summer 2016 - what's hot and what's not

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok here's more feedback.

HYTE. went last week, basically only to see caribou live, but talabot was also on the bill as well as floorplan in the main room and dice in the terrace.

first disappointment was john talabot not being there, again flight problems apparently. this can happen to any promoter and happened to a good few already this year, so that's something you have to live with, especially this summer it seems. instead of him warming up the terrace it was tobi neumann, whom I like quite a lot, but the warm up IMO was too hard for what followed.

then caribou live, they were great and it really was one of the gigs I was most looking forward to all summer. the terrace was nicely busy for that, but the thing is, for an artist like that, 'nicely busy' is just not good enough. again though, for that I'm not sure we can blame hyte in any way, because I've seen it quite a few times already that electronic live acts (from which people like me and other proper electronic music lovers think they should fill clubs on their own), don't really cut the mustard here. again something that has happened lots of times before, but hyte can't have been overly happy with that outcome I think.

after caribou it was dice's turn. stayed for maybe another half an hour and then left.

verdict - I'll have to go again to get a second taste (a night in the main room I think), but for now, just like last year, I'm honestly still not sold on the whole thing. I know the numbers are a bit better than last year, but I believe they're still not up there where they should be. and I can't stop thinking that musically (at least for 80% of the line up) it is mostly just too close to music on. I've never made a secret that I'm personally fed up with the generic tech house played in so many places, but yeah, it really is this. I also think that some of the line ups are still a bit all over the show. the neumann-caribou-dice example, but then also the liebing-harvey-rodrigues one in two weeks time. over the course of the whole season they have a few great artists coming to play, but when I look at those line ups, I often think 'hmmm I'd like to see THAT DJ (or live act), but before and after...naaah'. I'm sure though that tech house lovers enjoy hyte a lot.

and now I've just come back from...

WooMoon.

same as with acid sundays last year, this is the party that is talk of town this summer. and it's not surprising, I've mentioned it elsewhere in the forums before; woomoon is done by the guys that were behind acid sundays last season. acid sundays this year has sadly turned into a pretty standard club night now (apart from the music itself, which is still acid pauli and friends)...but woomoon...oh boy.

after lots of friends telling me this is the one night I had to see I finally managed to go today and yeah, they were all on point with their opinions. it's everything acid sundays was last year...and more. more because it starts outside late afternoon, more because it's a full 12 hour party if you want it, more because I've never seen cova santa shine in such glory, more because the party fits the location in an absolutely perfect way (which, if I'm honest, IMO isn't really the case with acid sundays at heart). it really is that one different party. think a mix between a hippie gathering and electronica fiesta. think zoo project, but zero tackiness and an entirely different crowd, vibe and sound. a party you can bring your family with (yes, including kids - there's lots of stuff for them), but generally the average age is way above 30. I sadly couldn't stay long today, but I'm totally going back very soon to stay a full night and take it all in.

to give you a bit more info, there is stuff going on everywhere. outdoor dance floor from 6pm to midnight, indoor dancefloor from midnight to 6am, lots of different food and drink stalls with a big variety of stuff. clothes, face paint (the decent one, not just silver glitter over blue paint), kids animation with clowns etc, generally a lot of performance going on left, right and centre. and as it's outside and inside and has food and drinks options, it's really an event you can easily stay for the whole duration.

DO: arrive early. we arrived at 9pm and that was too late already as we only got the very last bit of the daytime action. seriously, aim for 7pm guys.
DO: buy a ticket in pre-sale (they're 30€). if you turn up without ticket or a valid guestlist, at some point you'll be turned away. this event sells out and they stop at the right point, where it still stays comfy for everyone inside. so if you wanna go, get a ticket and arrive very early.
DO: feel free to wear whatever you want. this party reminded me of my very first visits to the island when people still dressed in a more varied, creative way.
DO: go if you've still not been to cova santa.
DO: try the mezcal mojitos! :)

DON'T: go if you can't stand hippies and / or slow electronic music. if you only get going at 124 bpm don't bother.
DON'T: arrive late with your rental car - you'll be parking far away as everyone arrives early and CS car park is just not that big.

seriously, in my humble opinion, in the era we're in right now, this event is as 'ibiza' as it can get. go and see for yourself. for now it's planned to run until 14th september, but I can see this running a bit later maybe seeing how well it does.

I went to Hyte last week as well and thought the terrace was more than just nicely busy, but this could have been due to them closing the main room since Talabot was not there. They had an actual concert setup with a stage so that was new for Amnesia. The concert was really cool, liked what they performed and they went over their alotted time too.

I checked out Robert Hood as well and he mixed up techno with house. Good as well. Loco Dice...I just couldn't get into it. I'm honestly over the tech house sound like Stivi. He tried to make it interesting as much as possible but I just couldn't vibe to it. I stayed till like around 5. The strength of this night depends on Loco Dices and Chris Liebing's pull and tech house sound in general which I think is done woth

So Stivi you missed YokoO :spank:
I just can't wait to go, this is the only party I really want to do this year, my friends(old ibiza lovers or residents) said exactly the same, the place to go for people like us...
And the music is all I love these days...
4 dates on my diary :cool::twisted:

And thank you for the advice to come early, normally I will be on a guestlist, but I will take no risk...
P.S :if we go to the restaurant, can we go clubbing or we will have to pay?

yeah I couldn't stay for yokoo sadly. I'm not sure regarding the restaurant/club deal for that event, probably good to check with the venue. I did see people eating, but am unsure if they offer the full range on event days and also don't know if you get around paying entrance.

and now I've just come back from...

