Overcrowding

I went on Tuesday and it was busy but bearable. I was on the Terrace and the sets were all good to very excellent and the ovation for Digweed at the end was special for me. Then did an hour with Carl Cox and that was fine.

I've been going to Space for 16 years. it's lost; the open terrace and some of the fun element, the great long sessions and more eclectic nature of the crowd. But I prefer the music that's played now and the sound system is miles better than in my early times.

So me the Mrs and our 2 friends who are in Ibiza for the first time went to cream closing last night and safe to say that it was an absolute nightmare, you literally could not move, even the vip was rammed solid, was pretty gutted to be fair because our mates first experience of amnesia was shite, and a night me and the Mrs had been looking forward too for a couple of months was ruined, I've never experienced that sort of overcrowding before it was unreal! I've never minded paying the prices before because we have had some epic nights in there but when you walk out of there over 300 quid down for the 2 of us and had such a shit night it makes me question if would ever go back again.

So me the Mrs and our 2 friends who are in Ibiza for the first time went to cream closing last night and safe to say that it was an absolute nightmare, you literally could not move, even the vip was rammed solid, was pretty gutted to be fair because our mates first experience of amnesia was shite, and a night me and the Mrs had been looking forward too for a couple of months was ruined, I've never experienced that sort of overcrowding before it was unreal! I've never minded paying the prices before because we have had some epic nights in there but when you walk out of there over 300 quid down for the 2 of us and had such a shit night it makes me question if would ever go back again.

Sorry to hear that. What room are you referring to ? We turned up at 1.30 and walked straight in, and found the terrace very comfortable all night. We were pretty much level with the men's toilets on the right hand side. At some points towards the end of Mark Knights set I would say in parts there was too much room. We left at 4.15 due to a 8am taxi to the airport but my Cream experience was the same as closing last year - fine.

That said the main room when we left did look very full

12,500 on a night with no car park open!??!?!!? That can't be right!! :eek::eek:

a capacity of 2000 in the main room La Discoteca and another 4000 spread out over the steel and glass Terraza, the partially outdoor Sunset Terrace, the upstairs Caja Roja space and the El Salon lounge, it’s easy to understand why Space is the most awarded club in the world. For the opening and closing parties, a giant dome structure is fitted in the outside carpark to increase the club’s capacity to 10,000, making these some the most anticipated moments of the season.

Sorry to hear that. What room are you referring to ? We turned up at 1.30 and walked straight in, and found the terrace very comfortable all night. We were pretty much level with the men's toilets on the right hand side. At some points towards the end of Mark Knights set I would say in parts there was too much room. We left at 4.15 due to a 8am taxi to the airport but my Cream experience was the same as closing last year - fine.

That said the main room when we left did look very full

Both rooms were unbearable, I could not find any space, at about 4am the main room became just about bearable and had about an hour of pvd. I'm glad you had a good I wish mine was the same!

I've been very critical of Cream (especially in the days when they had the stage down at the main room/terrace end) but i've got to be honest i think you are talking rubbish. I was there last night for all of Ferrys set in the main room (busy but room to dance comfortably) and then a bit of PVD and then we spent the rest of the night in the Terrace for Mark Knight and Fatboy Slim (busy but again not uncomfortable and we were in there down the front from just after 3ish until nearly 6am) It was actually waaaaaay quieter than a lot of Cream closings i've been to and as far as the VIP being rammed?!?!?!?! lots of room to chill out and have a breather and room to dance in both sides comfortably. I'm 43 now so i like my space and a bit of a chill out every now and then and the picture you are painting about last night is hysterical nonsense

Was in space this year went outside for a smoke started chatting to this guy who worked there dressed abit different from others so probably higher level got speaking I asked about capacity and he said we're legally aloud 9 thousand but in sometimes they get it "wrong" and on Carl cox nights it hits 12 or 12 and half thousand people lol just said when it hits that amount of numbers all staff are strict on the flow of people going room to room and are strict on people standing next to doors or doorways or stairs etc

Those people youre talking to in your head talk b*ll*cks

I've been very critical of Cream (especially in the days when they had the stage down at the main room/terrace end) but i've got to be honest i think you are talking rubbish. I was there last night for all of Ferrys set in the main room (busy but room to dance comfortably) and then a bit of PVD and then we spent the rest of the night in the Terrace for Mark Knight and Fatboy Slim (busy but again not uncomfortable and we were in there down the front from just after 3ish until nearly 6am) It was actually waaaaaay quieter than a lot of Cream closings i've been to and as far as the VIP being rammed?!?!?!?! lots of room to chill out and have a breather and room to dance in both sides comfortably. I'm 43 now so i like my space and a bit of a chill out every now and then and the picture you are painting about last night is hysterical nonsense

We spent a good hour in the vip and agreed there was obviously more space than downstairs but it still was very busy and couldn't get near any of the side rails to enjoy the atmosphere, this was my first closing party, I've been to cream a few times before and every time has been epic, I wish I could of have enjoyed it as much you did but myself and people I was with found it far far too busy

I'm glad you had a decent night, but I stand by what I said, I really did not find any enjoyment in it being that busy, I've been to cream a few times before and all visits have been epic, but last night was just far too busy for me or the people I was with to enjoy.

