Overcrowding

it's not often too full in ibizan clubs this year, they are also full of people completely clueless about the music, which is really terrible for the atmosphere!

I saw it among my own friends and work colleagues: people who would normally go to all inclusive clubs in tunesia or crete and rhodes were going to ibiza this summer for the first time,
because they were afraid of terror and financial crisis/refugees. people who NEVER go to an electronic music club at home were standing around in pacha and amnesia as a tourist attraction :/

Ive seen this too, it will pass I hope

(your post could also fit in this thread -http://forum.ibiza-spotlight.com/threads/im-sad.75926/page-9#post-878444)

I went to Coxy closing last year (or it was his penultimate night) and we lasted about 2 hours before leaving. Hour long queues for the ladies toilets, over 30 minutes to get from Sunset Terrace loos to the front of Discotecca and when we got there Nina Kraviz was mixing like cutlery in a washing machine. I'm too old and too grumpy to be somewhere that overcrowded, claustrophobic and boiling hot, it's not fun, it's not a pleasant experience, it's not safe and it's not worth £50 for the privilege. I dread to think what might happen if there is a genuine emergency one night

I went to Coxy closing last year (or it was his penultimate night) and we lasted about 2 hours before leaving. Hour long queues for the ladies toilets, over 30 minutes to get from Sunset Terrace loos to the front of Discotecca and when we got there Nina Kraviz was mixing like cutlery in a washing machine. I'm too old and too grumpy to be somewhere that overcrowded, claustrophobic and boiling hot, it's not fun, it's not a pleasant experience, it's not safe and it's not worth £50 for the privilege. I dread to think what might happen if there is a genuine emergency one night

I was there on that night too. Spent most of the evening on the Premier Etage listening to CDC and Alex Arnout spin some proper deep house. I tried the main room but it was beyond a joke, worse than Elrows (innit) this year.

The one we went to ? Wasn't crowded away from the thouroughfares ...

Yeah, it was clear at the back on both the main room and terazza (in fact the upper level of there, when its not VIP is one of the best clubbing spaces in the world if you can get against the rails with a view of the main floor).
The main room was rammo in the middle and to the right of the booth as you face it near the stairs.

Totally agree...

Yeah, it was clear at the back on both the main room and terazza (in fact the upper level of there, when its not VIP is one of the best clubbing spaces in the world if you can get against the rails with a view of the main floor).
The main room was rammo in the middle and to the right of the booth as you face it near the stairs.

Still wish I went when you did, was really looking forward to it and apparently it was the first sold out El Row of the season (July 23rd). Was bedridden nursing a chest infection in Es Canar eee

Still wish I went when you did, was really looking forward to it and apparently it was the first sold out El Row of the season (July 23rd). Was bedridden nursing a chest infection in Es Canar eee
It was actually slightly underwhelming. @kimajy hit the nail on the head when we left, pointing out that "it was a Space crowd not an Elrow crowd" which summed it up in one.
Still an experience to go.

Over crowding has always been an issue in Ibiza, its not a new phenomena. Ive been to Amnesia for Cream when people have literally fallen through the fire escapes as the room burst. Ive also seen Privi on fire at Manumission with widespread panic as the exits were not up to the required standards to deal with the sheer volume of people trying to escape. What I saw at Revolution last year was in no way different to those experiences (minus fire) but there was still room on the terrace for some breathing space. Crowd management, not over capacity venues as a whole appears to be the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
But correct crowd management in most of these issues surely would be restricting the numbers going in? And managing a crowd in an unsafe venue for the top end of their allocated legal cutomers is nigh on in impossible if your statrting with an unsafe venue (amnesia particularly)

But correct crowd management in most of these issues surely would be restricting the numbers going in? And managing a crowd in an unsafe venue for the top end of their allocated legal cutomers is nigh on in impossible if your statrting with an unsafe venue (amnesia particularly)
Venue capacity and crowd control are two different things. In my experience of overcrowding in Ibizan clubs the issue is not one of letting too many in, it's moreover letting too many go into the same space in the venue. That is the cries control issue that seems to go unaddressed in Ibizan clubs. If addressing it properly means less people get into the overcrowded space then so be it. At least the risk of an accident will be reduced.

Another major issue in Ibizan clubs is design and crowd flow. Imo in the U.K. Health and safety is over legislated in much of life but you simply would never have that narrow corridor between the rooms in amnesia. One day I fear something bad will happen there.

The other issue in Ibiza is filling the clubs with crap that are not people yet not reducing capacity, step forward elrow.

Different standards due to different legislation.

Last edited by a moderator:
So much over thinking, ibiza has been over crowded 30 years in a row at peak season, it's not changing any time soon.
And it's not only ibiza that does it.

So much over thinking, ibiza has been over crowded 30 years in a row at peak season, it's not changing any time soon.
And it's not only ibiza that does it.
Not sure where you are getting the over thinking from. It's real. You just said so yourself. And of course it's not new, it's been said on this thread several times. Of course it takes place all over the place. Point is it's about risk management. It's the reason why there isn't a love parade anymore.

Amnesia is the worst culprit for over crowding, the crush between the main room and terrace can get bad at times, just think if there was a fire, which could be even more likely now with Elrow and all the flamable crap they have all the place and falling from the ceiling!

Molten lilo stuck to you face anyone?

The one event which was ridiculous was Elrow...I was wedged in so bad I couldn't even lift my arms!! Made worse by the characters coming out and pushing everyone out the way

I think to myself that it usually can happen at venues with 2 or more rooms...People generally want to be in the main room and especially if there isn't diversity in music style to differ a room from the other

Good thing about Together at Amnesia was you had different genres in each room so it was spread really well

This is something that really freaks me out, I read a book not long ago where the bad guy was killing people by causing people to panic, e.g. get some smoke going in a club so people run for the same fire exit. There wasn't even a real fire, they just died because they panicked and there was an immense crush. It was fricken terrifying. (It was fiction by the way...). Hillsbrough is also another horrifying reminder of how things like this can happen.

Just because something is normal in a location doesnt make it ok. Before Hillsborough, crushing situations were really common at football grounds in terraces but it took a huge disaster to make people question it. 90% of my clubbing experiences in Ibiza have been amazing, but once in a while (Space closing a few years back and Amnesia closing), you just couldnt move and eventually, something will happen.

yeah i've been to Pacha (Guetta) & Space (Cox last 2 years) on nights where crowd management wasn't the issue there frankly was no room for anyone else to fit inside. Here in the US the fire department sets the maximum # of people that can go into a club and once that's hit they stop (realistically they sometimes squeeze a few more in but they don't push it).

I refuse to go to Carola just based on the pics i've seen of Friday nights there of the terrace...

I went to several Manumissions over the years and don't recall feeling it was horribly overcrowded... even with 10K people there. Very busy yes but not unsafe...

Back