*** Ibiza Gossip 2017 ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ditto what Dirk said

as I see it, if you're over 40, it's all about

salinas, HLT, BHS, pikes + maybe dalias or veto on a good night

or any below radar private/secret events you have access to

the rest of it, the shitty nights, the bling, the trashy bars and cocks that frequent them, can all go and get nuked

^ditto what Dirk said

the rest of it, the shitty nights, the bling, the trashy bars and cocks that frequent them, can all go and get nuked

Couldnt agree more. Me and the Mrs are mid 40's and felt it this year. Although i have too say i did enjoy rumours. Was a decent-ish crowd apart from a russian cock throwing his weight and wallet around. No disrespect meant but there where a lot of bellends on tour..

If you're 40 or over just go to Clockwork, it's proper old school raving

It was brilliant. But I also enjoyed Cocoon and the afters especially immensely, and even the unplanned Radio 1 thing despite the heat and crowds - albeit in different ways. It's too easy to play it safe and let our preconceptions dictate what we do and where we go, I think that filtering out 90% is still advisable when you're jaded but making the effort to dip your toe in now and again with an open mind can be very rewarding too :cool:.

I know what you're saying.

Solomon at Pacha last year is in my all time top three Ibiza experiences, and I'll be going back to see him again in October.

Some of the 'new' nights are still very, very good too......Clockwork was amazing, but it's not the only good thing left. And in fact, if you're after cutting edge tunes you'll be massively disappointed!! I generally love 90's house but some of it has not aged well at all!!

^ditto what Dirk said

There is still plenty for over 40s to do on the music front in Ibiza beyond the nights and events you mention. Solomun, cocoon, circo loco, plex, clockwork, woomoon, prydz, hyte, resistance, cream and rumors all provide decent nights from house to trance to techno to prog to old skool to chill out. It just depends what you like or are willing to give a chance to like. At 42 i can't say I much like the events you mention apart from pikes but each to their own.

None of it is how it used to be. No one in their 40s is how they used to be either. It's a case of enjoying the memories, embracing the current opportunities that tickle your fancy, trying new things that intrigue you and discarding the rest. Not aimed at anyone specifically on here but constantly saying it's not as good as it used to be, moaning about vips, how the music and people don't suit you and generally pining for the past simply sounds like jaded, past it sentiment from clubbers that need to find somewhere else to go on holiday.

Last edited by a moderator:
It isn't just a case of saying it isn't as good as it used to be. If things don't change, it won't be anything like it used to be.

If I didn't still enjoy the music and Ibiza, I wouldn't go. However, people have the choice to just roll with it and see what happens (obvious to me) or try and highlight and hopefully influence small changes for the better. Everyone has a choice.

I am in my older years and been going to Ibiza for 40 years since I was a kid. Not a huge fan of the retro nights thing as I believe there is so much good music still to be discovered. I look forward to making new memories each year (last year was up there with the best), but mostly down to the friends I go with and nights you really have to hand pick these days.

Looking forward to what you think of Pikes this year Dirk..

We always have a good time, but mostly down to having a good circle of friends who get properly stuck in. We have been fortunate to normally having a good crowd staying there also when we are there so fingers crossed.

None of it is how it used to be. No one in their 40s is how they used to be either. It's a case of enjoying the memories, embracing the current opportunities that tickle your fancy, trying new things that intrigue you and discarding the rest. Not aimed at anyone specifically on here but constantly saying it's not as good as it used to be, moaning about vips, how the music and people don't suit you and generally pining for the past simply sounds like jaded, past it sentiment from clubbers that need to find somewhere else to go on holiday
- ^^^^ no reply this is an automated message. ^^

Yep! Dog shit,automated post,always follows a post that rightfully criticises sections of Ibiza that deserve it.

No-one on here is pining for the old days. What many are pining for, is originality,individuality,good music,people and style. Which create the vibe and atmosphere ibiza is famous for. Many on here want those standards upheld,not the old days.. And the people the automated post seems to refer to as pining for the old days,were not at the clockwork weekend,and I doubt any went to dance 88/89 when it was running. So you need to alter/reboot the automaton...

All that automated post says to me. Is ,it's not as good as it used to be,but it doesn't matter,I had my fun when it was good. And I'm an old c*** now who's embraced the mainstream,because that's what everybody else seems to have done...?