Agreed there was more space upstairs than downstairs, but it was still too busy to even get near the side rails to to look at the dance floors

We spent a good hour in the vip and agreed there was obviously more space than downstairs but it still was very busy and couldn't get near any of the side rails to enjoy the atmosphere, this was my first closing party, I've been to cream a few times before and every time has been epic, I wish I could of have enjoyed it as much you did but myself and people I was with found it far far too busy

I'm glad you had a decent night, but I stand by what I said, I really did not find any enjoyment in it being that busy, I've been to cream a few times before and all visits have been epic, but last night was just far too busy for me or the people I was with to enjoy.

Agreed there was more space upstairs than downstairs, but it was still too busy to even get near the side rails to to look at the dance floors

Not done VIP in Amnesia before but can you not just walk round the whole bit ? The balcony that runs down the left side as you look at the DJ box seemed like it had hardly anyone on it for most of the night ?!

Amnesia has always suffered from the very bad bottleneck between rooms, I remember at Together one year they had the stage down the far end of the Terrace and that was impossible to move between rooms.

I've been going to Ibiza for 20 years now, and the overcrowding in clubs is a much bigger problem now than it has ever been.

Luckily for me I'm privileged enough to be invited backstage and therefore I often don't have to endure the "dance"floor for extended periods, as much as I would like to as its what the music was intended for, it's been pointless in peak times for about 5 years now at Space on a Tuesday and DC10 on a Monday.

This year is the first year I've actually thought it was dangerous - the Elrow closing at Space on Saturday was pointless, the left hand side of the main room should never be a VIP area and this created a horrendous bottleneck between the main toilets / sunset terrace and main room. At one point they blocked the stairs to stop people going up to the upstairs terrace which meant even more people were trapped in this corner of the club.
DC10 was worse on Monday night - as soon as it finished outdoors, the melting pot (which was already chockers) became dangerous. How anyone can enjoy being pinned in by the shoulders and in that heat I've no idea. I gave up, despite Carl Craig being what I went for, we went home at 1am.
Carl cox closing was fantastic but horrendously busy. It took a full hour to get from the stairs to the stage at the front stage right to the back of the old terrace at around 1am. Luckily I didn't pay to get in, but if I had (and some of my party had to pay 3x face value from ticket agents around PDB), this level of overcrowding would have ruined my night.
One day this is going to bite everyone on the arse in a big way - I'm amazed there hasn't been a major crowd surge / crush incident yet at Space, Amnesia or DC10. Every year I come back it's seems the promoters want to push the boundaries. At best what they are doing will devalue the experience meaning people won't come back. At worst people will die, the promoters and security management will go to prison and the clubs will be shut down.

So fallen angel is king of free guest list and this guy has to go one better and claim he's invited to go behind the decks......maybe fallen angel is off his nut and we have an alter ego on our hands :rolleyes::D

I seem to remember watching Ibiza uncovered in the late 90's when manumission had a huge problem at privilege, can't remember if it was a fire or something but was carnage!
Am I imagining it? :lol:

my two cents on the subject:

my ibiza history 'only' goes back 13 years (means 2004 was my first time). my view is that there were always nights that were extremely crowded. as ollie says above, manumission was definitely just as bad as circoloco, carl cox, elrow and a few others are today. I also remember that back then cream in the main room (when trance was still huge) was rammed. we love was also extremely busy week after week. a few nights at pacha too.

so in my opinion, it's probably true that nowadays there are more nights that are that busy in comparison to 10 or 15 years ago. but that's simply because ibiza nowadays has more tourists than ever before (this is a simple fact). also, those 'packed' nights normally change after a few years. years ago pure pacha was a good night, but not one you felt claustrophobic. today it's an extremely busy night from mid may to start of october. or an example that's the other way around, when cocoon still had all the tech gods as residents (2006-2009 ca), there wasn't one night all summer you actually had 'enough' space to dance. now it's mostly just perfectly busy.

to sum up, I don't agree that the overcrowding has gotten worse per se. but it's true that nowadays, more nights are very very busy while years ago it were just a few.

Back