*** Ibiza Gossip 2017 ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care about the djs or the party's,never did..just book holiday with the family or with Mrs and if something is on when we're there we might give it a look..So it kinda is the same for me the last 25years... biggest change I noticed was when the mojito took over from the vodka limon as the drink of choice...fckn yuppies..

This ibiza forum isn't as good as it used to be..:)
Haha. I'm well aware I'm doing what I accuse others of doing! I'm as bad as anyone here when it comes to moaning about certain things not being what they used to be.

I know so many people who gave up on ibz because it basically spat them out. the free spirits all fcked off to Croatia where you can still dance under the stars

nostalgic? of course they're gonna be nostalgic. hellloooooo!

i personally wasn't around during the halcyon years so I don't have those memories but what I do know is that it shouldn't have to be such a military operation to find a night that fits the brief. i'm sure it wasn't always thus

God bless Harvey. He gets it. the best parties should always feel like a knees-up at your friend's house. mates 4 life etc. great tunes that blow your mind, memories, transcendental experiences dry humping a speaker, leading a conga, fornicating in the flowerbed. whatever

as for old farts whingeing - some of it is related to us getting on but I don't think your love of music ever dies - if you grew up at a time when clubbing/raving was raw, dangerous and genuinely life changing then today's extortionate disneyland clubbing is inevitably going to seem just a little bit..... shit

I know so many people who gave up on ibz because it basically spat them out. the free spirits all fcked off to Croatia where you can still dance under the stars

nostalgic? of course they're gonna be nostalgic. hellloooooo!

i personally wasn't around during the halcyon years so I don't have those memories but what I do know is that it shouldn't have to be such a military operation to find a night that fits the brief. i'm sure it wasn't always thus

God bless Harvey. He gets it. the best parties should always feel like a knees-up at your friend's house. mates 4 life etc. great tunes that blow your mind, memories, transcendental experiences dry humping a speaker, leading a conga, fornicating in the flowerbed. whatever

as for old farts whingeing - some of it is related to us getting on but I don't think your love of music ever dies - if you grew up at a time when clubbing/raving was raw, dangerous and genuinely life changing then today's extortionate disneyland clubbing is inevitably going to seem just a little bit..... shit
Sorry mate but you are just proving my original point. As I do from time to time!

also worth noting, there's different types of old farts. you get the guys who live in the past. 'back to 95' nights anyone? see here (v funny read if you have the time)

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8gvy7a/rave-video-comments-will-restore-your-faith-in-humanity

.....and then you get the ones who are all about the here and now. now that doesn't mean dyeing your dome and crashing some kiddie tech fest. you don't have to have that M-L Crisis.

it means supporting nights which lend a nod to the roots (the aesthetics, the atmosphere) and yet which are still as much about exploring exciting new music. that is where you'll find me.

Of course the music matters, but for me it's mainly about having the right people there and a spirit of engaged togetherness with strangers through the music. You still find it in the most unlikely of places and settings. Where this is replaced by introverted DJ worship and selfie-central pose-a-thons the whole point of it all for me is lost. And the trend in over-commercialization has done little prevent the latter from becoming dominant.

I really don't care whether people look individual / cutting edge or like they've escaped from an Asos holiday shop pop-up promo. Whether they look like West End reps, sombre Berliners or mum and dad with their late teen kids. Or whether they are 20 or 50. Just as long as they contribute to the party positively and get involved.

I've got no doubt that for some people they feel the atmosphere I'm talking about even during some EDM nights, in the same way others do at pop concerts and live events but it's coming from the particular people that are there and how they respond to the event more than from the music and setting per se. So long as those events are sparking happiness and unity amongst the people there I can't actually point a finger of condemnation in their direction. They may not work for me but some clearly do for others. HOWEVER, my experience of several nights over the last few years has been pretty demoralizing in terms of atmosphere, crowd and setting. With so many people and so many parties going it's inevitable a lot will fall short of the 'mark' I'm basically referring to. I've little doubt a pretty empty and vapid atmosphere along with a sea of mobile phones on Eric Prydz night is what I'd likely walk into at Hi right now. So obviously a bit of common sense is required !

I "crashed" what some might term a "kiddie tech fest" at Neon Nights in Sankeys a few years ago and remember it vividly to this day. Day-glo and white trainers everywhere, and it was one of the most electric and rewarding dancefloors I'd been at in ages. The tech was the current fashion at the time but very danceable and tbh it was down to the crowd that night, full of energy and movement, love for the music and love for each other whoever they might be. That same year Underground was an empty shell of a place with mainly washed up casualties sat around in their little groups doing their best to have a good time when they should've probably done everyone a favour, taken a handful of valium and had an early night.

As I've already mentioned, the few parties I went to this year were all great. So I'm still of the mindset that the 'spirit' is very much alive. For me the test of a party is whether you can be away from your group or go alone, and still enjoy every minute of it along with random others there. If it passes that test it's a winner :cool:. If you feel you have to bring your group along to make something work then it's not :idea: ;)

When i read the last comments here,i am surpised how you never talk about the island itself,the people you normally have met year after year,and the friendship you have built with time...
It is all about the parties and the clubs,nothing about the island and the ibicencos,or the friends you met there and kept.
Today i just go to ibiza for the beauty of the place and the friends i have there,and if a good party comes to me,thanks god,but if not,who cares?

on a purely non-clubbing level, I totally agree with jimmiz - the food, drink, nature all lure me back and I've made lifelong friends out of it. I also find that when I'm actually on the island, a lot of my habitual cynicism tends to dissolve, because there is so much goodwill.

^^ this - and I get steered to parties more than I seek them out ! But then this is the "Ibiza Parties and Clubs" section of the "Clubbing" forum and that's maybe why the content is focused on those particular aspects of the island in this particular thread :idea:

on a purely non-clubbing level, I totally agree with jimmiz - the food, drink, nature all lure me back and I've made lifelong friends out of it. I also find that when I'm actually on the island, a lot of my habitual cynicism tends to dissolve, because there is so much goodwill.
That's the kind of positivity I'm referring to. Good stuff. Hope you carry on enjoying it and don't retire off to Tenerife!

For me the test of a party is whether you can be away from your group or go alone, and still enjoy every minute of it along with random others there. If it passes that test it's a winner :cool:. If you feel you have to bring your group along to make something work then it's not.

Fantastic observation -- and thanks for that reminder! I've done most of my Ibiza trips solo (few friends have time + money + interest to make the trip with me from the U.S.), but was really looking forward to doing a week with a friend for a change next month. I'd been feeling a bit down about trip this evening after he decided today not to go, but this got me back in a better mindset about it all.

For me the test of a party is whether you can be away from your group or go alone, and still enjoy every minute of it along with random others there. If it passes that test it's a winner :cool:. If you feel you have to bring your group along to make something work then it's not :idea: ;)

I'll run that past my girlfriend and let you know how I get on..

I'll run that past my girlfriend and let you know how I get on..

:lol:

I know what he means though, one of my best club experiences in ibiza was in 2005 raving with a bunch of italians for a few hours at cream while pvd was djing having been split up from my mate, music was a load of shite but the atmosphere was amazing and i just went for it. The cocoloco from the infamous Tirri might have helped somewhat. That same crowd would no doubt be all on snapchat etc. these days.

I just seen on the Diynamic website HOSH is playing Circoloco on the 18th September. Whats deal with tickets? Can't seem to get tickets via spotlight and DC10 website doesn't have them up. Are they always late release?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back