Spotlight Running Club

I filmed The Blaydon Race as I took part in it last week. It has had my life all week editing it due to very difficult raw footage I had to work with. I normally have the camera attached to a headband, but, had misplaced the clip. Consequently I had to carry the camera in my hand.

I filmed the whole event and this is it edited down to a little over the length of the song. I hope I've captured the spirit of the event many locals consider with pride as our Geordie race along with our Geordie Anthem.

Enjoy

[video=youtube;XvNJVY9eJ3o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvNJVY9eJ3o[/video]

The Blaydon Race ran every year on the 9th of June to tie in with the lyrics of the song. The race begins in Newcastle at Balbras where the original song, written by Geordie Ridley, was performed in 1862. Runners travel along Collingwood Street and Scotswood Road on the way to the finish at Blaydon, approx 5.9 miles.

Considered as The Geordie National Anthem 'The Blaydon Races' song is used in the video. It is the first ever recording from 1908 by a local musichall comedian who used the stage name JC Scatter. His real name was Jimmy Cosgrove and was born in Byker, a suburb of Newcastle. I digitally re-mastered this recording taken from the original 78 record.

Last edited by a moderator:
Times have suddenly started improving again. Got an avg pace of 8:23 min/mi on a 6 mile circuit last week and 8:34 on a harder, hilly 6.5 mile one yesterday. Putting it down to sprinting as much near the end as possible. Hopefully can keep knocking it down.

Just signed up to the Bournemouth Half, first proper run I've had booked in for over a year.
Nice route along the cliff and promenade.
Just over a week till closing if anyone down south fancies it, however it is the same weekend as Space closing.

Just been out to buy my first decent pair of running trainers. Went to a well known and recommended place in Portsmouth called Alexandra sport. They give you a free biomechanical assessment and seem to know their stuff, have all their stock in half-sizes and have a great range there. I didn't get much change from £100 but that'll surely be worth it with the amount of miles I'll be doing over the next few months.

I just need to shift this post-Ibiza head cold and I'll be out to test drive them. Praying that'll be the end of the blisters problem.

I filmed The Blaydon Race as I took part in it last week. It has had my life all week editing it due to very difficult raw footage I had to work with. I normally have the camera attached to a headband, but, had misplaced the clip. Consequently I had to carry the camera in my hand.

I filmed the whole event and this is it edited down to a little over the length of the song. I hope I've captured the spirit of the event many locals consider with pride as our Geordie race along with our Geordie Anthem.

Enjoy

The Blaydon Race ran every year on the 9th of June to tie in with the lyrics of the song. The race begins in Newcastle at Balbras where the original song, written by Geordie Ridley, was performed in 1862. Runners travel along Collingwood Street and Scotswood Road on the way to the finish at Blaydon, approx 5.9 miles.

Considered as The Geordie National Anthem 'The Blaydon Races' song is used in the video. It is the first ever recording from 1908 by a local musichall comedian who used the stage name JC Scatter. His real name was Jimmy Cosgrove and was born in Byker, a suburb of Newcastle. I digitally re-mastered this recording taken from the original 78 record.

Very good, Les :)

10kilometer run best time
45 minutes

I can improve it but I just get bored of running ...I rather play footie.

1011454_624034027615418_1267497291_n.jpg

Haha I like this ^^^^

I've officially worn my trainers out, just in time for me to head to Ibiza!! Will pick it up again when I get back I guess!

Western States result for 2013, Timmy Olsen;
M1.jpg
holds onto his title after last years course record sub 15 hour run with one of the fastest times in the races' history on the 2nd hottest June day in 40 years! These guys have balls of titanium and hearts the size of footballs, amazing. I dream, almost daily of one day heading off to the top of Squaw valley at 05:00 with 100.2 miles ahead. The legend and founder of the race, Gordy Ainsley;
0.jpg
at 66 years young didn't finish, but gave it a bloody good go. Anyone wanting a great movie to fill in a couple of hours, have a look at "Unbreakable - The Western States 100". A spine tingler from start to finish, even non-sporty friends have found it compelling viewing.

Western States result for 2013, Timmy Olsen;
M1.jpg
holds onto his title after last years course record sub 15 hour run with one of the fastest times in the races' history on the 2nd hottest June day in 40 years! These guys have balls of titanium and hearts the size of footballs, amazing. I dream, almost daily of one day heading off to the top of Squaw valley at 05:00 with 100.2 miles ahead. The legend and founder of the race, Gordy Ainsley;
0.jpg
at 66 years young didn't finish, but gave it a bloody good go. Anyone wanting a great movie to fill in a couple of hours, have a look at "Unbreakable - The Western States 100". A spine tingler from start to finish, even non-sporty friends have found it compelling viewing.
- This looks amazing. Gonna have to dig out that film!

No idea how people run marathons in hot countries. Just did 10k and it's about 25 centigrade, felt like a tough run!

New running shoes are feeling good though, that was only my 2nd run but I'm hoping they've solved the blister problem.

After running for almost a year now (not constantly :eek:), I'd say just above 0C is the most pleasant temp to run in - and that's wearing shorts & t-shirt. Even the sort of temps we get in Scotland in the summer can make running harder!

I'm quite happy running in 25 degrees +. 20 years in the tropics probably conditioned me !

I trained for my first marathon when it was snow and cold weather. Felt much easier than running in hot conditions.

Clocked 45K this week but i feel ruined after each 10K. Feels like I'm running them really slowly, which im not. Just obviously takes alot more out of me during and after.

Just got back from a late night 10K. 43:25. Ridiculously happy with that!

Half marathon yesterday, 1hr 37 min 34 sec chip time. bit outside my best but Only been getting 10-12 miles a week in since early may so relatively happy.

Just got back from a late night 10K. 43:25. Ridiculously happy with that!

Half marathon yesterday, 1hr 37 min 34 sec chip time. bit outside my best but Only been getting 10-12 miles a week in since early may so relatively happy.
It's just not fair! You young guns are like speedy Gonzales. 43 mins for a training 10k is ripping it up, you must be near 40 mins in a race? (not sure what is going on with the forum, won't allow return key.)

Back