*** Ibiza Gossip 2017 ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.ibiza-voice.com/story/news/9362

What we already knew...attendance being down and all.

But Ibiza has ALWAYS been expensive. This isn't new. Yes there is more VIP and whatever, but actually I'd suggest that inflation etc is growing quicker than Ibiza ticket/drink prices, which surely works in 'our' favour?

I am also not sure you can compare renting a boat to going clubbing. They are different things and serve different purposes.

I can buy Tesco Value curry for £1.99, or I can go to Goodmans in London for a £100 steak dinner, I may like both but they serve different purposes.

It's like saying why not just go to Benidorm? It has a beach and sun and hotels will be a lot cheaper than Ibiza.

I believe the boat thing refers to throwing a boat party, yeah it's not the same as clubbing but probably closer to the after party that everyone is always chasing.

Ibiza has always been expensive, but it keeps getting MORE & MORE so, while other places are catching up, and there are MORE & MORE affordable alternatives, sometimes with the exact same artists performing to a very similar crowd, if not better.

75€ just for entry to a club... I mean, rock concerts, with full bands and artists performing over 20 years don't cost as much.

I don't think the drink prices have changed much in the last 7 or 8 years, MOST club tickets are similarly priced.

The thig which is making it so much more expensive for us from the UK is Sterling is so weak against the euro now.

Only a couple of years ago I was getting €1.45 for £1. Now I'm lucky to get €1.10 for £1.

That's €350 less for every £1000. Huge difference.

doesn´t matter - springal still has a point. a concert is normally 2hrs max. here you get up to 8hrs of action for the same price. it´s what I tell people all the time if they complain about ticket prices. it´s expensive no doubt, but I don´t think it´s outrageous.
Club hours are also becoming shorter & shorter each year.

The days of 20 hours of we love (for 50€ + free drink) , followed by 20 hours of cirocoloco (25€ + free drink) are long gone... It's become another way to get you to go to more events and pay even more.

On an average Ibiza club night, you get 5-6 hours of action, and on daytime events much less... not exactly something to write home about.

I echo what has been said.

It has always been and always will be an expensive holiday if you are out and about at night doing whatever.

For people coming from the UK it has become increasingly more expensive due to the crash in the value of the pound

For instance, say normally I change £2,000 into €'s before I leave.

A number of years ago I remember getting €2,760 for this. For my trip in September anything over €2,000 will be a bonus.

The actual island I don't think is getting anymore expensive, just your money doesn't go as far as it once did.

I still wouldn't go on a clubbing holiday anywhere else in the world though....:)

The underlying point of that article as I see it is that twenty years ago it was ibiza or nowhere for me and most others if you wanted to enjoy good music in a nice place.

Nowadays fans of the music have loads of options to go elsewhere. if at some point people feel they are being ripped off, or squeezed out by the VIP culture in ibiza, then go elsewhere is what they will do.

the hotels, beach clubs, businesses on the island are free to pitch their offering at whoever they think is best for them at whatever price they want.

However, the danger for the clubs is that the punters they covet nowadays don't generate the atmosphere the venues are famous for. If the 'standard' punters vacate, you'd be left with clubs that are just bigger versions of the London venues such as Tramp, Annabelles, China whites (ie. Places that may be exclusive, but are hardly at the cutting edge of music development). Hands up if you'd go clubbing in Mayfair?

I'm not saying the rich can't have good music taste, of course they can.

But remember that rock n roll, punk, hip hop, house, techno, in fact pretty much all the successful modern music genres were started by poor/outcast sections of society. so keeping a healthy mix of people from all backgrounds is important and €12 for a 330ml bottle of water does put that mix at risk.

so keeping a healthy mix of people from all backgrounds is important and €12 for a 330ml bottle of water does put that mix at risk.

that, in my humble opinion, is the main issue. with prices (not just tickets, but almost more food, drinks, accommodation) being so high and also the island going a more upmarket route (2-3 star hotels going 4-5 star and thus getting more expensive, lots of businesses just trying to get the not really existent VIP clientele), that healthy mix is going lost right now. my take was always that ibiza used to work so damn well because it had something for everybody and exactly this is endangered right now.

that, in my humble opinion, is the main issue. with prices (not just tickets, but almost more food, drinks, accommodation) being so high and also the island going a more upmarket route (2-3 star hotels going 4-5 star and thus getting more expensive, lots of businesses just trying to get the not really existent VIP clientele), that healthy mix is going lost right now. my take was always that ibiza used to work so damn well because it had something for everybody and exactly this is endangered right now.
It's still there, just not so overt. It's as if offering value for money isn't seen as cool?

Two main clubs now offer drinks deals, that must mean they are sensing something?

It's still there, just not so overt. It's as if offering value for money isn't seen as cool?

Two main clubs now offer drinks deals, that must mean they are sensing something?

of course it´s still there but it´s undeniable that, compared to 10 years or even 5 years ago, the affordable accommodation options have diminished heavily and the more upmarket ones have grown massively.

as for the drink deals in the clubs...it´s a two-edged one this. yes some of the people do realise prices should come down. on the other hand, you wouldn´t believe how many people buying drink vouchers end up not using one or two of them...which means in the end the venue makes exactly the same benefit.

Exactly Div
I don't deny the situation with accommodation with less choice.

If you're savvy, you can make it work. But then I'm 45 years of age and focused on one destination. Not 20yrs and looking for a value holiday in the Med with my mates or girlfriend

Exactly Diver, I don't know the numbers obviously but the vast majority of people who go to Ibiza are only interested in going there, other places are not even given a moments thought. I am one of these people as well and as a result you do probably end up paying over the odds

Well, my first time in pacha for years last week and yes VIP is noticeable. I can sort of understand when it's crammed but why would you buy a table on the left hand side as you go in next to the restaurant? No view, mixing of tunes as you are in between...I just don't get it.

My mate came back from palma yesterday. He went to one of them beach clubs, some rip off, 50€ for a double bed with 2btl water or 2 smoothie free... 6€ a pint,10€ for G&T..

What I've also got an issue about is people that work there (not residents) that moan about it being august and it's so terrible etc. god sake, you're working in one of the most beautiful places, your are only there because the tourists come and ultimately that's what pays your wage. Yes there is the sustainability question but come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back