Spotlight Running Club

How's the running going, peeps?

My mam gave me a Garmin watch for my birthday. Did 4.2 miles last night in 46 minutes. Probably only been out 15 - 20 times, but I'm noting improvements all the time.

Trying to do 3 weights sessions and 3 running sessions a week now. A session = ~ 1hour.

That is a very fair effort, nothing shabby about 10 minute miles in such a short time. Back in Jan/ Feb I remember that feeling of achievement running for a little bit longer each week and really feeling the benefits. Have you noticed any difference in you leg tone yet?

You need the buzz of entering / running a race to get totally hooked8)

Does your watch have software for the pc to upload your workouts? Found this facility fantastic since using my watch, great to chart progress, keep a count of burnt calories etc.

My first marathon 18th November, unfortunately not where I would like to be fitness wise but totally back into the training zone after a small hiatus.

Good luck with your training folks:D

I'm going to start my running again after this weekend.
Think I've only been out twice since the beginning of August.

I'm doing the Brighton marathon next year after good reports from some of you guys :)
Only recently remembered I'd entered it :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a very fair effort, nothing shabby about 10 minute miles in such a short time. Back in Jan/ Feb I remember that feeling of achievement running for a little bit longer each week and really feeling the benefits. Have you noticed any difference in you leg tone yet?

You need the buzz of entering / running a race to get totally hooked8)

Does your watch have software for the pc to upload your workouts? Found this facility fantastic since using my watch, great to chart progress, keep a count of burnt calories etc.

I've been doing weights for a year now, so my legs are actually already pretty toned thanks to squats. They still hurt a bit after some runs, but that's going now.

It's a Garmin watch, so data is uploaded to their site and I can see lots of analysis. Great for motivation!

Not bothered about races so far - maybe a bit too much discipline required. I'll be happy with being able to run solid for an hour. :D

was out last night, decided to take advantage of mild and still conditions, managed 16.6miles in 2hr 23mins. Doing a half marathon in january, so feel good Ive got the distance nailed. saturday morning track sessions should hopefully improve speed.

was out last night, decided to take advantage of mild and still conditions, managed 16.6miles in 2hr 23mins. Doing a half marathon in january, so feel good Ive got the distance nailed. saturday morning track sessions should hopefully improve speed.

Nice work!

It was really mild (although pissing down) last night, first time i've been for a run for a few weeks where my backside hasn't felt like a block of ice afterwards.

Started trail running too, which I really enjoy. And I've just discovered an extensive network of paths and trails very close to where I live, so I'm feeling reinvigorated with my running at the moment.

November to February is usually the time when my motivation really struggles. The cold NE wind and weather knocks on the head my preffered 5am morning runs as it's just too bloody cold.

I also got stuck on a country lane recently durign the floods when I was out running. It was pitch black and pissing down and the road was flooded at the bottom as it was a in a dip. I ended up wading through for about 20 yards in ****ty water, full of horse **** - i could smell it - over my knees. My hat fell off and my running tights started to fall down as they were water logged :lol:.

I looked like Swamp thing when I eventually made it home.

Still in rehabilitation from Ilio Tibial Band trouble. Running every other day, but my physio says I should only need one visit to him. Then I can just gradually build mileage again. I miss training with my club so hopefully I can get back in the next couple of months, once I've got my mileage up enough to support the sessions.

It's been so frustrating. I had planned out races I wanted to do and targets for the year:rolleyes: Not to mention the fitness I have lost.

Ah well, at least I get to run tomorrow 8)

Still in rehabilitation from Ilio Tibial Band trouble. Running every other day, but my physio says I should only need one visit to him. Then I can just gradually build mileage again. I miss training with my club so hopefully I can get back in the next couple of months, once I've got my mileage up enough to support the sessions.

It's been so frustrating. I had planned out races I wanted to do and targets for the year:rolleyes: Not to mention the fitness I have lost.

Ah well, at least I get to run tomorrow 8)

Have you tried crossfit? it's a great alternative to running all the time and has some great strength and stability benefits for your running too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZdp59yyG0M

You can get an endless supply of wods from this site.

http://www.wodshop.org/wods.html

No, I haven't really thought about that. I go to the gym on some non-running days, where I do weight training and sometimes use the elliptical trainer or bike.

The injury resulted from me moving house to a very hilly area. I was running more hills than I was used to, and even though I dropped my mileage to give myself extra recovery, I picked up an injury.

f*ck that. Just get out and do it. Whats the worst can happen , you have to stop?

Heart attack?

Only messing. Got out and done 3 miles down the beach last night whilst the evenings are still warm. Feeling it in the legs today.

Finding it hard to get going again. Previously doing 10 - 12 miles every evening was easy and enjoyable, now just getting out the house seems a pain.

Need to get over this mental hurdle.

Anyone signed up for any runs during the early part of next year? Fancy signing up for another proper run as a goal.

f*ck that. Just get out and do it. Whats the worst can happen , you have to stop?

I still haven't run much over 45 mins or much further than 4 miles. It's quite hilly around me anyway, but this is one big hill that leads up to my village (so I'd run down it first and on for a while and then back up). It would also need to be tackled during daylight. There'll be no running this weekend as Saturday morning (the only time advertised as not peeing down) I'll be going foraging. :lol:

I'll complete the challenge of running for an hour before I tackle this hill. ;)

wasnt trying to sound like a Sgt Major or anything saying that BTW, just that I find most people are surprised at how much more they can achieve than originally thought when they have a go!

I have entered a half marathon in january, hoping the xmas excess isnt too bad!

