The Footy....(2012-2013 season)

Should Nani have a gotten a red card?

TBH no..... but like Roy Keane said, I can see why the ref did give it.

It just makes up for all the home decisions that Refs have given Man Utd at Old Trafford in the past..... including Fergie Time.:)

The fact remains UTD couldn't score at Home in a Champions League game and Rooney's time is up at Old Trafford me thinks......

Roy Keane was talking out of his arse and just trying to be provocative in my opinion. Does he honestly believe that any attempt to play the ball at height is dangerous play and deserving of a red card? That would mean any attempted overhead/bicycle kick would be deemed to be dangerous. It was an accident, Nani had every right to try to play that and there was a collision. Maybe a yellow as he did foul the guy, surely can't be any more.

I say that as a football fan who really doesn't like Man Utd, or Nani. I just hate what the game is being reduced to.

Anyway, that's not the important stuff. It's an absolutely massive weekend at the wrong end of the Premier League. I fear that QPR might pick up another ugly win against Sunderland (it's the only way they know), and Reading are at home to Villa which is tough to call. If Southampton could manage a win at Norwich it'll put us in a great position, but I'm not so hopeful after 2 dodgy performances against Newcastle and QPR.

TBH no..... but like Roy Keane said, I can see why the ref did give it.

It just makes up for all the home decisions that Refs have given Man Utd at Old Trafford in the past..... including Fergie Time.:)

The fact remains UTD couldn't score at Home in a Champions League game and Rooney's time is up at Old Trafford me thinks......
Watching live I said at least a card, watching the replays his studs were up. The red card was ok but a yellow would have been a little light.

It just makes up for all the home decisions that Refs have given Man Utd at Old Trafford in the past.

That's just one of those myths that non-Man Utd fans bang on about so much that eventually they believe their own BS, but in actual fact have little foundation in truth. It's just that fan's have selective memories. In the same vein as "Utd always do better in the second half of the season" (they don't).

Roy Keane was talking out of his arse and just trying to be provocative in my opinion. Does he honestly believe that any attempt to play the ball at height is dangerous play and deserving of a red card? That would mean any attempted overhead/bicycle kick would be deemed to be dangerous. It was an accident, Nani had every right to try to play that and there was a collision. Maybe a yellow as he did foul the guy, surely can't be any more.

I say that as a football fan who really doesn't like Man Utd, or Nani. I just hate what the game is being reduced to.

Agreed. Also amazed that I've only seen the one journalist that mentioned how I feel about the incident:

Namely, that it was a 60/40 ball in Nani's favour, and it was reckless for Arbeloa to go storming in like he did. If you're gonna throw yourself around like that, and run into challenges where you are unfavoured, there's an element of risk. There was zero intent. The studs-up argument is unrealistic. Studs are present on football boots > football involves running, jumping, kicking, sliding. Clamping down on "studs-up", which is inevitability going to happen from time to time, will be detrimental to the game. It's need to be taken into context.

Keane is just trolling. I actually think Keane resents being on that punditry panel. The look he gives Chiles sometimes, you can tell he proper loathes him. And we of course know of the history between he & Southgate.

Other than Keane, nobody involved with the game considers this to be a sending-off. Refereeing is as much about using your common-sense as it is living by the rule book.

In regards to Rooney, on his day he is still Utd's best all-round player by a country mile. Fergie's selection was justified because of the performance and workrate of Wellbeck.

Again, I'm not a Utd fan. But as has already been mentioned it's a shame when an otherwise cracking, entertaining game of football has been marred by an incident that has been blown out of all proportion and had a big hand in the result.

I'd have thought no. However both feet were off the floor and studs showing.....

What makes you think that Danny?

When Beckham was dropped he was gone 3 months later. Same with Van Nistelrooy. Plus all the messing over his contract last season, Id say he's off as Van Persie seems to be preferred now.

Fact: Old Trafford has the lowest percentage for penalties awarded to away teams in the Premiership for over ten years now.

When Beckham was dropped he was gone 3 months later. Same with Van Nistelrooy. Plus all the messing over his contract last season, Id say he's off as Van Persie seems to be preferred now.

Fact: Old Trafford has the lowest percentage for penalties awarded to away teams in the Premiership for over ten years now.

Fair point.
I think welbeck has a high work rate, as he proved he ran around no-stop the whole time he was on giving Real issues. Rooney coming on as an impact player if needed poses a high threat or he has proved he can drop back and show a decent defensive side too.

The old trafford point, could it not just be that their defence is usually pretty decent so they dont make as many rash challenges in the box?

The old trafford point, could it not just be that their defence is usually pretty decent so they dont make as many rash challenges in the box?

Yea that too maybe.

Ferguson lost his head last night instead of organising his team, he was over reacting to the ref's dubious decision. 2 goals came within 10 mins of the sending off.

As a Chelsea supporter I remember when Terry was sent off in last seasons Champions league......10 men Chelsea defended and held on. Mourionio did it with a 10 man inter milan team against Barcelona in 2010.

I was surprised how quickly Man Utd lost their shape when they lost Nani...thats not like them.

Yea that too maybe.

Ferguson lost his head last night instead of organising his team, he was over reacting to the ref's dubious decision. 2 goals came within 10 mins of the sending off.

As a Chelsea supporter I remember when Terry was sent off in last seasons Champions league......10 men Chelsea defended and held on. Mourionio did it with a 10 man inter milan team against Barcelona in 2010.

I was surprised how quickly Man Utd lost their shape when they lost Nani...thats not like them.
They lost the plot after Nani was sent off. The Nani kick was not as bad as Dejong from last year which should have been a straight red instead of a yellow card. If Man U had parked the bus they could have still came away with a win.

Messi is stupidly good, and it seems he's not finished improving yet! I'll be at the Bernabeu on Saturday to see Real play, will be my first taste of live La Liga football. I'm gutted to be missing Saints vs Liverpool, but 3 nights in Madrid for a good mate's stag do has to take priority!

Messi is stupidly good, and it seems he's not finished improving yet! I'll be at the Bernabeu on Saturday to see Real play, will be my first taste of live La Liga football. I'm gutted to be missing Saints vs Liverpool, but 3 nights in Madrid for a good mate's stag do has to take priority!
You will enjoy Madrid( they have a Pacha there also).

The violence of the weekend in Newcastle and during the Millwall match, mountain out of a molehill or is a crackdown needed?

I doubt they'll ever manage to eradicate football violence completely. At least its not as bad is it was in the 80s. If people wanna have a ruck they're gonna do it. I watched fan footage on YouTube from Wembley and the regular Millwall fans were chanting w____ers at the guys scrapping (and it was long before the cops waded in too so pretty sure who it was aimed at). You still hear of bother up here from time to time but its usually well away from the ground and nothing like what it used to be. Its still glorified in popular culture quite a bit, bad movies, football factowees, fashion etc. some folk are always gonna gravitate towards it.

The Gunners need 3 points and I hope Wenger doesn't lose the plot when he makes the line up. That was a lucky come back on saturday.

I just want to say that i hope gareth bale gets better soon. . . Hala madrid

Saurez should have gotten a red card and been sent off. The selfish side of me is glad he scored to keep Chelsea from getting 3 points.

Back