*** Ibiza Gossip 2017 ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you stay the full 19 hours. Mauro Picotto blasting out lizard near the end?
No mate. Stayed for jules that followed oakie. Heard Sasha play xpander for the first time earlier in the evening. Terrific day and night.

20 years?! From 95-99 he was held in the same regard as Solomun etal is today. He may have not been to everyone's taste back then but he has played a massive role in the development of the uk and Ibiza club scene and slot of people on this forum wouldn't have even heard of Ibiza let alone visited the island if it wasn't for him and his colleagues. I agree he sold his soul and is largely irrelevant now but it's not always been that way. Short memories or naivety or ignorance, call it what you will.

Completely agree with you there, in fact was trying to make the same point. Should have said 10-15 years :)

1997-ish Oakenfold and his GU:NY mix were fantastic and spent many an hour in my CD player...but he lost me around 2001 - going by memory so dates may be off slightly but it def was barely past 2000...the summer he joined the lineup of a summer festival tour in the US, just after the first Perfecto Presents. Downhill from there, but lots of respect for his 90s work.

Completely agree with you there, in fact was trying to make the same point. Should have said 10-15 years :)

1997-ish Oakenfold and his GU:NY mix were fantastic and spent many an hour in my CD player...but he lost me around 2001 - going by memory so dates may be off slightly but it def was barely past 2000...the summer he joined the lineup of a summer festival tour in the US, just after the first Perfecto Presents. Downhill from there, but lots of respect for his 90s work.
Yep, totally agree. His slide down hill started in 2000 and by 2001 I'd totally lost interest. His decline was quite rapid. He focussed on the dollar and started to go very commercial and very early. In many regards his commercial focus was well ahead of the game imo. But for that mid to late 90s period he was brilliant, ground breaking and played the biggest role In popularising trance that was actually trance. Unfortunately this was the architecture of the downfall of the scene too and it's never had another day in the sun since.

he was one of the first DJs to really whore his soul. You could argue he was the founding father of modern DJing.

a bit like Tong really, guys with sharp business brains who quickly realised how easy it was to make a buck out of dance music

loved and still do - that GU:NY cd
that era he was on top form - Cream opening in 98, the Perfecto nights in 2000
went to the USA and lost it

But like I say seen him at Cream Liverpool closing and Ministry and he was decent at both of them in recent years too.

But like I say seen him at Cream Liverpool closing and Ministry and he was decent at both of them in recent years too.
He has his moments still. Saw him a few years back in Leeds and he was brilliant. It's annoying when you know the dj still has it but has reverted to the commercial dark side on the most part.

loved and still do - that GU:NY cd
that era he was on top form - Cream opening in 98, the Perfecto nights in 2000
went to the USA and lost it
I remember when he was getting pelters for being on 10k for a theee hour set back in his cream days. Two decades ago but remarkable how things changed. Him going to the states and becoming commercially focussed was a sad day but started the whole edm nightmare that followed.

he was one of the first DJs to really whore his soul. You could argue he was the founding father of modern DJing.

a bit like Tong really, guys with sharp business brains who quickly realised how easy it was to make a buck out of dance music
Can't disagree with that.

Agree to a certain extend, but Tong pushes all electronic music. Yes he's made a lot of money, but he never 100% sold out to say EDM. Plus he's more natural DJing tech-house. And many of us here agree on a good night he can give you a brilliant tech set.

Agree to a certain extend, but Tong pushes all electronic music. Yes he's made a lot of money, but he never 100% sold out to say EDM. Plus he's more natural DJing tech-house. And many of us here agree on a good night he can give you a brilliant tech set.

IMO Tong used to play out whatever was flavour of the month
these days he seems to have stuck with a certain style

People that say Pete Tong is commercial or whatever haven't actually heard him. For years he has played very housey, almost Diynamic / Solomun style.

People that say Pete Tong is commercial or whatever haven't actually heard him. For years he has played very housey, almost Diynamic / Solomun style.

Totally agree. And to a certain point you could agree that this is the "in" style.

Pete Tong is probably the DJ I've heard most live over the years and I have to say he hasn't disappointed yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back