Spotlight Running Club

I tried running twice a day years ago, didn't find any benefit, rather the opposite. I run a lot anyway, last year I clocked up 1,168 miles! :eek:

So far, I've clocked up 35.5 miles since the new year. Out every night for a 3.5 mile run which is under street lights. Looking forward to the clocks changing with the longer daylight hours.

I've used my HTC Wildfire Android phone for the past year trying various applications; Endomondo, CardioTrainer Runkeeper and Addidas MiCoach. They all (as well as Garmin and other watches) can be imported to a website that I find very useful;
http://www.runningfreeonline.com

For me personally, for just recording my runs, I prefer Runkeeper as it can readout your average pace as well as other info at the intervals you choose. For structured training, intervals, increase performance/times, etc., Addidas MiCoach would be my choice.

I also have a cheapo HRM from Aldi (tenner in a sale) that I use at the same time. It's just to record average and max HR, I sometimes scare myself by checking it when going uphill. :lol: Gonna probably get a Polar Wearlink+ transmitter with Bluetooth HRM belt to link up to my Android phone. I know it works with Runkeeper and Endomondo.

These are my personal opinions, hope it helps.

Cheers
Les

I tried running twice a day years ago, didn't find any benefit, rather the opposite. I run a lot anyway, last year I clocked up 1,168 miles! :eek:

I've never even thought about how many miles i run in total, time to get on runkeeper and fine out lol

Wow some of you sound like pro's at this running malarky!!
I was up to about 5 miles this time last year (9miles a week) which was alot for me! Then I noticed I was just not enjoying it the same anymore so I quit and stuck to my yoga

The weather has been so good recently tho that the running has been beckoning me so I donned the trainers on Friday and went.. Had to do a mix of running and walking as my chest was tight as!!
Am going again Tomoz :) and looking forward to it
Any recommendations for iPhone apps ??

:)

Another Q for the pro's...

Do your legs ever stop aching when in training for an event, or is this a state of wellbeing I will eventually get used to?

Do your legs ever stop aching when in training for an event, or is this a state of wellbeing I will eventually get used to?

Hello :lol:

I'm no expert (in fact I could be talking complete rubbish :lol:) but from my personal experience your legs aching are probably a combination of you up-ping your mileage and your legs getting used to it, and also probably doing a bit too much too soon.

My legs feel really fresh at the moment training for this half marathon but when I was in full-on marathon training last year my legs sometimes felt tired when I was really putting the miles in. The best cure I found was to have a day or two off running and do some cross training - I was loving the swimming as it was using different muscles and rested my legs from pounding the pavements.

And your body will just get used to it - I've been out and run 3 half marathon distances in training in the last 7 days and my legs feel fine the next day, but I've been running pretty much consistently for well over 2 years now and putting longer distances in so my legs are more used to it. A couple of years ago, I couldn't have even comprehended running 13 miles, let alone done it :lol:

(I find Runners World magazine invaluable for running hints, tips, advice :oops::lol:)

Thanks for the reply. Funnily enough I bought a copy of Runners world at xmas, yellow cover telling me how to get lean:D

I am surprised just how enjoyable it is becoming, my thinking used to be "I really should have a run" and do a few km, whereas now I cannot wait for the next one. Brighton will be a struggle though, left it far too late to try and get ready. Very envious that you can blast out 13 miles like it's a stroll down the road. In fact reading many of the mileages on this thread makes me feel like an oap!

I find if you run at least once a week, the legs become accustomed to the pounding. I went out for a shakedown and was aching like a bitch for 2 days after 3 months of inactivity... slowly upping miles and running more intervals than trying to crack a long distance in one go.

For the last 6 months, im concentrating on running style and speed, in order to avoid running off my quads, and making my glutes and hip flexors do the job they're designed to do.

The only downside to this, is that my arse is about 1000 miles behind in training... :lol:

I decided to give 'I map my run' app a try tonight as heard that it was quite good.

Got to mile 9 and it said mile 8 for the second time...thought i was going crazy. Sticking to run keeper from now on. :lol:

Can anyone recommend earphones that will stay in the ears?:spank:

Spent a fortune over the past six months, latest where Jivo with a clip for round the ear, probably worse than the previous assortment I have tried, possibly as my ears are very small!

Can anyone recommend earphones that will stay in the ears?:spank:

Spent a fortune over the past six months, latest where Jivo with a clip for round the ear, probably worse than the previous assortment I have tried, possibly as my ears are very small!

its a tricky one, as usually one would try something on before you buy...

i got some which had 3 sets of diff sized moulds, none of them fit properly.

If all else fails. try taping them.

I'm now up to 10miles/100mins in training... not so sore today, recovery run/speed work tomorrow.

Also got through the Ballot for the Royal Parks Half this Oct, so thats my Autumn Race sorted.

This weather is pants:eek: Tried doing a long run on the treadmill yesterday, good grief what a chore and sooo much harder than running on the road.

I'm sure a lot of the energy of the stride is absorbed by the springy treadmill surface making the run seem more tiring, or maybe it's simply the monotony. Read on a running forum to set the incline to 1% etc, any views on treadmill running?

This weather is pants:eek: Tried doing a long run on the treadmill yesterday, good grief what a chore and sooo much harder than running on the road.

I'm sure a lot of the energy of the stride is absorbed by the springy treadmill surface making the run seem more tiring, or maybe it's simply the monotony. Read on a running forum to set the incline to 1% etc, any views on treadmill running?

It is ****e :lol:

I do quite a lot of sprint intervals on the treadmill but hate doing long distance on them now.
Last year i started off doing 13miles on them each sunday for my long run and could hack it, now the levels of boredom at staring at a wall are unbearable

now the levels of boredom at staring at a wall are unbearable

Isn't it usually more like MTV booty calls on the gym wall these days ? Level of boredom probably no better with that tho', thinking about it :!:

Got back in the sea for a long swim today and feel so much better. The water's not bad at all for Winter and the weather down here is still, dry, bright(ish), and a balmy 8 degrees. Looking at the rest of Europe I think we're pretty lucky really !

Treadmills = dull.

Looks like most of the snow/ice has cleared, so will go for one final long run tomorrow.

Nike Pro Combat hyperwarm base layers have arrived today, snug and toasty!

Bring on the Brighton Wind! :lol:

Set the treadmill to 10% and do intervals of 5 mins for 30m mins.

It stops it being monotonous, as you are too busy working out how to breathe.

:lol:

Plus i find it's good for hill work.

Back