Spotlight Running Club

I had a few friends that ran the Reading Half today. Well done Jack, that's a quality time. Definitely looking well on track for a decent marathon.

That all said, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sick of this weather. I had to stand in a queue to pick my bag up for an hour after the race, in the wind and rain in just my shorts and vest and a bit of foil. Not the best!

This Winter finally drove me off my bike. I'm fine with dry cold, even sub-zero, or both dry and wet heat, but strong wind and cold rain together just killed the deal. Fitness took a total nosedive as a result :(. Been ok last week or so though and started up again (slowly). Still couldn't bring myself to get out running :lol:. Be good when this weather pattern shifts for a bit longer - I think we've all had about as much as anyone can be expected to take of it !!!!!!!!!!!

This Winter finally drove me off my bike. I'm fine with dry cold, even sub-zero, or both dry and wet heat, but strong wind and cold rain together just killed the deal. Fitness took a total nosedive as a result :(. Been ok last week or so though and started up again (slowly). Still couldn't bring myself to get out running :lol:. Be good when this weather pattern shifts for a bit longer - I think we've all had about as much as anyone can be expected to take of it !!!!!!!!!!!

Have you had any floods near you?

I need to get on 3 runs a week ASAP. My weight is climbing at the rate of 0.5kg a week. :rolleyes: Always something that stops me getting in as much running as I want - this time of year it's normally the weather, but today I had some bruise on the top of my foot which hurt as soon as I tightened my shoe... No idea how it happened. Not a UDI (unidentified drinking injury :lol:), as I ain't been out. Still, if I can't run, I do an extra weights session instead, but that doesn't keep the fat off. :mad:

Have you had any floods near you?

A few fleeting bouts in vague vicinity and some coastal bashing, but it was mainly Cornwall and Somerset which took the hit down there. Well, apart from the entire rail network of Devon & Cornwall south of Exmouth getting cut off for weeks when the only train line into the region got washed away :rolleyes:. Thank god I wasn't depending on it this year ! I'm back inland now and it's actually worse round here locally, but nothing which affects me personally.

Well in Jack, sounds like you are right back on track. What time are you aiming for in the marathon?

Sympathize with you guys and the weather, second winter over here and I have become a softie. Only wore tights a couple of times in the UK, have worn them virtually every run this winter.. The UK winter climate would kill me now!

Completed the Formentera All Round Trail (affectionately known as FART to the locals) in 5:28, 25 miles. Terrain was brutal, finished 65th of 105 finishers, happy with this. For anyone wanting something a bit different without having to spend a kings ransom this race is made for you. For anyone interested for next year; https://www.facebook.com/trailformentera

Good luck with your training folks :)

Well in Jack, sounds like you are right back on track. What time are you aiming for in the marathon?

I'm not 100% sure. Before my injury I was set on sub 3:30, straight after the injury I would've been happy just to make it to the start, now I can't decide.

I think I'll see how the next 3 weeks go before I start to taper. 3 runs of 20-22 miles at the weekends and 45-50 mile weeks before I ease off, and I'll do the majority of at least one of those long runs at 3:30 marathon pace to see how it feels. It'd be great to hit my original target after such a setback, I've been working really hard to make up for lost time.

FART sounds ace, and I love the idea of going abroad for events. I'll get this marathon out of the way before I think too much about anything else though, I might decide I hate running after this :)

Hey Evo. Thanks for asking. I'll just copy & paste what I put on the Runners World forum I use. It was a great weekend but massively frustrating at the same time. And hot!

3:46:55 for me. Most frustrating run of my life. I started right at the front of pen 7, along with the 9:40 pacers, I don't think I've run a 9:40 mile in my life! I didn't manage an 8 minute mile until mile 16, and I never once strung together back-to-back 8 min miles due to the traffic. I wasted loads of energy with overtaking all the way round but it was that or get stuck at sub 9 min mileing all the way round. That was never an option. It was ridiculous in places, barriers confining us to one side of a road when both ways were closed all day anyway, spectators spilling off the pavements and into the road and the stewards doing nothing about it. We even ground to a complete stop at one water station on about 17 miles. I felt great through 22 miles, then my left calf went on 23 which meant my last 3 miles was a limp. I got a hideous stitch where I had to run really flat footed on that side to try to protect my calf. It feels like another tear unfortunately so I'll have a few weeks of getting over that.

It was a great experinence to see the sights and complete my first marathon but I really didn't enjoy the run. I witnessed some shocking running etiquette throughout and could never run at a steady pace which completely killed my race. Bit gutted really to have to switch to plan C. Nice bit of sunburn and a vest shaped white bit on my chest.

My main feeling isn't of achievement, but just wondering how quick I can go with an injury-free 18 week training program and a clear bit of road to run on. Next time. Anyway, I'm in the airport now and off to Mexico to put my feet up for a couple of weeks. While I'm away I'll put in for the ballot for VLM2015 and decide whether to run an autumn marathon or wait until next spring.

Yes guys.

I was a 7 time national junior champion. I am 34 now bit still love my running.

Any advice then just give me a shout.

Biggest tips.I would give is not to overtrain or train with unbalanced aspect of fitness, get too obsessed with dieting but stick to a generally good diet although treats are more than acceptable.

Main rule is that you got to enjoy it. If you don't it's a hard slog and mentally you will go nuts. Very easy to get addicted. Be sensible and listen to the body. If it's aching then it's for a reason.

After 6 months of carrying a nasty groin injury and not being able to train I ran my first 5 mile run this morning without any problem.

