Psychedelic Science

If you're genuinely interested in psych science, there are some amazing people working in the field who are easy to befriend on facebook and thus get a good insight into their projects. ❤

I haven't taken psilocybin mushrooms in a dozen years & then some. I remember when I was in high school I was selling them! :)

These days I can't afford to mess around, and, as some of you know, it doesn't mix well with my condition. I'm pretty stable, living with schizophrenia. More so when I avoid psychedelic treats. Anything psychoactive, actually, is pretty much out of the question for me. I was unprepared for that initially. But I'm used to the idea now and comfortable being sober. It's all good. B-)

I haven't taken psilocybin mushrooms in a dozen years & then some. I remember when I was in high school I was selling them! :)

These days I can't afford to mess around, and, as some of you know, it doesn't mix well with my condition. I'm pretty stable, living with schizophrenia. More so when I avoid psychedelic treats. Anything psychoactive, actually, is pretty much out of the question for me. I was unprepared for that initially. But I'm used to the idea now and comfortable being sober. It's all good. B-)

Yeah, seemingly psilocybin (in conjunction with therapy) can help with issues based on repetitive thought patterns (anxiety, depression, addiction), but should be avoided if you have schizophrenia. Any study I've read about generally won't take people with schizophrenia (or maybe even subjects who have a family history of it).

Mushrooms can work really well with bi polar, however you have to be really careful. They can help elevate your mood if you're in a mildly depressive state, but any lower than that and you're asking for a really horrific trip with a mindset full of regrets and a conscience the size of a small planet for weeks after. It's singularly unpleasant and really difficult to get to grips with. When you're more or less level I found shrooms to be an almost cleansing experience, almost like a reset button, de-cluttering your mind and clearing it of any negativity for a prolonged period. They are huge fun when you're at the lower end of a hypOmanic phase as you have boundless energy anyway and they boost your creativity and make you much more inquisitive, particularly about nature I found. I would avoid them completely when hypERmanic- they can trigger all manner of psychosis at a time when you're least equipped to cope with it.

David Nutt's Drug Science podcast is well worth a listen.

The latest one is on the topic of MDMA-assisted therapy being used to treat alcoholism.

Haven't listened to to this yet, but there's some really fantastic research being done with MDMA to treat PTSD, depression, etc. here in the states. They're getting some really promising results the last time I checked

Haven't listened to to this yet, but there's some really fantastic research being done with MDMA to treat PTSD, depression, etc. here in the states. They're getting some really promising results the last time I checked

This research is something I have also taken an interest in, I’ve read some very interesting and encouraging articles from the US about treating PTSD suffering war veterans with MDMA. Sounds like some good ground is being covered there.

I don’t think I’ve got PTSD, yet, but I’ve been self treating for a few years now just in case ? ?

I don’t think I’ve got PTSD, yet, but I’ve been self treating for a few years now just in case ? ?

It's really not that far off being a licensed treatment at all - think they're talking 2022 in the U.S. But it's the combo of the drug and therapy that's important. Looks like it could be eventually used on much younger people (as in kids) too - think that's part of later trials.

I wonder why more people aren't discussing this, when so many are talking about mental health. Do they just not know about it or does it still sound a bit fringe/dabbling in illegal drugs?

It's the "illegal" part. Once a drug is considered "class one" here it becomes really difficult for even legitimate researchers at universities obtain the materials and provide dosage to patient. The drugs are considered of no medicinal value.

It's the "illegal" part. Once a drug is considered "class one" here it becomes really difficult for even legitimate researchers at universities obtain the materials and provide dosage to patient. The drugs are considered of no medicinal value.

Yup, this correct. In the 70s and 80s they emergency scheduled a lot of drugs. This was done without much thought and mostly to force people who are convicted of dealing to get mandatory minimum sentences when convicted. Getting a drug rescheduled is a massive undertaking, it took over a decade to allow MDMA in a clinical setting. Same with marijuana, its still a schedule 1, and its ridiculous.

DMT brain scan experiment...

without wishing to sound like anyone's Dad, I would urge caution with mushrooms if you are in the wrong mindset. If you are stressed or anxious about stuff in real life, certain mushrooms can get dark and not in a fun way. At least this was my experience a couple of weeks back when a visiting pal brought some up. There was occasional laughter but mostly I was lying in bed for a couple of hours worrying about everything whilst my friends were at a bar in a totally different state of mind. I remember feeling ultra paranoid too. Whereas my previous times had all been pretty merry and funny maybe because my head was in a lighter place at the time. Hugely disappointing of course because I had hoped for something very different.

Back