Michael Jackson dead?

So would Jesus Christ.

I did say I wasn't denying his influence on modern music.

(I still can't hack listening to him for longer than five minutes tho)

James Brown however... 8)

Well he did die in 1977 Rob, were you even born then?! I'm sure if you were a young lad in his heyday he would have had more of an influence 8)
Yes, perhaps.

But the thing about Elvis was that he was not a pioneer but an imitator. He stole much of his sound from the gospel and blues of the black community in the South, and rockabilly of artists like Carl Perkins.

Michael, while coming of age in a much more mature rock/pop/r&b market, had a knack of innovating. He had an original sound. I have a lot more respect for his contribution to music.

Yes, perhaps.

But the thing about Elvis was that he was not a pioneer but an imitator. He stole much of his sound from the gospel and blues of the black community in the South, and rockabilly of artists like Carl Perkins.

Michael, while coming of age in a much more mature rock/pop/r&b market, had a knack of innovating. He had an original sound. I have a lot more respect for his contribution to music.

I agree... even as far as performances go. Every male solo artist before him was in front of the camera/audience singing and playing an instrument... Jackson was the first to combine singing with dancing. And look at how many artists have followed in his footsteps. Now I'm not saying that those guys who followed are good, but still.

He created the music video as well, as far as giving it a story. Again, when you look back at other artists, you have a guy/girl in front of a camera performing the song at thats it. Jackson, gave the music video a beginning, a middle and an end, and again... almost everyone followed suite immediately.

I would have to agree that I personally found he contributed to music much more than Elvis.

J

Are you thinking of being my baby? ;)

No but I'm thinking of being your brother HOOO lol nasty pic in OK magazine of Michael dead with tubes coming out of his mouth being carried to the stretcher... as much as I couldn't help having a peek its just horrible !!

No but I'm thinking of being your brother HOOO lol nasty pic in OK magazine of Michael dead with tubes coming out of his mouth being carried to the stretcher... as much as I couldn't help having a peek its just horrible !!

As sick as this is, can you post please? :oops:

Yes, perhaps.

My opinion is that MJ had a lot more to crib from,a good singer,great dancer,songwriter? sometimes.His best album imo ,Off the wall, had contributions from stevie wonder,rod temperton and paul McCartney.
I think it was Quincy Jones' production (as with Thriller) that sealed the deal.
The key thing, I think was the crossover of markets, that led to his massive selling power,also the rise of tv video (kudos on the mtv breakthrough)
Since those early days he has always used collaborators that were musical stylists (however fleeting)I feel to little gain.
Dancewise I think he owes a lot to broadway and the old musicals,and of course James Brown.
As for being a pioneer,Sly Stone gets my vote 8)

will discuss elvis and sheep on drugs another time maybe ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Very valid points. The contribution of Quincy Jones shouldn't be overlooked. He is a genius.

And James Brown's influence on his dancing as well.

I don't think the fact that MJ collaborated with other artists diminishes his contribution, but the involvement of Jones and the inspiration of JB should be similarly credited.

Crossover from pop to rock was a key point.... having Eddie Van Halen rock out on a dance tune like Beat It was brilliant.

I agree... even as far as performances go. Every male solo artist before him was in front of the camera/audience singing and playing an instrument

flip me jc, you're joking aren't you?

black american music is full of performers dating back decades before michael jackson. cab calloway, louis jourdan from the jazz era, little richard could sing dance and play the piano at the same time and have you never heard of ike and tina turner?

even miles davis could move - but only in the boxing ring!

As a side point, I won a gazoo at Glastonbury and discovered that my horn talents are actually superior to those of Miles Davis. :eek:

flip me jc, you're joking aren't you?

black american music is full of performers dating back decades before michael jackson. cab calloway, louis jourdan from the jazz era, little richard could sing dance and play the piano at the same time and have you never heard of ike and tina turner?

even miles davis could move - but only in the boxing ring!

:oops:
Ok Ok. Maybe I over stepped the mark by saying he was the first ever to sing and dance ... but for a certain (MTV) generation I think he certainly made it a hell of a lot more popular. I mean, how many teenagers/young people in the 70's and 80's do you know of that knew who Cab Calloway and Louis Jordan were or were even interested in what they were playing when there was a guy like Michael Jackson around? Personally, I wasn't and I'm sure I'm not alone.

And anyway, was Louis Jordan not more famous for playing the sax? And Cab Calloway surely didn't become popular with said generation until his role in the Blues Brothers? Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.

J

Last edited by a moderator:

****ing horrible, i was going to mention this as well

i really resent having a picture of a dying man shoved in my face in a ****ing shop

im not up or down about his passing, but thats really taking the ****ing biscuit.

Nothing but a kiddy fiddler and everyone is so sad for him it makes me ****ing sick good riddance to bad rubbish

Back