's aircraft hangar. I can never stress this enough but when you're in your 20s and just want razzmatazz that point will naturally sail over your head.

Thanks !! Yeh I am old fart .. Well I am 38 Oct 6...but I feel 38 lol nearly 40 eek
Don't knock it - wish I was 40 again. Bloody hard work this 59 lark..but at least in September I qualify for a railcard.

TRUE - I rolled up at the ferry offices for a day-trip to Formentera and one of them that won't be named called Pitiusa took one look at me and gave me the half-price senior discount.

You cheeky little sods.

Stuffed in to my back pocket and enjoyed the saving on a few beers....;)

Whilst we were over last week , my missus Dad and his two mates came over from the mainland to surprise her. They had a car and went to Cala Salada, Cala Compte, Cala Bassa during the days and then went on the beers in the Bay, up the Sunset Strip and even a few in the West End. All late 50s early 60s and loved it. No talk of them feeling old or anything like that but obviously no generic tech nights were visited :cool:

Back