The Politically Incorrect Thread

One of the oddest things about the UK.... how can you have such radically different accents on such a small piece of land :?:

We have regional accents in the US, but with the exception of various parts of New York City and some areas of New England, they usually cover large swaths of territory.

Morbyd said:
One of the oddest things about the UK.... how can you have such radically different accents on such a small piece of land :?:

In spain is the same, I have problems to understand people from the south and some from the north.

And still worst is the case of catalan and its dialects, I can't understand at all eivissenc or aranés (talked in a small valley in the pyrinees) and I have some problems with valencià and mallorquí :!:

Morbyd said:

One of the main reasons for this is the length of time that english has been the main language in the UK - over time more accents will develop as groups of people break away from towns and villages and form new settlements.

I would guess that if you were to go forward 500 years there would be a lot more accents in the US ;)

Morbyd said:
We have regional accents in the US, but with the exception of various parts of New York City and some areas of New England, they usually cover large swaths of territory.

Howdy ya'll...I got myself a southern texas accent...although I don't notice until I go north and people tell me. :confused:

In defense of the Scots, the most difficult English for me to understand has to be Geordi (sp?) spoken around Newcastle. Forget it! I feel embarassed to keep asking them to repeat - as they can tell from my accent I'm a native (American) English speaker. Sometimes I get rude looks when I say I don't understand. Oh, and then, there is of course Jamaican English - forget it!

Morbyd (East Coast) and I (West Coast) can understand each other perfectly - that's over 3,000 kilometres difference! (Although we have never spoken - I am sure of it.)

Tycoon said:
In defense of the Scots, the most difficult English for me to understand has to be Geordi (sp?) spoken around Newcastle. Forget it! I feel embarassed to keep asking them to repeat - as they can tell from my accent I'm a native (American) English speaker. Sometimes I get rude looks when I say I don't understand. Oh, and then, there is of course Jamaican English - forget it!

There is a big difference though between understanding different accents, and understanding dialects (where a group of people have there own grammar, language structure or even words). A lot of Scottish people have a distinctive dialect, and Jamaican takes this one step further to a pidgin or patois, which is almost a distinctive language- and at some point in the future will probably be recognised as such.

I have a neutral American accent... not assignable to a specific region... probably watched to much TV as a child.

Tycoon said:
I do not think I have ever actually heard Ibicenco spoken in conversation.

you obviously spent too much time in overpriced bars or clubs then!

fergie19 said:
Don't worry guys, I find it just as hard to understand a Scottish accent as the rest of you, especially Glasgow or Dundee :confused:

Coming from an Aberdonian, that's outrageous! :lol:

:eek: :oops: You're probably right there. The lady cashier at the Supermercado Ultra - something or other in Es Cubells had a difficult accent to understand - even when she spoke in Spanish. Must have been ibicenco!

On the subject of American English eventually developing separate, distinguishable dialects, I would disagree. I think that with TV and mass communication, regional accents will likely disappear more and more. One of the main reasons for the lack of strong regional accents in the US (other than in the Deep South - but is that really the US?) is due to TV/radio imho.

Tycoon said:
One of the main reasons for the lack of strong regional accents in the US (other than in the Deep South - but is that really the US?) is due to TV/radio imho.
In general, you're right. But some strong accents are persistent - New York (Queens, Brooklyn), Northern New Jersey, New England (Boston, Maine), Northern mid-western, Southeastern, Texas, and southern California.

Tycoon said:
On the subject of American English eventually developing separate, distinguishable dialects, I would disagree. I think that with TV and mass communication, regional accents will likely disappear more and more. One of the main reasons for the lack of strong regional accents in the US (other than in the Deep South - but is that really the US?) is due to TV/radio imho.

I can't really comment on the US but in many other places, UK included, accent is more than a way you speak because you hear other people speaking in that way. It is a way to tie yourself into a communityand it is part of your sense of self. If exposure to other accents was relevent then accents in the UK would already have begun to die out.

