*** Ibiza Gossip 2017 ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
The young uns see Sasha and Digweed as some sort of godlike legends I reckon. Sasha is playing at fabric Saturday night, I'd bet my mortgage on the fact it'll be absolutely rammed with a mixture of youngsters wanting to see the old school legends and older ravers ...... wanting to see the old school legends. I think they'll be just as popular as Cox

maybe their two nights where deep/ tech house people will choose from.

I would say I come under this category, traditionally visiting Coxy on a Tuesday except for last year when we opted to go see Maceo Plex @ Mosiac.

However I would go and see Prydz on a Tuesday and I know a lot of people who would do the same; it mixes the week up musically.

Maceo is in trouble I think. I'm a fan of him and the concept. But 2017 is already twice as hard as 2016. It's a shame.

Yeah I'd probably agree with this. But, as we state a lot, Pacha is a 20 week season, not an 8-10 week season like say Resistance/Pryda etc. Maceo has most of June just against Together (completely different crowd), and by mid September/October (when more of his crowd are there) he will have Tuesday to himself. However....that of course leaves July and August (the two busiest months). As I said before the other 3 nights are pretty heavy British and young crowd, whereas Maceo is pretty Spanish, International etc. How many Brits did you come across at Maceo's night in Pacha last year? Not many. That said, it is going to be a roller-coaster season I would imagine.

sasha, digweed, cox, tong, lawler, cook - the new corporate heritage acts, the Rolling Stones and Eagles of the dance world. Who needs ambition or imagination when you've got bankable nostalgia...

sasha, digweed, cox, tong, lawler, cook - the new corporate heritage acts, the Rolling Stones and Eagles of the dance world. Who needs ambition or imagination when you've got bankable nostalgia...
you really don't think the DJ's you mentioned have ambition ? Fair enough if they don't play what you like, but I'd say with what they have planned for Privilege this summer, that shows huge ambition.

Thing is, no one really knows where old DJ's go to die yet, because we haven't really seen it happen. And at least Carl Cox has said he won't go down the EDM style fireworks route.

you really don't think the DJ's you mentioned have ambition ? Fair enough if they don't play what you like, but I'd say with what they have planned for Privilege this summer, that shows huge ambition.

Thing is, no one really knows where old DJ's go to die yet, because we haven't really seen it happen. And at least Carl Cox has said he won't go down the EDM style fireworks route.

I just think they're all dinosaurs however well they're packaged

and I say that as someone who grew up on northern exposure

I don't begrudge any first-timers curious to see what all the fuss is about - but it is ultimately just a nostalgia ride

I am around for that closing party of resistance.

I am a little confused as to Carl Cox.

Huge Coxy fan. But he is playing 2 dates at Privi for his "Pure" brand. Which is his new concept of stripped back techno music that he started I think in Australia.

Then we have 6:8 nights with Sasha and Diggers leaving 2 night as yet line up to be released.

This resistance thing looks like the complete opposite of the pure concept but then we have the fact that Carl Cox is the global ambassador for the movement.

All very confusing.

I don't begrudge any first-timers curious to see what all the fuss is about - but it is ultimately just a nostalgia ride

Interested why you think it is a nostalgia ride. It is not as if Cox is still banging out techno tunes from 1990, or playing the same set over and over. Does age really matter? Or are we saying those DJs have no right to be headlining the big nights, festivals etc?

Not sure I get your point

Interested why you think it is a nostalgia ride. It is not as if Cox is still banging out techno tunes from 1990, or playing the same set over and over. Does age really matter? Or are we saying those DJs have no right to be headlining the big nights, festivals etc?

Not sure I get your point

I'm not being ageist - loads of old-timers (like Harvey, Weatherall) still play great music. I think though the hype machine around likes of S&D is out of proportion with anything they've done in recent years. so people are drawn to them cos of their reputation in the past. it's safe bet for the clubs but not exactly cutting edge and hardly the 'here and now', especially when there are loads of fantastic younger guys with new ideas, sounds who deserve those slots.

I'm not having a go at the DJs themselves (although my views on Tong are well documented..) but the club bookers for being lazy and lacking imagination

They have created this through their achievements. And they are all enduring. That's why they remain a draw. Unlike many other popular djs from 90s. These guys have all remained relevant. The likes of oakie, park, Healy et al haven't.

I just think they're all dinosaurs however well they're packaged

and I say that as someone who grew up on northern exposure

hard to see how they win then. pack up and go home once you've been around the block ? I agree with Springal, it's not like they're just banging out sets of classic tunes.

No one says Sven is trading on nostalgia. If you're good enough, you're good enough, no ?

I'm not being ageist - loads of old-timers (like Harvey, Weatherall) still play great music. I think though the hype machine around likes of S&D is out of proportion with anything they've done in recent years. so people are drawn to them cos of their reputation in the past. it's safe bet for the clubs but not exactly cutting edge and hardly the 'here and now', especially when there are loads of fantastic younger guys with new ideas, sounds who deserve those slots.

I'm not having a go at the DJs themselves (although my views on Tong are well documented..) but the club bookers for being lazy and lacking imagination
be good to see some up and coming DJ's on the bill with them to be fair

It should just be about the quality of the music/DJ'ing. Age is irrelevant. Anyone been to a Sasha or Digweed night recently? I have, and it blew my f***ing socks off. Unlike The Martinez Brothers, Jamie Jones, Ben UFO or whatever other 'new DJ', who I always just find totally average. In the main, the new wave of DJ's aren't even in the same league as Sasha and Diggers. Just like Ryan Giggs, they'll be amazing until they retire

I am around for that closing party of resistance.

I am a little confused as to Carl Cox.

Huge Coxy fan. But he is playing 2 dates at Privi for his "Pure" brand. Which is his new concept of stripped back techno music that he started I think in Australia.

Then we have 6:8 nights with Sasha and Diggers leaving 2 night as yet line up to be released.

He said it was 2 nights only for his pure night. Can't see him just playing 2 nights at Privilege all summer...

tbh I've heard uninspiring sets from both sasha and digweed too....
It should just be about the quality of the music/DJ'ing. Age is irrelevant. Anyone been to a Sasha or Digweed night recently? I have, and it blew my f***ing socks off. Unlike The Martinez Brothers, Jamie Jones, Ben UFO or whatever other 'new DJ', who I always just find totally average. In the main, the new wave of DJ's aren't even in the same league as Sasha and Diggers. Just like Ryan Giggs, they'll be amazing until they retire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back