November to February is usually the time when my motivation really struggles. The cold NE wind and weather knocks on the head my preferred 5am morning runs as it's just too bloody cold.

3 words ... Merino, Roubaix and Sealskinz ;).

Started trail running too, which I really enjoy. And I've just discovered an extensive network of paths and trails very close to where I live, so I'm feeling reinvigorated with my running at the moment.

8) 8) 8) ... SO much nicer than running on a road - but need a really good pair of shoes so your ankles don't get twatted so easily. When I finally get back to Devon for a bit, I'm getting the Salomons out again. Really miss running in the coastal woodland. I sometimes take the terrier and run with him on a lead through the woods, which are on steep slopes above the cliffs and inlets. Downhill sprints are his favourite :eek: .. along with spontaneous off-path bolts in the direction of hiding pheasants :spank:

I also got stuck on a country lane recently durign the floods when I was out running. It was pitch black and pissing down and the road was flooded at the bottom as it was a in a dip. I ended up wading through for about 20 yards in ****ty water, full of horse **** - i could smell it - over my knees. My hat fell off and my running tights started to fall down as they were water logged :lol:.

I looked like Swamp thing when I eventually made it home.

:lol: :lol: :lol: ... I bet the Missus loved that ! You're lucky it wasn't a slushy day in January - would probably have caught pneumonia by the time you got home !

this is one big hill that leads up to my village (so I'd run down it first and on for a while and then back up).

I'll complete the challenge of running for an hour before I tackle this hill. ;)

Just do things at your own pace .. hills take a whole different kind of physical conditioning to longer runs on the flat. Any idea what gradient the hill is ? Running's different but I've cycled up one reasonably locally once a week of late, to try to build my stamina / conditioning. It's actually about 4 miles total but the steep section is 7.5% or 1:13 (if I'm reading this right) ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jtrickey/2915018046/lightbox/

The only thing which keeps me going through the sheer torturing pain of it is the promise of this view when I stop ... and the thought I get to freewheel down the other side of it on the way home :p 8) :arrow:

http://www.cheltenham4u.co.uk/leckhampton_hill.asp?area=Leckhampton,+Bath+Road

I guess for your hill run, the promise of collapsing back at home might be an equally encouraging motivation :lol:

Just do things at your own pace .. hills take a whole different kind of physical conditioning to longer runs on the flat. Any idea what gradient the hill is ?

No idea! But it's the kind of hill you sometimes have to drop back a gear in the car for. I do occasionally see runners on it, so it's not unbeatable. When I do it, it'll be interesting to see the data on my watch. Thing is, it's a while since I've had to walk while I'm on a run (bar one time when right thigh was in severe pain and I don't think it would have been wise to continue running) and I want to keep being able to say that. :lol:

The first few times I went out the tiny (albeit steep) slope on the other road route into the village felt like a major hurdle, but that's pretty easy now.

Thing is, it's a while since I've had to walk while I'm on a run (bar one time when right thigh was in severe pain and I don't think it would have been wise to continue running) and I want to keep being able to say that. :lol:

It's quite good to mix up sprints and walks sometimes, though - never go near a treadmill or track so just do what I fancy doing if out in the countryside. Prefer to be all-round-fit / versatile, even if I don't excel at anything (i.e. can do hills or sustained longer distances or short sprints etc. - it's all good !).

I've only been running a couple of months, and I guess pacing has been my main concern while trying to slowly up my distance and time out. One of the first pieces of advice I was given (after a bad first run, where I blew my beans way too soon :lol:) was to try and not fall back into a walk. Soon I'll be working more on speed... and that big hill.

Theres different schools of thought on walking during a run.

For instance some coaches advocate it as a way of controlling heart rate and allowing you to run quicker during a "run" segment. Like theses chaps for instance:

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html

http://bobbysez.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/walk/run method

However some people say that if you need to walk you have gone off quick and any extra speed you put in during a run segment is offset by if you just slowed down in the first place! plus its an image/pride thing to be seen walking isnt it!

However some people say that if you need to walk you have gone off quick and any extra speed you put in during a run segment is offset by if you just slowed down in the first place!

Those links are interesting. I'm a great believer in doing what you feel is right for you. I'm not training for events or anything and when I do run one of a few circuits I like (invariably trail/mixed terrain with woodland path, cliff-side, open grassland and sometimes beach) the usual length is about an hour.

Instinctively start with run-jog cycles for the first 20 minutes or so then pick up to a spell of steady pacing in the middle for a reasonable distance. In the latter 1/3 or so I usually move to fast sprint-walk cycles. The final 10% or so is always a fast run to finish for about 5-10 minutes.

The last 20 minutes are by far the part I love most - whether it's good practice in a conventional training sense or not, sprinting flat out (100-200m) a few times on a run with slow running / walking recovery after is what I enjoy the most. Preferably after hitting open grassland / trail with a view of the sea after a run through the woods - with no-one in sight for miles :D 8) .. hard to beat the feeling.

However some people say that if you need to walk you have gone off quick and any extra speed you put in during a run segment is offset by if you just slowed down in the first place! plus its an image/pride thing to be seen walking isnt it!

The feeling of sprinting flat out brings immense pleasure and it's my favourite type of running - hang the effect on overall time :D Since I seldom if ever run in places others frequent, am blissfully unconcerned about being seen walking most of the time ;) ... must confess though, the unexpected glimpse of a rambler does tend to spur me into a Marines-style power pace and sometimes messes up my rather loose routine. Heaven knows why :rolleyes: - am not usually bothered what anyone else thinks !

Last edited by a moderator:
Back