WooMoon.

same as with acid sundays last year, this is the party that is talk of town this summer. and it's not surprising, I've mentioned it elsewhere in the forums before; woomoon is done by the guys that were behind acid sundays last season. acid sundays this year has sadly turned into a pretty standard club night now (apart from the music itself, which is still acid pauli and friends)...but woomoon...oh boy.

after lots of friends telling me this is the one night I had to see I finally managed to go today and yeah, they were all on point with their opinions. it's everything acid sundays was last year...and more. more because it starts outside late afternoon, more because it's a full 12 hour party if you want it, more because I've never seen cova santa shine in such glory, more because the party fits the location in an absolutely perfect way (which, if I'm honest, IMO isn't really the case with acid sundays at heart). it really is that one different party. think a mix between a hippie gathering and electronica fiesta. think zoo project, but zero tackiness and an entirely different crowd, vibe and sound. a party you can bring your family with (yes, including kids - there's lots of stuff for them), but generally the average age is way above 30. I sadly couldn't stay long today, but I'm totally going back very soon to stay a full night and take it all in.

to give you a bit more info, there is stuff going on everywhere. outdoor dance floor from 6pm to midnight, indoor dancefloor from midnight to 6am, lots of different food and drink stalls with a big variety of stuff. clothes, face paint (the decent one, not just silver glitter over blue paint), kids animation with clowns etc, generally a lot of performance going on left, right and centre. and as it's outside and inside and has food and drinks options, it's really an event you can easily stay for the whole duration.

DO: arrive early. we arrived at 9pm and that was too late already as we only got the very last bit of the daytime action. seriously, aim for 7pm guys.
DO: buy a ticket in pre-sale (they're 30€). if you turn up without ticket or a valid guestlist, at some point you'll be turned away. this event sells out and they stop at the right point, where it still stays comfy for everyone inside. so if you wanna go, get a ticket and arrive very early.
DO: feel free to wear whatever you want. this party reminded me of my very first visits to the island when people still dressed in a more varied, creative way.
DO: go if you've still not been to cova santa.
DO: try the mezcal mojitos! :)

DON'T: go if you can't stand hippies and / or slow electronic music. if you only get going at 124 bpm don't bother.
DON'T: arrive late with your rental car - you'll be parking far away as everyone arrives early and CS car park is just not that big.

seriously, in my humble opinion, in the era we're in right now, this event is as 'ibiza' as it can get. go and see for yourself. for now it's planned to run until 14th september, but I can see this running a bit later maybe seeing how well it does.

that sounds really good. fingers crossed will run a bit longer

Woomoon sounds great, I'm saving myself for Pikes on the Wednesday though. 1 week is never long enough is it.

I fancy woomon, being older and a little more laid back, early/mid september I am there, quick question, do you think it could potentially be a pain in the arse to get back to san antonio afterwards without a car?

I fancy woomon, being older and a little more laid back, early/mid september I am there, quick question, do you think it could potentially be a pain in the arse to get back to san antonio afterwards without a car?

you might wait a while for a taxi yeah

Really like the sound of WooMoon - thanks for the review, Stivi!

How much are food & drink on average?

Really like the sound of WooMoon - thanks for the review, Stivi!

How much are food & drink on average?

not cheap, but a tad cheaper than in the clubs. some of the stalls work with tickets (one ticket is 5€) and those bloody marvellous mezcal mojitos were two tickets (so 10€, which is not cheap but acceptable for a cocktail, given we're in ibiza). lots of the food stuff was either one or two tickets too if I remember correctly. then there's also a few normal bars (the ones close to the dancefloor outside, but I believe same is valid for the inside dancefloor too) where you can pay cash and a beer was 8€ which again isn't cheap, but quite a bit cheaper than elsewhere.

afterlife.

went again for a bit last night. arrived at 11:15 stressed out, thinking I've missed a chunk of howling live already. luckily they started half an hour late so I still got a cold beer even before they started. howling live was simply beautiful. and because the sunset terrace only really got busy at around midnight their performance felt super intimate, as if they'd play a showcase in your living room. stayed a little longer to see âme live as well in the terraza and frank was as good as ever.

afterlife is certainly one of the 'hot' events this year. musically it's great. the only two things I don't like is that a) the sunset live gigs don't get enough attention and therefore, once it's over, it takes another hour before the terraza actually properly comes alive. needs a bit of patience.
b) I don't really get the lower terraza DJ booth. it takes away precious space and doesn't improve the vibe I think. the only ones benefitting of that are the table clients which are just behind them. tbh I think they took solomun at pacha as an example...

anyway though, some great line ups coming on for this one and I do wonder if the terraza will be big enough for some of the upcoming dates...we shall see

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back