*** Ibiza Gossip 2017 ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Disclosure roster is way better than I was expecting!

And Harvey is doing bits this year - popping up everywhere! I hope he doesn't overdo it. I know he's still gonna be playing few-and-far between in the grand scheme of things. Less is more with him though

Hmmm. I don't agree that DJs have to look like they're enjoying themselves, but you can't possibly claim you can be reading the dancefloor without looking up every once and a while.

It's only a short clip, so it's not really a fair assessment. But having your head buried down the entire just isn't right. Seen Joey Negro and B.Traits before do the same thing. Neither looked up once.

I think there's a difference between the DJ knowing what's going on on the dancefloor, and the entire or majority of the dancefloor continuously watching the DJ. That is unnecessary.

when I go out to a club, I barely look at the DJ*, I couldn't give a monkeys what they're doing, provided the music sounds good. I'm there to dance, get high and hang out with my mates.

at Fabric, I couldn't even see the DJ! old school eh. I went for years and to this day could not tell you what terry francis even looks like

*the one exception is Joe Claussell cos he's hilarious

Yeah, I agree. But as I say, there's a difference between the dancefloor watching the DJ, and the DJ looking at the dancefloor.

it's the old shepherd/sheep debate. There are some DJs I know like Rub 'n' Tug who genuinely couldn't care less whether the room is packed or dead and will play whatever they want. I'm talking seriously weird, unclassifiable music. Fantastic selectors (imo) who will take you to places your Lawlers never will but from a commercial angle it probably explains why they're cult players rather than major league superstars

when I go out to a club, I barely look at the DJ*, I couldn't give a monkeys what they're doing, provided the music sounds good. I'm there to dance, get high and hang out with my mates.

at Fabric, I couldn't even see the DJ! old school eh. I went for years and to this day could not tell you what terry francis even looks like

*the one exception is Joe Claussell cos he's hilarious

Fabric is an outstandingly well designed club, built for proper ravers

nah, I really respect DJs with the balls to stick to their guns, it's not ego, it's principles. if the crowd is open-minded, they'll stick with it
I agree to some extent but with your logic anyone can be a world class DJ, learn to mix and just play what you want. You have to be able to pick the rights tracks at the right moments for the right crowd and that's what makes a DJ, world class

I agree to some extent but with your logic anyone can be a world class DJ, learn to mix and just play what you want. You have to be able to pick the rights tracks at the right moments for the right crowd and that's what makes a DJ, world class

yes - obviously it depends on lots of factors - the noodling is best suited to non-peaktime and in back rooms

and of course, nobody wants to play to an empty room but DJs will vary in degree between those who simply want to entertain and those who want to educate

Spoilt bastard that I am, I want them to do both

a lot of the cult DJs do lose me at times by playing strange records at the wrong speed or whatever, but I totally respect them for trying and not enough DJs take enough risks imo, which makes it all just a bit more boring

You can't miss them now because they put their heads on massive screens. We stayed for about an hour of cuckoo land the other night and had a view of the pool.still couldn't see anyone dj, names I never heard of flashing on the screen so they must have been there somewhere..:confused:

doing his job?

he's not paid to look at the crowd
I wasn't digging him out. It was a genuine question from someone who like you goes out gets in a mess having a good time listening to music I enjoy. I don't face the dj or film crowds in clubs. Don't even take my phone with me as I would lose it. I know vinyl is pretty much non existent and it's all cdj's but he doesn't look like he's doing either. So can't make out how he is playing when he is just clicking on a computer. I would have thought there was more to it at his level that's all

This is spot on, I bet the first time people go half of them have no idea where the booth even is in room 2!
First time I went fabric was 2001 I remember walking in and you literally couldn't see your hand in front of your face there was so much smoke. If you walked thru the dance floor with your mate you had to hold his shirt or you would lose them in the fog and wouldn't see them again all night. To this day I couldn't tell you where room 2 or 3 are. I'm sure I've been in them but just don't take notice of what is where

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back