Last edited:
Just one more thing. Do some of the pillocks on here ever bother reading the threads -

Ibiza where is your essence. Or

What some of the locals think. ( that should probably be changed to - most locals? )

If they bothered,they might change their minds on alot of the issues discussed ,rather than their 7 day holiday in the sun.?

i discovered a fantastic little club in BCN last night called Red58 - some guys called Palm Grease. very deep and druggy house music. awesome system in a dark room. djs at eye level. no cameras anywhere. no advertising. no billboards. no inflatable bananas. decent crowd. no dickheads. friendly staff. loads of cool spanish girls. 5e to get in, if you stick your name on the facebook wall. that's all people like me are after. it isn't such an old-fashioned concept.. but reading certain posts on here, you'd think i was a dinosaur

Blunt and to the point as per Joe :lol:
I totally get the 'something for everyone' in Ibiza but understand the unfortunate fact that it seems Ibiza's charm could be lost or diluted due to the points joe raised. But that said a lot of negativity is being based on the usual tourist traps which isn't the best Ibiza has to offer anyway.
A lot of folk who think they love Ibiza are so obsessed with line ups and brands year or year they're on here moaning they need to book flights based on a night or a dj, there's nothing magical or spontaneous about that.
For all of the negative press I've read this season I'm looking forward to my return, 48 days not that I'm counting :D
Speaking to kymagy a couple of weeks ago has reassured me the spirit is still a plenty on the island its just a case of getting away from the crowds, that suits me fine. In fact the mear thought gives me butterflies after all these years!

- ^^^^ no reply this is an automated message. ^^

Yep! Dog shit,automated post,always follows a post that rightfully criticises sections of Ibiza that deserve it.

No-one on here is pining for the old days. What many are pining for, is originality,individuality,good music,people and style. Which create the vibe and atmosphere ibiza is famous for. Many on here want those standards upheld,not the old days.. And the people the automated post seems to refer to as pining for the old days,were not at the clockwork weekend,and I doubt any went to dance 88/89 when it was running. So you need to alter/reboot the automaton...

All that automated post says to me. Is ,it's not as good as it used to be,but it doesn't matter,I had my fun when it was good. And I'm an old c*** now who's embraced the mainstream,because that's what everybody else seems to have done...?
Not understanding the automated post comment.

Unfortunately you only speak for yourself, not others. There are numerous posters pining for the past that post on here.

You talk about standards in your minds eye. What you are really referring to is change. Your decline in standards is others idea of progress.

88/89 was a club night playing tunes from the era. It wasn't a tardis.

The amount of whinging and moaning from old timers about how Ibiza is today compared to the past is written for all to see.

It isn't just a case of saying it isn't as good as it used to be. If things don't change, it won't be anything like it used to be.

If I didn't still enjoy the music and Ibiza, I wouldn't go. However, people have the choice to just roll with it and see what happens (obvious to me) or try and highlight and hopefully influence small changes for the better. Everyone has a choice.

I am in my older years and been going to Ibiza for 40 years since I was a kid. Not a huge fan of the retro nights thing as I believe there is so much good music still to be discovered. I look forward to making new memories each year (last year was up there with the best), but mostly down to the friends I go with and nights you really have to hand pick these days.
Totally agree. Maybe if the positives were espoused more by the old timers rather than focussing on negatives associated with change then it would be a better forum. The old timers negativity really drags it down imo. The experience could be such a good thing as the prolific nature of the posters demonstrates a love for the island.

Last edited by a moderator:
i discovered a fantastic little club in BCN last night called Red58 - some guys called Palm Grease. very deep and druggy house music. awesome system in a dark room. djs at eye level. no cameras anywhere. no advertising. no billboards. no inflatable bananas. decent crowd. no dickheads. friendly staff. loads of cool spanish girls. 5e to get in, if you stick your name on the facebook wall. that's all people like me are after. it isn't such an old-fashioned concept.. but reading certain posts on here, you'd think i was a dinosaur

Would have been better with at least one infaltaable banana though?

Totally agree. Maybe is the positives were espoused more by the old timers rather than focussing on negatives associated with change then it would be a better forum. The old timers negativity really drags it down imo. The experience could be such a good thing as the prolific nature of the past demonstrate a love for the island.

I don't 100% agree people are being negative, just calling out how it is. If it continues going the way it is, it may change to the point that Ibiza isn't really Ibiza anymore.

Even if you're younger, you must still recognise what a good night and crowd is like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back