After many long months of physio - which you never know if it's gonna work or not - and just being patient (the hardest part!) it felt great!

On the one hand where I am is a massive step back in terms of my previous running, but on the other hand - I'm actually running again!!

My fitness levels are shit compared to my pre injury state, but it's just thankful I'm able to get out again.

After 5 years of injury free running it was a bit of a shock when it happened but I've learnt two things from this:

- Don't take your fitness for granted
- Don't try and run through injury hoping it will get better - this made my condition much worse.

Happy running folks!

Great effort Jack. I would be more than happy to bag a 3:45 marathon :) Heard many people (fun runners apart) that London is more about the occasion than getting any sort of marathon time to cheer about. Far better watching on the tv than taking part in London imho. Any more races planned Jack?

Brilliant new, Mark. That is a long layoff, hope it proves worth every minute. Flip side five years is a decent stretch without an injury, you must be a tough bunch in the North East :lol: Consider all the bad weather running you have cut out too... Any races you are eying up?

Hey guys!

Thought I'd come say hello and join in with the running chat.

I've not done a marathon, or even a half, although that is about to change come October when I do the Great Eastern. Going to work my way up to a marathon next year! Any hints or tips from those that have done one? Also, anyone done any abroad? London seems abit too congested for my liking, and whilst it may be a fantastic occasion I want to get out there and run for a time more than anything!

Not sure what time I'd be looking though, currently racing at 10k level, PB of 36:34 which now I am working on the track as well I hoping to get down :) Anyway guys, thats me! Hello

Patto, that's a freaking good 10k time! Welcome to the thread :)

I'm no marathon expert, but I would say the main thing is don't be afraid of the distance of a marathon, once you have done one you will wonder what the fuss is about. A 40 minute 10k is infinitely harder to achieve than a sub 4 hour marathon and you are way beyond that level...But I suspect you already know this stuff! :)

I cannot recommend Valencia marathon highly enough. Pancake flat around a stunning city landscape and not crowded, takes some beating.

Patto, that's a freaking good 10k time! Welcome to the thread :)

I'm no marathon expert, but I would say the main thing is don't be afraid of the distance of a marathon, once you have done one you will wonder what the fuss is about. A 40 minute 10k is infinitely harder to achieve than a sub 4 hour marathon and you are way beyond that level...But I suspect you already know this stuff! :)

I cannot recommend Valencia marathon highly enough. Pancake flat around a stunning city landscape and not crowded, takes some beating.

Cheers! :)

I don't know a great deal when it comes to marathons, just that I imagine its a long old slog haha!

I did see an advert for the Valencia one, I must say it really did look quite amazing. I might have to consider that one as my start point :)

Is it bad that I'm going to Ibiza in July amd my main concern is that I will be missing 2 weeks worth of training? LOL!

That's an unreal 10km time Patto!

London Marathon is all about the occasion IMO. Wouldn't recommend it when going for a pb.

I've finally started up running again after a hiatus to do some cycling. Enjoying it once more :D

Great effort Jack. I would be more than happy to bag a 3:45 marathon :) Heard many people (fun runners apart) that London is more about the occasion than getting any sort of marathon time to cheer about. Far better watching on the tv than taking part in London imho. Any more races planned Jack?

Brilliant new, Mark. That is a long layoff, hope it proves worth every minute. Flip side five years is a decent stretch without an injury, you must be a tough bunch in the North East :lol: Consider all the bad weather running you have cut out too... Any races you are eying up?

Cheers mate, I was out again this morning in the torrential rain for another five miles - definitely got the running bug back!!!
Was straight away thinking "i'll go out tomorrow and do 7 miles" -- but I've got to be careful and take it easy. Which isn't a bad thing as I'm building up the juice in the tank again!

No races booked yet, had three booked which i had to let pass due to the injury. Nothing more deflating than getting your number in the post when you know you cant do the run!!

Hope you're good mate and life in Ibiza continues to treat you well!

I've heard of plenty of people bagging good times in London. If you get out of the right pen for the time you're after then you shouldn't have too much traffic trouble, or so I'm told. I'm in the ballot for next year anyway, it's an amazing atmosphere and course.

MARKB - hope your recovery continues to go well

Patto - you're clearly a great runner, build up the distance slowly and you'll do fine. A year ago my longest run was 10 miles. I slowly built up the distance, ran a 10 mile race in October, a half in November, then started an 18 week marathon program at the start of December. There's loads of good info online, but the most important bit is the Sunday long run. Rack up at least 2 or 3 20 milers, and there's no point running more than 22 miles in a single run in training, as recovery takes too long and will affect the rest of the week's training.

I managed a 20k cycle and a tentative 5k run on the treadmill today, calf seems to have held up ok after some physio. My plan is to hit the gym and keep the running ticking over through the summer, lose a stone, run the Great South again in October and a couple of halfs this year, then line up another marathon attempt in the spring, and knock 20 minutes or more off my London time with any luck. Lots of marathons I'd love to do - apart from the obvious 6 majors, Amsterdam, Brighton, Madrid, Valencia, Manchester are all temping for different reasons.

Done the Kirkbymoorside 10k today, my word, what a tough first 5km. Endless climbing up hills before a nice break at 7k then bang, have one final climb! Tough going.

Got to say though, what a fantastic event, really good organisation, lots of spectators and plenty of activities for the kids and those not quite up to the distance (Kids dash, 4km fun run and a mile dash)

Had a cracking day, got a good time (37:24) and now I am chilling with a few cheeky drinks tonight :) Onwards to next Sundays race at the Eye 10k!

Back