- but like I say I don't know much about the US, so this might be different there ;)

Morbyd, I'm totally from Southern California (L.A.) and, like, I don't think I have like an accent.

I agree with the New England accents (particularly Boston). Did grad school in Boston and whenever they announced something over the loudspeakers on the T I'd have to ask someone what was said!

Maine's funny too!

The people that REALLY get on my nerves is the Black People, especially handicapped black people.

*awaits torrent of abuse* ;)

just joking of course, i've met a few arrogant italians, but just as many aggresive boozed up brits, it's an obvious thing to say, but it really doesn't matter where your from or your ethnic background, we're all individuals, and can decide if we want to be nice, friendly people..

basically if you have a bad attititude, and aren't going to embrace all the different people on the island then don't fu*king come..

one love, peace out etc, etc...

silvia said:
Tycoon said:
Syliva, Morbyd, be careful with the John word: at least in American English, John means a prostitute's client.
Hands down coolest group in Ibiza this summer: the Brazilians. Coolest anywhere actually! Dance better than any one else, smile larger, hug more, love partying more than others and couldn't give a hoot if you are rich, poor, black, white, ugly, beautiful - they'll bring you into their own for a huge party - then invite you down for Carnaval in Feb/March!

Tycoon... Morbyd is called John and he is american :eek: :lol: :lol:
Do you speak/understand catalan or eivissenc? I'm catalan myself and I always have serious problems to understand eivissenc

And I totally agree iwth the brazilians, btw we have a lovely brazilian messing around the forums, Hola Conrado ;) :D :D :D

hi everyone, I´m back! I´m traveling for work, so I don´t have much time for the internet.

About Italians, I always thought that the problem with their atittude was due to coke-sniffing (makes them feel superior), than to the way they actually feel.

Thanx for the Brazilian party animals part, we do our best ;) ! The thing is that we LOVE partying, and we are spending too much money to go to Ibiza to worry about anything, in other words, if I have to be pissed, I won´t be pissed in euros, I´ll do it in my own currency in Brazil, it´s cheaper. The Italians are rude and conceited: forget ´em, let´s party. The Spanish guy was rude to you because you were dancing 1 meter behind him, move somewhere else, let´s party. The Brits get drunk all the time? Next time invite me to get drunk with you and let´s party.

Tycoon, CREAMFIELDS BA - trying to find friends to join me, but apparently no one in Brazil is able to plan anything ahead, they´ll probably leave it for the last minute, but I so want to go...

I am SOOO happy, two Brazilian girlies just moved in the apt. below me... they are super sweet and have total accents 8) Yes, Conrado is yum. ;)

I have never felt negativity from Italian men, but have been snubbed by a couple chickies before :evil: Its like, OK beeyotch, this is NOT the runways of Milan and I am a person so quit with the glare and nose in air :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Not all were like that, just a few I ran into at DC10.

Needless to say I started dancing spastically around them with this stupid, psychotic grin LOL. Wanted to see if they would smile... to no avail.

Conrado said:
Thanx for the Brazilian party animals part, we do our best ;) ! The thing is that we LOVE partying, and we are spending too much money to go to Ibiza to worry about anything, in other words, if I have to be pissed, I won´t be pissed in euros, I´ll do it in my own currency in Brazil, it´s cheaper. The Italians are rude and conceited: forget ´em, let´s party. The Spanish guy was rude to you because you were dancing 1 meter behind him, move somewhere else, let´s party. The Brits get drunk all the time? Next time invite me to get drunk with you and let´s party.

A manifesto for life.

Bravo!

:!: :!:

Conrado said:
Well said. Let's party :D

solask said:
Talked to some Spanish girls (sorry if I generalize here) but their english is really rubbish :confused: Hard to get anywhere when they don't even understand a full sentence in english. :p

You valuating people in Ibiza on how they express to each other in English??? That's a stupid and narrow-minded attitude. Remember that Ibiza is in Spain! Are those girls obliged to speak good English??? I think it's more important the fact of trying to communicate, no matter what English you speak. :rolleyes:

Back