Make Privilege big again

There are some events that are absolutely roadblocks during and July and August but don't forget they also run in June, September and October and most promoters like to run in one venue all year.

For example if you moved say Music On to 'new Privilege' theres an opportunity to sell more tickets than Pacha does in the peak months, but it risks looking half empty in the others and soon as word gets round that nights aren't busy that bad press can stick.
But that’s all it takes. These epic long seasons, clubs running 7 popular nights a week, large scale vip and the clubbing decline of San An are all relatively new things. Some would say the sudden hikes in entry and bar prices are too, although inflation is a debate to be had. Change and competition can be good. But it depends how it is managed. The issue with that is that the Matutes have a stake.

Out of interest and to refresh my memory, I just took a stroll down memory to look at the Hï Ibiza weekly calendar in 2017 (its first year open)

Mon - Martin Garrix (forgot he had 2 weekly residencies at such a young age)

Tue - Eric Prydz (free agent at the time)

Wed - Armin van Buuren (moved from Ushuaïa)

Thu - In the Dark (combo of Luciano, Nic Fanciulli, Kölsch, Steve Lawler)

Fri - Glitterbox ("homeless" - the only survivor from Space. Afterlife moved to Privilege as it was in 2017 for one season)

Sat - Black Coffee (with the exception of Prydz, who left and then came back, Hï's only permanent presence and, at the time, a fraction of his current profile)

Sun - Hï Sundays with EDM DJs (which morphed into Cream in 2018, albeit them acquiring the licence as opposed to the Cream promoters)

When you compare it today's highly successful programme, it's a staggering difference

It also tells me v.few established promoters and artists, beyond the ones TNL had existing relationships with, fancied taking a punt on Hï until they had observed it in action

Now, assuming new Privi would also be TNL-run (I see no reason why Matutes would deviate tbh EDIT: and in fact Yann has mentioned his involvement already i forgot!), it might be that whatever it becomes gets the rub from Ushuaïa and Hï's reputation. Then again, promoters and artists might still be wary of a big (a very big) unknown

Last edited:
I think the quintessential thing here is this - if it stays as big as it used to be, or anywhere close to it, with the current competition on the island, both inhouse for TNL and elsewhere, whatever they present there, has to be massive. it will really only cut the mustard if you've got things like massive resistance line ups (to put one example), guetta, rihanna or beyonce or similar in concert, maluma in concert... anything below this will just not get the numbers right now with how much else is going on in all the other venues.

I'm only speaking for myself now, but it is exactly what I'm wary of right now.

I think the quintessential thing here is this - if it stays as big as it used to be, or anywhere close to it, with the current competition on the island, both inhouse for TNL and elsewhere, whatever they present there, has to be massive. it will really only cut the mustard if you've got things like massive resistance line ups (to put one example), guetta, rihanna or beyonce or similar in concert, maluma in concert... anything below this will just not get the numbers right now with how much else is going on in all the other venues.

I'm only speaking for myself now, but it is exactly what I'm wary of right now.
You know far more than I ever will about this subject, and I agree with the sentiment. But big in clubbing terms is different to big in concert terms. A 10k club capacity is a stretch for most djs. It’s small fry for the vocalists you mention. They are selling out 90k venues multiple times a week for a lot of weeks.

The new venue may make provision for live acts. But if they got Ultra back, took Solomun off Pacha, Elrow off Amnesia and added a new night that was at the forefront of dance music and isn’t in Ibiza now, that’s them practically filling the venue 4 nights a week most weeks. That’s without touching what Matutes offer now. And that’s way more than ku / privilege ever did. They won’t need 10k punters because a vast part of the space will be vip. The issue is it is giving Matutes a stake in nearly everything that’s popular.

Last edited:
the ideal project for me is to recreate a big unpretentious discotheque, good music with a big PR team that distributes bracelets at the right price to bring young people back to the island with a big techno party where everyone bursts . in fact, recreate why the majority of us are here now 20 years later 🥳 I know I'm dreaming 😅 good night 😘

the ideal project for me is to recreate a big unpretentious discotheque, good music with a big PR team that distributes bracelets at the right price to bring young people back to the island with a big techno party where everyone bursts . in fact, recreate why the majority of us are here now 20 years later 🥳 I know I'm dreaming 😅 good night 😘
Add in world peace while you are at it...and reasonably priced drinks!

Was just watching this - he mentions he's going to ride at an abandoned club... I thought it was going to be Festival!

7:28

The problem with live music thing is Ibiza is difficult to get to, expensive and takes time. The amount of logistics to get a band / artist and their set up in place is pretty big.

If Beyoncé is used to doing 4 nights at 80k capacity venues, why try and do Ibiza for 10k people ?

The problem with live music thing is Ibiza is difficult to get to, expensive and takes time. The amount of logistics to get a band / artist and their set up in place is pretty big.

If Beyoncé is used to doing 4 nights at 80k capacity venues, why try and do Ibiza for 10k people ?

Agree, though some artists may like the prestige of having it on the tour poster 'live in Ibiza' sounds good for a live album, TV special etc too

We went around the club in July, the original sofa’s were dumped outside and thousands of bottle tops and even some of the large champoo bottles, it was mad to see it all.

The Vista sign was hanging on by a thread ( or weeds )

We actually said hello to the workmen and had a good look around. I forgot that people live literally yards from the front door of the club

Some fresh info...

They detail that the facilities are in a state of "absolute abandonment" and "very deteriorated", which makes it difficult for the new project, which is in an "embryonic" situation, to be ready for the summer of next season.

The same sources explain that the discotheque, as it is, would not pass any municipal inspection and, as an example, they point out that the facilities have neither air conditioning nor enough bathrooms or emergency exits.

For all these reasons, Grupo Empresas Matutes assures that it will work to open a "proper discotheque", they specify, and to recover "the good name that the discotheque had in the past".

They remind that with the opening of the discotheque, which probably will not keep the name Privilege, they are playing with the "safety of customers and workers" and also "with the Ibiza brand".

IMG_20231102_075036.jpg

Back